Mission 8 Radio Hunting

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem here ! Really great, I've never been able to play this campaign beyond this mission. And I have already determined this for a year ..... really a pity that always hang any trigger or do not work! :doh:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mi-8MTV2 The Border Campaign. Corrected mission 8 (Radio Hunt) where group of Mi-24 can not landing.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3760511&postcount=39

Mi-8MTV2 The border campaign

Ka-50 2 Pandemic campaign

Mi-24P The border - prequel campaign

Asus pro gaming Z-170, i5-6600K-4.3GHz, SSD M2 NVME 1Tb, HDD 1Tb, GTX 1080Ti, RAM 32GB, Oculus Quest 2, LG Ultrawide 2560x1080.

I like to ask: Can you have a look at the mission 9, also (its after the radio hunting mission)?

There are no Mil-Mi`s at the meeting point.

<object:

Fly to the rendezvous point with a pair of Ossetian Mi-24 (crossroad near Didi-Gupta), then reach the search area as a group.

No voice and no Mil-Mi´s.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
... Hinds did atack... but else nothing happens.. you can fly around till all your fuel is gone

The same for me, I tried complete this mission several times: landed in rebel camp, circled around it, returned to WP3, patrolled over tunnel again, steel nothing. The pair of Hinds disappears and nothing happens, even I fly to empty tanks. Simply I've gotten stuck and can't continue this very interesting campaign.

Could someone give some advice, or could you repair this bug please.

DCS openbeta 2.5.6.44266

• 2 months later...

This mission (8, Radio Hunting) continues to appear to be broken. I have flown it a number of times and the Hinds disappear. There is some shooting at the enemy, but then nothing more. I have tried simply circling lower and lower waiting for more things to happen, then simply landing by the enemy, but nothing. No Hinds at this point, no progress.

@=RAF=Armen -- Would you please let us know if this is indeed still a bug and, if so, when we can expect an updated mission?

Thank you,

Paul

Edited by pdmarsh

I managed to complete Mission 8, Radio Hunting, but only after a great deal of experimentation, and the triggers still don't seem to make a great deal of sense.

The only thing I did differently to get the mission to progress was to circle the enemy encampment much lower after telling the Hinds to soften them up. I also kept the Hinds in sight using Shift/F10 labels. Eventually there was a message that the Hinds were going to land. I circled around and followed the Hinds for some time, but nothing. They did not attempt to land. Finally, I thought maybe I was supposed to land, so I did. Only then did I get a message from the Hinds that they landed (but they hadn't) and that I needed to land to pick up half of the insurgents. Since I was already on the ground, I waited. Nothing. I took off and landed again. Then I finally got the note where I (Commander) said to embark. As I took off, only then were the Hinds landing themselves.

In spite of repeated generator failures, I made it to Podkova (sp?) and landed, thus completing the mission.

With all due respect, it just shouldn't be this hard. This is not an arcade game where you are expected to simply play over and over until you figure things out.

I'm sorry to be critical, but this is a paid-for campaign and I expect better. Little things matter. Some given directions are wrong, e.g. east vs west, assigned altitudes are wrong, e.g. 3,000 meters vs 1,000 meters, directional beacons don't work.

I know this campaign has been out there for a while, but it continues to be sold on the ED web site. If the author has moved on to other things in life, the campaign should be taken down or moved to the User File section as a freebee. There is less expectation there for missions to be perfect and/or supported.

Again, I'm sorry, but I'm frustrated.

Sincerely,

Paul

I am very sorry that you are frustrated.

But the campaign is designed for people who already have certain piloting skills. And the fact that there are missions in the campaign in which the helicopter is used in extreme regimes is part of the gameplay and the mission's plan is just that, this is not a bug. With careful piloting, all missions are passable without loss of RPM and turning off the generators. The author always monitors the performance of the campaign and quickly fixes bugs that have arisen.

Specifically, in the mission of Radio Hunt, everything works as it should, carefully monitor the messages. Beacons also work in all missions.

Sincerely.

Edited by =RAF=Armen

Mi-8MTV2 The border campaign

Ka-50 2 Pandemic campaign

Mi-24P The border - prequel campaign

Asus pro gaming Z-170, i5-6600K-4.3GHz, SSD M2 NVME 1Tb, HDD 1Tb, GTX 1080Ti, RAM 32GB, Oculus Quest 2, LG Ultrawide 2560x1080.

@=RAF=Armen -- Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it very much.

I believe I have found the source of confusion. In the attached image from a page in the briefing, it appears that the beacon name and call name of the FARPs are interchanged. Through testing, I found that FARP Podkova is on ARK-UD station 1 and FARP Otkritka is on station 2, the opposite of how it would appear from a quick glance of the image. Also, I believe in one of the early missions there is a message that tells you what ARK-UD station to tune to. The message might have pointed to the wrong station, but I don't know for sure.

I hope this helps.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that generator failures are a bug in the missions--sorry for that. This aircraft does take some tender loving care to fly and can't be thrown around in the sky like a HUEY. I do get that.

Thanks again,

Paul

ARK-UD.jpg.8841cab86adabed0bf98b7586fa3b7c7.jpg

Edited by pdmarsh

I have made some interesting observations with regard to the functionality of beacons in this campaign. First, if the beacons don't work, it's not a fatal flaw. You can still fly the missions successfully with other aids. Second, I don't know if what I have found is an issue with campaign mission files or with DCS World.

I am on Mission 11 and initially neither the FARP Otkritka nor the Fort 4 beacons would work for me. I was in DCS OpenBeta. I'll ask that you take my word that I had the radios set up properly for both cases. Next, I opened the mission in Mission Editor and made a single change. As you can see in the image TheBorder01, the FARP beacon modulation defaulted to AM. I set this to FM as seen in image TheBorder05 and launched the mission. Now, both the FARP and Fort beacons worked. In the image TheBorder02 you can see (I hope as it's a dark image), the channel is set to 2 for the FARP and the green light is on. The R-828 was powered up, but set for communications, not compass.

In the image TheBorder03 you can see that the channel is set to 1 and the green light is on. In this case, I have the R-828 channel set to 4 and set to compass as you can see in image TheBorder04. I am now seeing the Fort 4 beacon.

And now something interesting happened. I backed out of Mission Editor and flew the mission as part of the campaign. The radios still worked. I was not able to save the mission file from the editor, so a code change was made somewhere that carried through. I repeated this exact same scenario in the stable version of DCS as well.

And a final interesting point. As it happened there was a Beta update yesterday. When I flew Mission 11 as part of the campaign and from Beta, the radios no longer worked. Whatever change I initiated in Mission Editor before was reset by the Beta update.

There is something odd going on with the beacons.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Paul

P.S. -- I deleted the previous post from yesterday as I wanted to do more testing before that post was widely read.

P.P.S. -- I noted above that it was the FARP beacon that defaulted to AM. The Fort 4 beacon was already set to FM.

TheBorder01.thumb.jpg.edd54c9bc63e60a76af53b22908e0a37.jpg

TheBorder02.jpg.2039b23fe170365aa1795f047dc91fee.jpg

TheBorder03.jpg.5ddda2baf00e9722cbbaafe6cf072802.jpg

TheBorder04.jpg.0a21000caf5ef26e0b51419eb008a6c8.jpg

TheBorder05.thumb.jpg.a33f21c874b30875cd9a76b3a65eea1c.jpg

Edited by pdmarsh

Just a quick note of apology for being overly critical of this campaign. I am enjoying flying the missions and learning a lot as I go along. In fact, I'm about to go move some cargo right now.

Thanks,

Paul

• 3 months later...

I've flown this mission countless times and I'm unable to find the signal. I've even had the main radio switched to the ARC and volume turned to max as in the briefing it says "listen".

I have no idea what height I am, as I'm unable to calibrate my altimeter as the mmHg reading is blank. I've flown around the designated area to the point I'm flying on my service fuel tank.

The 3000m altitude is that above sea level or radar? My radio is tuned in and I'm receiving messages at the way points etc. with the last one stating to commence patrol.

I've flown this mission countless times and I'm unable to find the signal. I've even had the main radio switched to the ARC and volume turned to max as in the briefing it says "listen".

I have no idea what height I am, as I'm unable to calibrate my altimeter as the mmHg reading is blank. I've flown around the designated area to the point I'm flying on my service fuel tank.

The 3000m altitude is that above sea level or radar? My radio is tuned in and I'm receiving messages at the way points etc. with the last one stating to commence patrol.

According to the instructions given:

1. You have to fly at 3000m with your altimeter set at 760 (if you don't see the indications turn the pressure adjusting knob to the right until you do).

2. After reaching the initial point of the patrol area (at the turn of the river southeast of Kvemo Roka) you are instructed to follow the road to the Roki tunnel (I suppose that is at 42.36.34 44.11.05) and back. This is the patrol path.

3. You have to maintain 3000m of altitude and 150km/h speed during the patrol.

4. You indeed have to listen for the Morse signal.

I went up and down the patrol for 45 minutes but nothing happened. Unless I'm missing something obvious, the mission is broken.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up with the altimeter. I had played with it but I didn’t realise it had to be cranked so much before the dial readings appeared. Anyway, I flew the mission, after taking exceptional note of the designated search area in the briefing, and I was still unable to locate the signal.

I’ve given up on it for now and moved over to the KA-50. I’ve had it for a couple of years and not flown it.