Best way to measure if my CPU is a bad bottleneck

ElCuco68

...now that I've got a watercooled 1080Ti? I'm currently using an AMD FX-8350, and while I know that this is a mismatch, and I definitely need to upgrade (to the i7 8700k), I'm wondering if the 8700k would make a drastic, very noticable difference, or not enough of one to justify not waiting a few months to a year to upgrade (CPU and MB)? I'm using an Oculus Rift.

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MB

Intel i7-8700K 5.2 GHz delidded & lapped

Corsair H100i CPU watercooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2 80+ Platinum PSU

EVGA FTW3 watercooled GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Two Toshiba XG5 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD's

Various SSDs and HDDs, 24 terabytes

6 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans in push/pull on CPU and GPU radiators.

Windows 10 Pro 64, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog throttle and flight stick.

One approach you could do is to use GPU-Z to see to what extent your GPU is being used. If it is in the 90% or more area then it is most likely that the GPU is the bottleneck. If it is has plenty of overhead then the CPU is your bottleneck. Thing to keep in mind is that there will always be a bottleneck. So it is possible to upgrade your CPU and still have it as the bottleneck depending upon the GPU and settings you use. Although I would venture a guess that your current CPU is limiting you more than perhaps you might like. Of course this is a personal preference

I'm still getting what I can only imagine is a low framerate at times; a barely-perceptible momentary freeze when I'm looking out the cockpit at the ground. I'll try the GPU-Z. What's the best way to display fps in VR view?

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

I'm still getting what I can only imagine is a low framerate at times; a barely-perceptible momentary freeze when I'm looking out the cockpit at the ground. I'll try the GPU-Z. What's the best way to display fps in VR view?

I would use the DCS fps counter (Lctrl + pause).

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Another thing worth looking at is if DCS is actually using more than one core. I notice on my system that it sometimes just chooses to use one core which will cause pauses/stutters. Basically, every time I start up using DCS I use task manager to ensure that all cores are available for use with DCS

Another thing worth looking at is if DCS is actually using more than one core. I notice on my system that it sometimes just chooses to use one core which will cause pauses/stutters. Basically, every time I start up using DCS I use task manager to ensure that all cores are available for use with DCS
And if it is just using one core, what's the remedy?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Click on "Use all cores" under CPU affinity in task manager.

It is unpredictable on my system. Sometimes it loads up with just one core checked and sometimes it loads up with all. I will say that I have spent more than an hour or two fiddling with settings trying to get a smooth VR experience only to find out that DCS had somehow been limited to a single core. I check the "check all" box and it is much smoother experience.

So now I just make it a habit to check this after it has loaded up. On the odd chance that I forget to and I encounter stuttering issues it is almost always related to the number of cores

6850K @ 4.2 GHz and 1080 GTX

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Click on "Use all cores" under CPU affinity in task manager.

It is unpredictable on my system. Sometimes it loads up with just one core checked and sometimes it loads up with all. I will say that I have spent more than an hour or two fiddling with settings trying to get a smooth VR experience only to find out that DCS had somehow been limited to a single core. I check the "check all" box and it is much smoother experience.

So now I just make it a habit to check this after it has loaded up. On the odd chance that I forget to and I encounter stuttering issues it is almost always related to the number of cores

6850K @ 4.2 GHz and 1080 GTX

Thanks, I will start doing this regularly. I have a feeling that I sometimes suffer from this issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Have you overclocked your CPU? I used to run my 8350 at 5.1Ghz but it was geothermally cooled. An AIO water cooler would be a good investment because you can use it on whatever replaces your 8350 in the future. DCS likes higher clock speeds.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Have you overclocked your CPU? I used to run my 8350 at 5.1Ghz but it was geothermally cooled. An AIO water cooler would be a good investment because you can use it on whatever replaces your 8350 in the future. DCS likes higher clock speeds.

I've got a Corsair H100i (?) Water cooler on it. What's the best way to go about overclocking that CPU? I'm pretty sure the Asus MB I have it on has some kind of simplified overclocking scheme on it.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM