No 'Receive Mode' in Mig-21?

Lixma 06

Indeed, I'm quite sure there are no plans for that. The receive mode switch on the FC3 aircraft is a bit of a workaround for them not having properly operable radios and thus you'd have to hear every single radio transmission on the whole map.

Either switch the channel, as QuiGon suggested, or switch off the radio entirely when you need some peace and quiet.

And yes, I realise that on an AWACS or GCI frequency, especially online, there is a lot of chatter and it can actually get a little strenuous to just figure out which information is meant for you, but that's what good old radio is like.

Ahhh....I didn't realise it was an FC3-only thing.

Makes sense, thanks chaps.

So the decision is - do I turn off the radio or accidentally shoot down my AWACS?

I would recommend to just turn off the radio or switch channel. Shooting down friendlies is a bad option, especially in MP where you can get banned for that.

Or even better: Keep it on, listen to the calls and get some easy kills in the process ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Shouldn't there be a specific channels for specific flights, so AWACS/GCI is not continually flooding everyones channels, or sending guidance codes to everyone etc?

Then the AWACS/GCI should be the one that does the broadcast to everyone when the situation requires such thing... At least that is how real communication radios work. You can build a specific broadcast channels to be used when needed so you don't need to adjust all specifically for each frequency and channel.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Shouldn't there be a specific channels for specific flights, so AWACS/GCI is not continually flooding everyones channels, or sending guidance codes to everyone etc?

I would love to learn about that part of Warsaw Pact's doctrine. But I'm afraid that DCS would never implement it correctly…

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Well, you could design your mission to feature that to some extent by having multiple EWR units operating on different radio frequencies and briefing your flights to only contact 'their' radar, I guess.

They might still spam broadcasts to other flights, though, sometimes, and quite frankly a more pressing issue, especially for the MiG-21 would be for the GCI AI to improve in general. Quite often they don't give you any information at all on a target they must be seeing clear as day in your vicinity because they are too busy reading out updates on something barely popping over the hills on the other side of the country. But I appreciate that this is just not easy to program.

But I appreciate that this is just not easy to program.

Not really. They just have to update the last message only to the message queue of 2 items max, instead of expanding it by appending and force to announce every obsolete message of the queue to the end.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Well, true, that would reduce the spam. But I meant there is also a trickier problem about the GCI contact priorities.

They love to be all: «Oh my! There's an enemy group! Bearing 290, 180km at 500m!» and that sort of lets them slip on the «Oh, and by the way, there's a Phantom coming at you from 180, less than 10km away, you might want to check that out at some time.»

the problem is really with the FC3 planes not having selectable radio channels, or even FM/AM radios, so you really just need to set a key to only show messages relating to you, i think you can even in the mig-21 (not sure)

and contact prioritys... don't press request picture, press request bogey dope and it'll show the nearest contact, unless it's hiding behind a hill and gci/awacs can't see it, then it'll say popup 180 5km or whatever as soon as it's in lign of sight with the radar...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

The problem at least with me is that i like getting talked onto my target by AWACS, so im frequently asking for updates. So switching the channel constantly isnt the best option for me. Trying to wait for everyone else asking for a bogey dope costs many critical seconds. Besides, sometimes i feel bad about hogging up the radio wabes so much :)

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now