Still Loving it - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
TinPony

Default Still Loving it

Still by far my favorite aircraft in DCS world, this bird has it all good and bad. I really get a sense of achievement when you fly this weapon 200nm and land (not always a good one) you really feel like you’ve accomplished something great. I recently made the move to VR ( amazing) to experience the tiny tiny cockpit and your face up against the gun site with barely enough room to breath was an eye opener.

Don’t get me wrong the f18 is a close second but I can’t set auto pilot in the spitfire and go mow my lawn...never gunna happen.

I’m hoping for a WW2 pacific theater in the near future with maybe a chance to fly the seafire fingers crossed.
TinPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
tintifaxl

Currently my fav WW2 plane in DCS, too. Followed very closely by the P-51.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
philstyle

Despite my gripes with the development process for the Spit (and the wider WW2 side of DCS), I agree, it's still a damned fine and fun aircraft to fly.
The DCS base platform just seems to lend itself so nicely to the high-powered prop machines. It "feels" like a machine with mass and momentum.

I too love to trim her out at 18,000ft with low boost and cruise RPM, then just sit there gazing out the canopy.
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
DeepDrummer

+3
I Love them all but the Spitfire is what gets me into the cockpit and gives me the greatest pleasure.
I fly 2-4 missions a day in it and work on missions and campaigns regularly if not daily.
I am still noticing things that have been fixed over the years and everything works quite nicely.
The Mag test works now. The prop test works now. The supercharger test works now.
One can actually do an entire proper pre-trip and procedures and everything works.
This is an amazing aircraft if one takes the time to learn it all.
Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.
"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth
DeepDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDrummer View Post
+3

I Love them all but the Spitfire is what gets me into the cockpit and gives me the greatest pleasure.

I fly 2-4 missions a day in it and work on missions and campaigns regularly if not daily.

I am still noticing things that have been fixed over the years and everything works quite nicely.

The Mag test works now. The prop test works now. The supercharger test works now.

One can actually do an entire proper pre-trip and procedures and everything works.

This is an amazing aircraft if one takes the time to learn it all.
I wish I could say the same for the P-51. I grew up watching Mustangs on the history channel, and now it's my main go-to plane. But it's frustrating when the only engine test that works is the governor check
+4. The Spitfire is just amazing. Even though I said the Mustang is my go-to, I fly both pretty 50/50, and it's especially satisfying landing the Spitfire in a grass field with a slight crosswind. I can almost feel my mustache grow.
https://youtu.be/jXEo0vE2-_Y
Old 03-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
Grajo

+1 also!

After the mighty Mi-8, the Spitfire is the module that I fly the most.

The level of reward and achievement that you got after taking it for a ride and coming back without a scratch is just good enough to make it still, after many many landings.... really a joy.

*Funny video, by the way :], Magic_Zach.

http://www.halconesrojos.com/
Grajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
Wolf8312

Nothing like it. Without doubt my favorite module, and am totally with the OP about how good landing feels when perfect. Only problem is the prop artifacts in VR with MS or ASW on. Because without MS recently on the Vive anyway, game is way too stuttery during sharp turns. Really wish they'd fix it.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H,1080Ti OC edition, i7-8770k 5ghz, 1 T SSD, 16GB DDR4 3200, HTC VIVE, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, Gametrix JETSEAT, Voice attack
Wolf8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
TinPony

I get the same problem with the prop in VR with the rift. ASW is just a nightmare and should be given a life sentence and the key thrown away! Never been able to turn it off...
TinPony is offline   Reply With Quote