Realistic repairs option for future versions?

TulsA-10

I'm one of those extreme reality nuts so i think it would really cool if DCS could add a realistic repairs option that would simulate real repair times if you take battle damage and say need an engie swap or airframe repairs or whatever even if it means waiting days if you take to much battle damage. Plus a full indepth log book that records everything.

Then the airframe or other componenets replaced would look as if they didn't originally belong on that aircraft. Wear and tear would be cool and would add so much more to the reality of not getting dead. The random failures option is the first step. I know waiting days could not be fun for some but like i said im ok with it.

Edited by TulsA-10

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Realistic repair times...

Well lets see even a simple tire change (MLG tires, nose tires are quick) takes about an hour (that's including taking care of documentation because you can't even get a new tire until the job is loaded into IMDS), an engine change although according to the TO can be accomplished in 8 hours (that's remove, install, and operational checks/rigging) takes more like 12 to 16. Some other failures take days and some take weeks. Something as simple as finding a nose gear door hinge's hole has been rounded out, because of parts issues, could be down for a week or more (we actually found this issue Saturday, the part is going to be manufactured at depot, it will take at least a week probably more for the part to even get here).

Although I am all for realism and am a perfectionist concerning the systems operating like they do RW this is one option I don't want.

Yikes! A fuel leak after the aircraft has been shot up takes about a week or more to fix, depending on the location of the leak.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I'm glad to see you swing by paulrkiii you have lot of knowledge and I use your 2.2 checklist. Being down weeks would be rough. At least visual repairs would be nice. I guess it's the same old question, how real do you wanna get.

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

While some aspects might be appealing. People would soon get fed up of having to fly missions with some systems on the aircraft being unserviceable from the start, which tends to happen quite often irl.

As Snoopy said above, this is one aspect of reality I'm glad isn't modelled.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Fast easy repairs can breed bad habits. I didn't think about people getting tired of waiting.

This might be a dumb question... but...

Does each A10 have only one pilot who flies it? Is it sort of like, this is YOUR plane? Or do multiple pilots fly the same plane? If a particular plane is down for a few weeks, does that pilot just not fly? Or does he get a "loaner"?

Is this generally true for military aircraft? That they are "assigned" to one individual?

I only ask because it seems more efficient use of resources to have multiple pilots fly the same plane to combat fatigue. For example, if the plane is needed for day missions, then night missions, then again in the morning... would make sense to rotate pilots in/out of the same plane. The way, I assume, it works in commercial airliners.

Yikes! A fuel leak after the aircraft has been shot up takes about a week or more to fix, depending on the location of the leak.

At least...you've to to repair the skin, whatever was damaged in the fuel tank, cure for any sealant used, leak check, ops check....you would have to ops check all hydraulic and flight control components that run through that area to make sure they weren't damanged....and on and on :D

At least...you've to to repair the skin, whatever was damaged in the fuel tank, cure for any sealant used, leak check, ops check....you would have to ops check all hydraulic and flight control components that run through that area to make sure they weren't damanged....and on and on :D

Nightmare :fear:

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

This might be a dumb question... but...

Does each A10 have only one pilot who flies it? Is it sort of like, this is YOUR plane? Or do multiple pilots fly the same plane? If a particular plane is down for a few weeks, does that pilot just not fly? Or does he get a "loaner"?

Is this generally true for military aircraft? That they are "assigned" to one individual?

I only ask because it seems more efficient use of resources to have multiple pilots fly the same plane to combat fatigue. For example, if the plane is needed for day missions, then night missions, then again in the morning... would make sense to rotate pilots in/out of the same plane. The way, I assume, it works in commercial airliners.

Pilots fly whatever aircraft they are told to. They may have their name on the side of one jet on the squadron in some cases, but they will rarely end up flying that aircraft.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Pilots fly whatever aircraft they are told to. They may have their name on the side of one jet on the squadron in some cases, but they will rarely end up flying that aircraft.

That is EXACTLY the case... I worked maintenance for 17 years... 2 years F-111's, 9 on F-4 E & G (Wild Weasel's), and the rest on F-16's... SELDOM did the pilot's fly the bird with their name on it... with one exception... the Squadron C/O... He usually had his own bird.... but when he wasn't flying it, somebody was. :yes::thumbup:

intel i7 960, Liquid cooled case, Vista 64bit, 8MB RAM, nVidia GTS250 XLR8 Extreme Performance 1MB, TM COUGAR HOTAS

That is EXACTLY the case... I worked maintenance for 17 years... 2 years F-111's, 9 on F-4 E & G (Wild Weasel's), and the rest on F-16's... SELDOM did the pilot's fly the bird with their name on it... with one exception... the Squadron C/O... He usually had his own bird.... but when he wasn't flying it, somebody was. :yes::thumbup:

I thought in the US pilots did have their own planes, so whats the point of putting your name on something thats not "yours"? I suspect pilots did have their own during WW2 and the tradition remained.

I'll also point out that all names, to include the DCC/ACC, are removed from aircraft when in combat zones anyway, as a result of the F-117A that got shot down over Bosnia where the media talked about the pilot as if he were dead, putting huge stress on the family.

And the guy who was flying that plane wasn't even the one whose name was on the side :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

God, realistic repair times, you guys imagine that? Someone call Super, we really need to MICAP this thing!

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

This is something that i can only imagine to make sense in a dynamic campaign that includes resource management. I don't see any gain at this point.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

God, realistic repair times, you guys imagine that? Someone call Super, we really need to MICAP this thing!

With realistic avionics guys redballing your stupid problems that are mostly your fault anyway, and angrily swapping out an LRU because you're too whiny to just take it :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IRL you would abandon your jet on the ramp, hand it over to the groundcrew. You would then head to the intelligence officer for a debrief and then either to the crewroom for rations or the Bosses office for a bollocking.

You might then replan for another flight. Having said that I have returned a U/S jet and signed out another, legged it over to the aircraft and strapped in. Prob took me about ... 3 mins . whoa ...spooky.

Edited by Druid_
sp

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

What I think would be rather interesting is if it was possible to track the visual impacts of damage and repairs.

Basically when things are damaged and repair or rebuilt, they never look quite the same as they did before, and if you could track this, and display the deltas, over time and use every players' plane's personal appearance would diverge, hopefully enough to disrupt the clone factor.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll also point out that all names, to include the DCC/ACC, are removed from aircraft when in combat zones anyway, as a result of the F-117A that got shot down over Bosnia where the media talked about the pilot as if he were dead, putting huge stress on the family.

And the guy who was flying that plane wasn't even the one whose name was on the side :)

VERY true... I forgot they do that now.

Welcome to the world of instant news... :huh:

intel i7 960, Liquid cooled case, Vista 64bit, 8MB RAM, nVidia GTS250 XLR8 Extreme Performance 1MB, TM COUGAR HOTAS

It would be great if a dialog or new window popped up showing you the damage sustained. You could then choose what should be fixed with an associated time next to it. This way if you have only a flat tire, instead of a totally busted plane, it would be shorter in time (I know, not real world) and gets you more involved instead of just shutting off the engine. It could add the mechanics side to the sim where you learn more about the systems involved, persay.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

This is something that i can only imagine to make sense in a dynamic campaign that includes resource management. I don't see any gain at this point.

My thought exactly.

One of the things that IL-2's DC did right (for all it's other crappiness) was that it actually had some resource management elements (though you didn't get to lord over them). Losing wingment in one mission could mean you had less of them available the next time simply because there weren't planes enough to fly more. This was a bit shoddily implemented from a gameplay perspective though - if you select an "interesting" plane that isn't well known, odds were it wasn't in great supply. This meant that even though "my" squadron on the Finland campaign has rediculously good results, it eventually became unplayable because we'd get sent out as two-ship against 8+ fighters with a mission to kill their 8+ bomber buddies, with the DC not compensating through inserting AI from other squadrons.

Of course, it is possible to approximate all of this today in an online campaign that is well organized, but it would require a lot of manual work. But for SP and in campaign, we'd need a fully fledged DC before we can even think about this as strictly useful. (It could still be implemented into campaigns through giving munition stocks and replenishment levels in a campaign file and restricting mission planner accordingly, but this only covers munitions, not repairs and airframes which are more deeply rooted into the architecture.)

I wouldn't mind it as part of a DC - in fact if the DC is well made I'd absolutely love it. But I doubt whether the rewards are worth the expense in both money and time required to make it happen. :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I'd love to see a visual repair(and maybe rearm as well) in the future version.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal