Magnitude MiG-23?

Beamscanner

So i'm missing the posts right now, but one of the magnitude devs has hinted that their product was being tested by ED (or was about to be?).

A few months ago, another mag dev mentioned that they were trying to release a module this year but it wouldn't be the F4U corsair.

We also learned awhile back that Razbam couldn't get a licence to make the MiG-23 because another dev already had the licence. At the time I assumed Belsimtek was working on it. But now we know they are working on F/A-18C, F-4E and MI-24 (plus other far off products like Cobra and F-15).

I doubt the helo-devs and Aviodev are working on it. So that only leaves Heatblur and Magnitude. I imagine that before they separated they'd had thought a MiG-23 would have been a great module to compliment their F-14, having been from the same era.

So does this seem logical or have I found myself under a tinfoil hat?

EDIT:

Here are the posts

Magnitude hoping to release new module this year: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3104496&postcount=37

But not the F4U: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3103568&postcount=35

Edited by Beamscanner

We also learned awhile back that Razbam couldn't get a licence to make the MiG-23 because another dev already had the licence. At the time I assumed Belsimtek was working on it. But now we know they are working on F/A-18C, F-4E and MI-24 (plus other far off products like Cobra and F-15).

It is a reasonable deduction, although IIRC Wags didn't say that any other dev is working on it, but rather it was granted/allocated to another party. Might as well be in the far plans of ED themselves.

On the other hand, seeing the state of the MiG-21 after all these years of "development", I'm not sure if I want a MiG-23 from the same company.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Back during the split Leatherneck/Magnitude facebook page commented that they are not working on MiG-23.

On mobile, can't look for the comment now but, should be easy enough to find.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Dang. I would have put money on them developing the MIG-23.

SU-17 perhaps then?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

http://leatherneck-sim.com/coming-soon/

The dark and splotchy image on the background with LN logo on it, I've downloaded it, and brightened, increased contrast and sharpness too. Process revealed a P-38 Lightning WIP model in the background. That may, or may not be what's in store.

After all, it specifically says "Do expect surprises" there, and using irrelevant aircraft in the background for the sake of it was a practice in the previous, pre-split Leatherneck website.

At this point, all we can do is to engage in idle speculation, but from what LN said so far, we may get news from them during the next month or two.

They had an office in Poland before the split, don't know if it still exists, and if it does, did it go Heatblur or Magnitude's way. If latter, with potential access to Polish Fitters, it may indeed be a possibility but, that's just really pure speculation at this point. Not one I find exceptionally likely either. I'd absolutely love it though. A Marines aircraft to fit with LN name may be a possibility too. Or perhaps a former Yugoslavian one to which Novak may have access to, though not sure how marketable would that be.

I think we'll find out "soon" :)

DCS-Dismounts Script

that's old.

Probably they work on a F104... or F16 :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

LN was registered in Poland, because that's where Cobra's family had other business registered as well, Cobra himself having spent a few years in the country too. So after the split, it most definitely went the "Heatblur way".

We'll see what future brings, although I follow some1's sentiments about potential development of any MiG here, especially now, with Magnitude being in the rough and bumpy phase of their company expansion.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I know they said they aren't doing it, but I really hope its just a ruse.

It shares 80% of systems with the MiG-21, they said they'd do one eventually, and I don't see what other module they could have developed so quickly with nobody knowing what it is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know they said they aren't doing it, but I really hope its just a ruse.

It shares 80% of systems with the MiG-21, they said they'd do one eventually, and I don't see what other module they could have developed so quickly with nobody knowing what it is.

I don't recall ever saying they'd do the Flogger, eventually.

They said they'd like to, I know that.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I don't see what other module they could have developed so quickly with nobody knowing what it is.

"quickly"?

It was publically said before the company split there were multiple teams. Some of the staffers were on the Viggen and Tomcat teams who moved to Heatblur, and the remaining staffers working on something else and became M3.

They've split, and the something else has stayed with LN/M3.

