Inversion Failure Restart Procedure?

sledgeweb

If I'm flying inverted for a sustained period, the engines go out and everything shuts down. I'm trying to figure out how to do that, and then recover (for practice). The manual list procedures for single engine restart, but what do I do in this situation, when both engines, and everything else, is out?

I tried turning on APU Start and APU Gen. Then I set the engine modes to motor for 30 seconds. Then I tried flipping those back to normal, and using ALT+HOME to start the right engine as if I were on the ground. Doesn't seem to be working.

So, I took my two practice opportunities to try a field ditch instead... first time, with no gear.... didn't turn out so well. On the second attempt, I put my gear down... I blacked out during the landing, which was awesome - I didn't know what was going on - but I survived. Wasn't much left of my ride though. One wing was gone completely, the other about half gone, and on fire (and the tail was completely gone)!

One thing that would be awesome would be if the parts of your plane didn't just disappear after breaking off... but were strewn upon the ground in flaming wreckage.

From what you asked, it looks like you tried to motor both engines at the same time, don't. The APU doesn't appear (at least in the sim) to be able to motor both engines at the same time. Just motor the engine you want to start first, but remember it isn't even necessary unless the ITT (temp gauge) is below ~150. This is just for your specific situation though, the engines have been drained of fuel from being inverted, so the only other thing to motor for is to cool it.

So in your situation:

1. Set both throttles to OFF.

2. APU and APU Gen to ON.

3. Make sure you wait for the APU RPM to get to at least %60 before proceeding, otherwise the ignition signal may be interrupted.

4. Motor your left engine until ITT is less than 150.

5. Set your left engine to IDLE (I think its alt-home), switch engine operation to norm(turn off motor). That will begin the automatic start sequence.

6. After the left engine is up, motor the right.

7. Right engine will probably be cool by now, if so set the right throttle to IDLE and engine operate to norm.

From what you asked, it looks like you tried to motor both engines at the same time, don't. The APU doesn't appear (at least in the sim) to be able to motor both engines at the same time. Just motor the engine you want to start first, but remember it isn't even necessary unless the ITT (temp gauge) is below ~150. This is just for your specific situation though, the engines have been drained of fuel from being inverted, so the only other thing to motor for is to cool it.

So in your situation:

3. Make sure you wait for the APU RPM to get to at least %60 before proceeding, otherwise the ignition signal may be interrupted.

5. Set your left engine to IDLE (I think its alt-home), switch engine operation to norm(turn off motor). That will begin the automatic start sequence.

7. Right engine will probably be cool by now, if so set the right throttle to IDLE and engine operate to norm.

So, what am I doing wrong? Track attached.

SW-EngineRecover.trk

Sorry about the late reply.

A couple things I noticed:

Once you shut the engines down, powered up the APU and APU GEN and motored the left engine, you moved the left engine to idol and the the right engine to idol shortly after. You can only start one at a time (unless you are doing a windmill restart). The biggest thing I noticed is that you were in a rush, I know it's a little concerning that you have two engines not producing thrust, but you need to slow down and follow the steps. I believe you actually had the left engine started toward the end and ended up killing it by moving the throttle forward too soon. I let your track run again right up until the engines failed, then I took over and restarted both engines. I'll post the track in a bit so you can watch how I did it. Just keep in mind that I have a second monitor and a TM WH, so it doesn't really even look like I look at the gauges or switches much, so you probably should hit F2 and then back to F1 so you can pan around the cockpit and see what I'm doing.

If you need, we could get on ts\vent\steam and I could walk you through it in game, just PM me.

Track added. One thing to note, tracks don't always play back correctly when I record them on my machine. So If I appear to say, not even try to start engines and fly into the side of a mountain... that's probably why. I did watch it and it replayed fine on my machine though. Hope it helps.

inversion recover.trk

Edited by incomp
track:

If you have altitude, just bring throttle to idle. Let me see you track and i will load one on a sec.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

So in your situation:

The APU can't motor both engines at the same time real world either...

Just snap throttle to idle, if not engine will get damaged. As soon as I see fuel flow drop, and master warning come on I try to snap throttles to idle. Alternatively, you can stop flying in negative g for long periods of time. :thumbup::joystick:

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Just snap throttle to idle, if not engine will get damaged. As soon as I see fuel flow drop, and master warning come on I try to snap throttles to idle. Alternatively, you can stop flying in negative g for long periods of time. :thumbup::joystick:

I assume that he was inducing the failure to practice an in flight restart, judging from his track I believe that to be the case.

It is fool proof way of getting the engines to die mid flight, but so is pulling both T-handles. Either way, I do this stuff for practice as well. I'm sure it wouldn't be looked so kindly upon in real life, but that's what sims are for. :smilewink:

I assume that he was inducing the failure to practice an in flight restart, judging from his track I believe that to be the case.

It is fool proof way of getting the engines to die mid flight, but so is pulling both T-handles. Either way, I do this stuff for practice as well. I'm sure it wouldn't be looked so kindly upon in real life, but that's what sims are for. :smilewink:

:D:thumbup: I'm aware of the reasons he was flying inverted, I'm trying to provide solutions for engine shutting down in air. :joystick:

To whom it may concern,

:D:thumbup: I'm aware of the reasons he was flying inverted, I'm trying to provide solutions for engine shutting down in air. :joystick:

Gotcha. Then I'm with you on your earlier statement... If you actually have to recover from this situation, the question is why the hell would you fly inverted for so long (not that I think the OP was doing it on accident)?

Awesome! I got one engine to restart and was able to fly. I couldn't get the second engine on, but I'll keep messing with it.

Interestingly, after that success, I was doing a campaign mission where I was shot in the left wing. Both engines shut down (but my electronics stayed up). The wing didn't catch fire, but there was a big hole in it, and a couple smaller holes. Thin trails of black smoke were coming from those smaller holes. Anyway, I tried the same restart procedure there, but didn't get it to come on. Not sure if I just need to practice more, or if the procedure is different under those circumstances? I was at 12k feet at the time.

I tried both engine re-starts from as low as 3,000ft and I'm ace at it now....but do know what? It doesn't help at all when you have "no wings!!!!!!":megalol::megalol::pilotfly:

The four things a Wingman is allowed to say...

1. Two
  2. Lead, you're on fire.
  3. I'm bingo fuel.
  4. I'll take the fat one....:(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]