Persian Gulf Map Discussion

Slipp

perhaps they could - once the maps form some sort of contiguous area, let you could choose for each mission a centre point for your map, a set of x & y dimensions then have the engine trim the available space out for the mission map from the available terrain.

That is a fantastic idea. provided we had the amount of space available. Sure it would not be the perfect solution because of obvious limitations to time and resources of both the developers and those playing. Having some abilities to select an area within a large modeled area. modeling that area would be very difficult.

Edited by dudeman17

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E MB | Ryzen 9 5950x | ASUS Tuf RTX 4080 | 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 MHz DDR4 | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 | Gigabyte M27Q-P 1440p 165hz |

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see the exact location of the map. It's pretty much as promised and has a decent amount of land up north.

The Sea is just that, Sea.

But you are right, just wait for some official editor pics.

The only issue is EDGE maps tend to have land borders. Unless SoH has been said to be different and I missed this, it probably will too. However is there is a lot of water beyond the main map area, this will be an excellent Hornet/Tomcat map.

The natural barrier provided by the straight does help mitigate the effect of size though. It would be a really weird map if it was all land, which each side basically sitting on top of each other. The water provides a natural front line and a bit of a barrier that makes it a little safer to base aircraft close by.

I can't see they'll ever be able to let you load the whole world :-), but perhaps they could - once the maps form some sort of contiguous area, let you could choose for each mission a centre point for your map, a set of x & y dimensions then have the engine trim the available space out for the mission map from the available terrain.

I'm still all for pasting the current maps on a barren globe scattered with airports. I'd have no problems taking off from an airbase in a super low detail area and flying into the main map. Even if a player doesn't want to do that it would be useful for AI placement. I think it adds more value to the maps too, in that literally every inch of it because useable in mission making.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I'm still all for pasting the current maps on a barren globe scattered with airports.

Yeah, the 'islands of detail' idea would work for me too & can allow more realistic flight distances etc, but maybe constrains mission making more than a single large area...

Cheers.

I am looking forward to this map more than just about anything else that is upcoming. As a mission designer, I am wondering what sort of optimization and performance I'm going to find. With the existing maps, the choice of where to conduct a mission is influenced a decent bit by what type of performance clients get in each area.

The cities look extraordinarily detailed, and I wonder how that balances out against frame rate.

This map was a fantastic choice and appears to have it all, desert, cities, towns, sea, islands & mountainous terrain.

If someone on the team is willing to remark generally about how that balance was considered and plays out, that would be great.

/Fargo

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I am looking forward to this map more than just about anything else that is upcoming. (...) This map was a fantastic choice and appears to have it all, desert, cities, towns, sea, islands & mountainous terrain.

I fully agree, this map can facilitate so many different scenarios, really excited!

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

Just look through the replies, there's plenty of discussion on that.

But nothing official I think, at least not a map we can use to see what will be included.

I'm wondering, and hope SithSpawn will answer this. Will we get a speechpack for Farsi (Iran) and Arab for the other countries? We will get soon the Tomcat and the Phantom, the Fulcrum is already included for IRIAF, and the arab speaking countries included (and in the region) can get a proper speechpack too.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Too much false information from people that do not have an official answer.

Google "Under Siege 2 Assumption is the mother of all"

I mean this:

The DCS maps have a detailed portion, for SOH is 550x500, and a basic not detailed space. Terrain outside the detailed space is not useful because the low res and ugly looking BUT for SOH there is one thing different. THE SEA.

The sea has the same detail and aspect everywhere and because this map can be a Carrier Operations map you can place a fleet anywhere on the map. I dont care if is outside the detailed square, Is only sea.

This is de SOH editors map. You can se the Arabic Sea on the East. Place the 5th Fleet over there at some point.

MhKe9j9.jpg

No Sir, that is the editor map from TBS :doh:

Please do not Assume Items Posted on TBS are Items coming to DCS:W

The editors map is not enough?

Not enough until Wags or anyone from the devs reveals where the outer "borders" of the map we are getting actually are.

Old screenshot from editor in TBS - a separate product, is irrelevant for us, and any wishful thinking originating from it is still condtradictory to Wags' post a couple of pages ago (which in itself was far from "transparent" it seems).

You are 100% correct Art-J :thumbup:

The question. With the DCS Mission Editor and the SOH Map, may e.g., Carrier Group, Aircraft, AWACS, etc., be placed to the east of the map shown by Wags In this post ?

If so, how far to the east will the DCS Mission Editor and F-10 ingame map allow these placements / viewing within the SOH map?

If so, will environmental effects be applied to the sea and objects e.g., waves,wind,rain, carrier deck pitching,etc?

Everything else is hearsay until an official response.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock
  • Like 1

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

You have your answer in the link you posted.

Read again what Wags said.

No Sir, the answer is unclear. Says nothing about features available outside the map shown for mission building / playable.

To avoid any confusion and be as transparent as possible, this image shows most of the map.

The general operations area for the carrier groups would be in the Arabian Sea.

What is "most"? How much more?

"General Operations" Does this mean in DCS? Does this mean typical real life operations? The statement is too open ended.

Here is an example.

In the DCS Mission Editor, you can place objects very far east in NTTR

3GE0Ssh.jpg

But, while in the mission, F10 view is not nearly as large. You can not see the area the objects are placed during the mission.

vA2coRN.jpg

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Where is the complete map from ED Personnel?

This is not the complete map :music_whistling:

Ok then, where is the "complete" map image posted with what is available in the F-10 Map view during game play from an official person?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

If that's a screen grab from TBS, why does it say DCS in the ME? Genuinely asking.

TBS and DCS World Use the Same Core Engine

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If that's a screen grab from TBS, why does it say DCS in the ME? Genuinely asking.

Same reason, why it says Volkswagen on some of the parts inside your Porsche Cayenne... ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

thanks for news of this map.

i want to mention some corrections:

Lar is international airport and isn't airforce base.

also Tonb island is not airforce base and is a typical airport.

there is international airport in kish island.

but bandar abbas airport have both civil airport and airforce base.

Absolutely. The difference is that my Porsche Cayenne doesn't say "Volkswagen" on the bonnet. ;)
TBS doesn't either... And like your Cayenne everybody knows it is basically a pricey VW Touareg, with nicer interior and a more powerful engine... With a lot of VW parts in it.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• ED Team
Forgive me, but the ME screenshot in post 266 above clearly shows a DCS logo, yes? And people are saying the screenshot is from TBS, yes? Either the people saying it's from TBS are mistaken, or the screenshot is misleading. It seems pretty simple to me...?

Porsche doesnt add VW badging to its cars, regardless of parts commonality. Porsche is to TBS as VW is to DCS. The rest of the VW/Porsche analogy really has nothing to do with anything.

Guys, enough already... TBS and DCS are built off each other, its all mutually beneficial. How the product looks that goes out to TBS customers is probably up to them, and in many cases it might be the only thing they can show publicly. They would also use DCS World items to promote TBS as well, what we get is very high quality simulations, so one helps the other.

Please get back on topic, the SoH map for DCS World.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png