[CORRECT AS IS] Braking effectiveness

yogipol

Does anyone have performance diagrams for normal configuration landing distance required to stop the Hornet after landing? I do believe real F-18 is able to brake to a full stop much faster than the one we currently have in DCS. One and a half thousand meters is sometimes not enough to stop the "bird" before the end of the runway (landing made in touchdown zone).

I would be very grateful for letting me know the place from which I will be able to download the above data.

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

Part of the NATOPS also states that you should pull aft on the stick to deflect the stabilators to provide additional surface area drag. Also don't forget, don't go idle until all wheels are on the ground, else the WOW switch won't engage at the right time and you'll be stuck in flight idle instead of ground idle.

My procedure is this:

- Full speedbrake at the runway threshold

- Full touchdown

- Throttle idle (small pump to ensure WOW switch engaged for ground idle)

- Apply very light braking

- Around 100kts pull aft on the stick to introduce stabilator drag (should show roughly 24° on FCS)

- Slowly begin to apply increasing brake pressure and control ground speed until the end of the runway or earlier hot-brake taxiway if available.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I used to be able to land at Boulder. It was close and you had to be light but it was doable. After last patch I ran off the runway both times. Something changed.

i7-8700K (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.6GHz) 32 GB DDR4 XMP @ 2933MHz, GTX 1080Ti w/ 11GB GDDR5X, Windows 10 Pro, 256GB SSD, TM Warthog Stick & Throttle, TM TPR Pedals, TrackIR5

Yep, I feel the same. Wheel brakes are very ineffective atm.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I noticed the same in the day of release and absent any change, the Above advice from Tholozor is key. In addition 2 further things that will help:

A) check winds

B) have airbrake out by late final (needs to be held by switch ideally, or it retracts if flaps out).

--

(If stopping distance is critical!)

1) turn anti-skid off. (ABS is too sensitive)

2) bind "pull parking/emergency brake handle" to hotas

(Mod-bind if no free hotas switch - I use pinkylever on my stick as "modifier" so I can quickly access less common functions without letting go)

3) dump excessive stores/fuel

4) if conditions allow (stable air etc) push AoA to the max you feel comfortable with.

Btw I don't care about the rules, manual says don't do this, real life pilot says that etc.. DCS is what it is, and I try get the best possible out of it without crashing etc, and even in real life, if the only way the pulpit could save his plane was to break the rules, guess what!

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

I try to keep my final approach airspeed between 135-145 knots while constantly adjusting throttle input all the way to wheels down. Then I go idle, deploy the airbrake, and roll out till I'm under ~80 knots. At 80 or under I apply the wheel brakes. I seem to stop all of the time before running out of runway.

Rig: i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133 | 1070 8GB | 27" QHD GSYNC | 2x SSDs | W10

Setup: DCS 2.5 OB | M2000C | F/A-18C | F-86 | F-5E T.16000M HOTAS

Yep, I feel the same. Wheel brakes are very ineffective atm.

Indeed... Same observations here. Wheel brakes seem very ineffective, even with full flaps, Stabilisator drag, full airbrake, AOA donut, 135 Knots.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 4 months later...

Since last update stable version better, but still not enough?

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

I have been experiencing braking problems for a long time, I was joking with my friends on our flights that we need to install 4 brake lines, like on an aircraft carrier?

Indeed... And in contrast to this, on the A-10C the brakes are far too

harsch / effective, even reducing drastically the strenght / curves is to no avail....

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Everyone,

did you checked also your landing weight? like in the carrier you have landing weight limit. I say this because the first time i landed with too much fuel i only stopped at runway end. After that i dump fuel (if needed) for the brakes be fully effective.

As stated in NATOPS page I-4-8:

Carrier trap: 33000Lbs

Airfield (flared): 39000Lbs

So, please take that in consideration too.

Take care and happy landings,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Pumping the throttle after touchdown to make sure the engine spools back to ground idle makes a good a bit of difference to my stopping distance I’ve found.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Flaps increase drag and should help you slow down.

No they increase lift, with flaps up the wings create more downforce, putting more pressure on the tires thus making the braking more effective.

It’s actually required in some jets in the game like the F-86F and F-5E that you bring the flaps back up before getting on the brakes

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

No they increase lift, with flaps up the wings create more downforce, putting more pressure on the tires thus making the braking more effective.

It’s actually required in some jets in the game like the F-86F and F-5E that you bring the flaps back up before getting on the brakes

That depends a lot on the plane and it's e.g. not required, (not even recommended) on the F-5 when trying to achieve the minimum landing run. It's just a note that braking is more effective with the flaps up.

In the F-86 manual I didn't read anything about raising the flaps either. Neither on the F nor the K. Interestingly the F-86 manual mentions that opening the canopy will increase drag and help shorten the landing distance.

In general you are trying to avoid any distraction during the landing run, and fiddling head down with levers and knobs after touchdown is usually to be avoided as much as possible.

Quite a few flights ended with the plane sitting on the runway with the gear up instead of the flaps up with this technique ;)

Back to the F/A-18:

With the very large boards hanging down I doubt that retracting the flaps would put more weight on wheels than they create drag.

Furthermore this isn't mentioned in the -1 when shooting for a minimum landing run.

According to the -1 the landing roll should be ~2600ft at 30000lbs.

With antiskid I need 4000ft and without antiskid (and the associated directional control problems) even a bit less!

Antiskid braking is apparently way too weak.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Also pay attention to your weight. Non flared landings have a weight limit similar to landing on the carrier. If you are overweight, don't flare, and don't use aft stick deflection you may very well run out of runway before you stop.

Whether right or wrong (don’t care), I touch down on or before white lines at ~125, apply brake, usually tapping right/left or both to stay straight, then full if needed, to taxi speed at less than or close to half way down runway. Facilitates early turnout to taxi to parking area and clearing of runway rather quickly.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

'correct as is' in the wish list means that the anti skid is apparently not simulated, but we can hope that ED will implement it?

Don't quite understand why this is in the wish list and not in the bug section.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Whether right or wrong I touch down on white lines at ~125 apply brake and stop less than or close to half way down runway.

How long is the runway? Just curious...You mean, landing on first striped white runway lines? Is the approach speed of 125 knots the speed for 39000 pounds? I'm sure 39k pounds is structural limit not field limit to perform safe landing in your case.

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

How long is the runway? Just curious...You mean, landing on first striped white runway lines? Is the approach speed of 125 knots the speed for 39000 pounds? I'm sure 39k pounds is structural limit not field limit to perform safe landing in your case.

Length of Runways comparable to Anapa. I don’t usually land fast jets on short runways unless it is an emergency.

But can stop on them too. Of course 1st striped white lines or before.

Various weights. But after a mission, I am usually light and free of ordinance. Why land at 39,000 lbs. Very rare I land with ordinance or more than 3k pounds of fuel but it happens with same result (I will dump fuel if I have too).

yeah wind, ensure you are on the right approach into, not with the wind.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10