You'll probably find this unknown module has got at least 18 months of dev behind it already.

"quickly"?

It was publically said before the company split there were multiple teams. Some of the staffers were on the Viggen and Tomcat teams who moved to Heatblur, and the remaining staffers working on something else and became M3.

They've split, and the something else has stayed with LN/M3.

You'll probably find this unknown module has got at least 18 months of dev behind it already.

18 months isn't quick to you?

MiG-21 took 4 years, and the F-18 has been going for god knows how long.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Things change though.

Well it sounds like they are the ones with the licence for the MiG-23, but maybe not something we will see anytime soon.

Things change though.

That still isn't proof positive, however I had not seen that and it's a lot more positive than what I had previously seen. So, that's cool! But, the information from March is a damp cloth.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Considering the current manpower situation at Magnitude 3 (as far as we know), the short development cycle and the apparent advanced stage of the module, I think we should expect a very simple aircraft. In my opinion the MiG-23 doesn't sound probable at this point, except perhaps for the MiG-23MS.

If they still have some connection to the Marines, perhaps the OV-10A Bronco?

MiG-23 is a simple aircraft when compared to most other modules.

The fact that it was supposedly developed in such short time makes the MiG-23 a good guess, as it is so similar.

Again, it's most likely not a MiG-23, but there is some decent evidence towards it

1: They made the MiG-21 and it shares so many systems with MiG-23

2: They finished it fairly fast, so it would make sense for it to be something that is very similar to the 21

3: They said they will be doing one eventually, all though this was almost 3 years ago

4: MiG-23 mod and Razbam module were mysteriously shut down with the reason being locked behind an NDA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MBot,

The MiG-23S model flew with the Jaybird radar just like the MiG-21Bis, and either had no RWR or the SPO-10 (same as the MiG-21).

Though I hope if we ever get a MiG-23 it will have the Highlark radar instead, which supports new weapon systems like the AA-7 Apex.

EDIT: a late model MiG-23 would definitely require a LOT of work. Certainly more than 18 months of work.

Edited by Beamscanner

Would love to see one, preferably a MiG-23M or ML (maybe MLA). This would be a godsend for the RED team, finally getting something more advanced than the MiG-21bis to fight modern things in. And it would be an awesome module just for the systems: adjusting wing sweep in dogfights to get the best performance, radar, IRST, Russian navigation and weapon systems, and so on. It would be even more awesome than the MiG-21bis!

But guys, they said no. They outright said no. So why on Earth would anyone be speculating that THEY are making one!?!? I could see the case for someone else having plans or outright making one, just not the team that outright denied it. Nothing against them, they just stated the facts like they were.

But let's be happy with what we are going to get. Because with DCS one thing is certain, it'll be awesome!

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

A MiG-23MLD will be a real dream!

I would prefer an earlier variant, a MiG-23MLD would be a bit too far off the original aircraft. I'm torn between the MiG-23M and the MiG-23ML. The MiG-23MLD just seems like a bit of a stretch, a wannabe MiG-29 if you will.

The MiG-23M was the truly mass produced variant. It had the more capable "High-Lark" radar, the TP-23 IRST system, and R-23R/T missile. Which meant it could sneak and then "stealth fire", having an effective range little inside of 10km for that. And despite the initially somewhat lackluster performance in BFM, the variable geometry wings somewhat made up for it. So it really wasn't that bad, and it fits in nicely with the F-4, Mirage 3, and F-14A that we will be getting. The MiG-23ML was the MiG-23M, but better all around. In my opinion the later MiG-23MLD would just be adding too much new gizmos and tech that fit way better in a MiG-29 or Su-27 module.

The added bonus on doing an earlier variant is that it will take less time to simulate all the systems, there would simply be less of them. But hey, that's just my opinion.

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Who said they've worked on it for just 18 months ?

If it's a MiG-23, I hope it's not a pathetic useless MS version…

That would be the greatest troll ever! :D

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]