AIM-7F/P/M

Chizh

• ED Team

Wanted good images of AIM-7F/M/P missile family.

We need find visual differences in the shape and skin of those missiles.

Edited by Wags
  • Like 1

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

Wanted good images of AIM-7F/M/P/H missile family.

We need find visual differences in the shape and skin of those missiles.

Do you mean MH build? There's no 'H' version by itself AFAIK, but there are a couple of AIM-7M sub-builds, one of them called the 'MH' and AFAIK is the 'standard 7M' at some point in time. I suspect this 'H-build' is just a software load for the 7M, but I could be wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Do you mean MH build? There's no 'H' version by itself AFAIK, but there are a couple of AIM-7M sub-builds, one of them called the 'MH' and AFAIK is the 'standard 7M' at some point in time. I suspect this 'H-build' is just a software load for the 7M, but I could be wrong.

https://nationalstocknumber.info/part-number/AIM-7MH-BUILD_013060435

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team

Yes, MH of course.

There was be MH as update M only or there was completely new MH missiles from the factory?

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

• ED Team

Chizh,

Here's an F and some M's.

AIM-7M.jpg

Jim Rotramel also have P/M variant drawing in his album

Many thanks guys!

Is there any more drawings AIM-7 in that album?

• ED Team
http://s42.photobucket.com/user/mrvark111/library/Weapon%20Drawings?sort=3&page=1

Yes, AIM7E and pavetack pod, bombs, lunch rail etc.

Thanks!

AIM_7M7.jpg

weapon_443.jpg

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Thanks guys!

Do i understand correctly that the body of the AIM-7P missile is the same as that of AIM-7M?

Yes, the upgrade is all in the electronics. There are also 7MH -> 7P Block I upgrade kits, but IIRC block II 7P are all new from factory and have more features .. but same body/aerodynamics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team

Thanks!

If you are interested in simulating the difference between 7M/P(II) correctly, then it is important to simulate the seeker's ability to lock onto a target of certain RCS at a certain range.

The major difference between 7F/MH/P(I) and P(II) is the the latter is not limited by the target's signature thanks to the datalink (Like R-27R).

The previous models require shooting from a range at which the seeker can lock-on within a few seconds after it leaves the aircraft. While this range can be quite significant for fighters and bombers, it isn't so good against low-RCS targets like cruise missiles etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
If you are interested in simulating the difference between 7M/P(II) correctly, then it is important to simulate the seeker's ability to lock onto a target of certain RCS at a certain range.

The major difference between 7F/MH/P(I) and P(II) is the the latter is not limited by the target's signature thanks to the datalink (Like R-27R).

The previous models require shooting from a range at which the seeker can lock-on within a few seconds after it leaves the aircraft. While this range can be quite significant for fighters and bombers, it isn't so good against low-RCS targets like cruise missiles etc.

Yes, we intend to simulate of the lock range of missile seeker.

What is this range for 7M and 7P?

30nm CW (older aircraft using 500W CW illumination, so would apply to F-4/F-14 and first versions of F-15 radar), 38NM PD (eg. F-14/15/18, 1.7KW illumination which is probably less for the F-18), vs 5m^2 target - this is for F and it's probably a little better for MH/P due to improved antenna and electronics. But I suspect not much better :)

F-14 has both CW/PD modes, F-15 used to (N/A the FC3 one). All AIM-7 from F and up can use PD, F can also use CW and previous (D/E1/2/3) use CW but the ranges are lower for these older missiles.

There are 'small' and 'large' target settings also, which affect both the DSR cue (in the eagle, I suspect other aircraft will have it as well) and the fuze settings. I don't knot their parameters though.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 10 months later...
  • ED Team

Do AIM-7 sort of adaptive proportional navigation or changing params of navigation in the flight?

Maybe late models M/H?

Chizh,

AIM-7E2 was changing parameters by manual setting (set directly on the missile by ground crew) - this was dogfight vs BVR configuration.

Possibly late 7E did this electronically. 7F DOES this electronically (I have the docs) and so does M.

To answer your question without you having to read the rest of this, maneuver restriction is stated to be accomplished by reducing the PN constant. In some cases (such as loft) there are additional restrictions to prevent the missile from maneuvering much while it is gaining altitude and speed.

MH build adds loft, P build (block I) adds more robust electronics and ECCM and some features from AMRAAM (I am guessing here, but I suspect waypoint navigation). Block II adds data-link and probably a more robust LOAL mode + ECCM like AMRAAM.

I can probably get you the 7F info, you will find that even 7F had complex system regarding maneuver, fuze and seeker settings depending on the following:

STT or FLOOD mode

Range to target at launch

Range from missile to target

The basic idea, from memory (I don't have the docs in front of me right now)

Common things:

• Missile will be blind for first couple of seconds due to ownship radar.
  • Missile will be given an English bias command (steering towards target) so that it can maneuver towards the target while blind. This is also used to inform the seeker where to look for a target. (In other words, in all cases AIM-7 lock-on is AFTER launch.)
  • If the event of launch in FLOOD mode, it probably received an english bias command based on the launching aircraft's acceleration vector

Dogfight mode:

• Full maneuver capability at launch
  • Maneuver capability is activated very early after launch (Reduction of safety distance)
  • Aggressive english bias correction towards target right after launch
  • fuze activated very soon after launch

BVR mode:

• Safety distance is increased
  • Maneuver is restricted until the distance to target is <4.5nm, then full PN (or gradual increase of PN ... the document does not specify).
  • Fuze is activated when distance to target < 1nm

If launched in STT:

• Doppler gate is set to 'narrow' and doppler data is fed to missile - this data is used for the seeker to search for the target and lock onto it after launch
  • Target <5nm at launch = Dogfight mode
  • Target > 5nm at launch = BVR mode

If launched in FLOOD:

• Doppler gate is set to 'wide', making it more susceptible to chaff/ECM
  • Missile is in dogfight mode

If target is lost in flight:

• Seeker will search again, starting with narrow doppler gate, then wide doppler gate if it does not find a target

There are also algorithms to counter notching and split-S, but I don't remember how they work.

Do AIM-7 sort of adaptive proportional navigation or changing params of navigation in the flight?

Maybe late models M/H?

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Tanks GG! Very interesting.

What document describes next fact below?

BVR mode:

Safety distance is increased

Maneuver is restricted until the distance to target is <4.5nm, then full PN (or gradual increase of PN ... the document does not specify).

Fuze is activated when distance to target < 1nm