Assistance with Devils Cross

Hi All,

I've been trying the Devils Cross mission now for a while but i can't seem to find my target (tank coloum).When JTAC gives me the coordinates, i enter them into the CDU and follow the steps but to no avail. I saw n youtube for this mission when someone received the coordinates from JTAC and did not see him entering them into the CDU but managed to get the targets by manipulating the TAD. Can someone pls show me the way to do this. Really would like tot find the tanks and blow them up. PLEASE!!

:(

If you want Peace, be prepared to fight for it ! :pilotfly:

Look for the road going and coming from and to you. You will find them easily then.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Hi All,

I've been trying the Devils Cross mission now for a while but i can't seem to find my target (tank coloum).When JTAC gives me the coordinates, i enter them into the CDU and follow the steps but to no avail. I saw n youtube for this mission when someone received the coordinates from JTAC and did not see him entering them into the CDU but managed to get the targets by manipulating the TAD. Can someone pls show me the way to do this. Really would like tot find the tanks and blow them up. PLEASE!!

:(

Hi gizmo,

look at this video:

At 1:47 JTAC sends the target location via datalink to the player aircraft. At this step, you will have to make the TAD SOI and hit TMS left short. This will clear the "NEW TASKING" message. Then you need to push the OSB labeled "WILCO". This acknowledges that you have received the target data.

Now, you will see that a red symbol has appeared on the TAD. You can see it in the video at 2:24 right next to the yellow waypoint symbol.

This symbol marks the target location. You need to move your cursor on the TAD over this symbol and hit TMS up short to hook it up.

Now, with the TAD still being your SOI, hit TMS up long to make the TAD your SPI.

Now, to see your target in TGP, make the TGP your SOI and push CHINA HAT forward long to slave your sensors to your SPI.

Now, in the Devils cross missions your target is a moving tank column, so it will most likely have moved away a bit from the location the JTAC gave you so you have to look around a bit with your TGP to find your target. Try searching along the road(s) as the tank column will not move off-road. There are several columns of tanks, IFVs and artillery, which are close to each other so if you have found one column "your" column is most likely not far away.

Hope that helps!

Hi asxdef,

This is what i was looking for. Need to try it out.Still new to this sim.Thank you so much for this info. Really appreciate it.

If you want Peace, be prepared to fight for it ! :pilotfly:

I've had that same issue. When I find the columns of IFV and artillery, the tanks are nearby. Except when I confirm target, JTAC calls back "Negative that is not your target, target XXX miles from there or Negative, friendly units"

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thanks for that link. I'm going to digest it and try again as well. If you want some fun, you can view the track I'm linking. It's my first attempt at the mission. You can kind of tell I don't know what I'm doing, but I do kill some tanks! After I use up the MAVs, I'm left with the cluster bombs. Why do I have those? What good are they against tanks? I dropped a couple cluster bombs right on the tanks, and it didn't do anything.

Then I got a sustained warning and thought, "Oh no, SAM is gonna kill me". Turns out, instead, I was running low on fuel. I haven't studied anything about mid-air refueling, but thought I would try to learn on the job... I managed to contact AWACS, and was informed there was no tanker available.

So, I had to try to make it back to base. I planned on probably having to eject, but I made it within sight of the base.... then completely ran out of fuel, and the cockpit went dark. Fortunately, I managed to glide to the runway, and it was clear. I made a rough landing, but didn't bust any tires or anything, and managed to roll off the runway onto a taxi way.

Then, I ran out of momentum. Just for kicks, I turned on APU and contacted the ground crew, who was able to re-arm and refuel my bird. But, then, I didn't really know how to get my plane running again, and decided to turn in instead of head back out for the tanks.

Anyway, it was a fun first mission, and an exciting end with the no power landing. If anyone wants to check out my track and offer feedback/critique, that would be awesome.

A few questions:

1) How can I exit the radio with F12 without it taking a screen capture?

2) How am I suppose to know what all the JTAC jargon is?

3) What are the cluster bombs for in a tank busting mission?

4) Was there anything I should have done differently with fuel running low/out?

5) I'm not sure how to get permission to land via ATC. I was able to contact them and request a landing, but the best I ever get is "Call Tower." How do I call the tower? And, is there a way to request an emergency landing?

6) If you watch the track, was my non-powered landing handled well enough? What is the correct thing to do in that circumstance?

Thanks!

I'm gonna watch the video and try to do it a little better next time!

SWFirstCampaignMission.trk

A few questions:

1) How can I exit the radio with F12 without it taking a screen capture?

2) How am I suppose to know what all the JTAC jargon is?

3) What are the cluster bombs for in a tank busting mission?

4) Was there anything I should have done differently with fuel running low/out?

5) I'm not sure how to get permission to land via ATC. I was able to contact them and request a landing, but the best I ever get is "Call Tower." How do I call the tower? And, is there a way to request an emergency landing?

6) If you watch the track, was my non-powered landing handled well enough? What is the correct thing to do in that circumstance?

I usually dont even mess with the targeting pod unless I am carrying LGB's. What I do is fly at about 12k feet, receive the JTAC target on the TAD and make it SPI. When over the target area I visually identify the target and then roll in when the solution looks good. I dont have any trouble with SAMs in the first few missions but after that it gets more difficult.

1. Just press the \ key again.

2. I believe all of the 9 line is covered in the manual.

3. Cluster bombs dispense various types of bomblets over a wide square pattern. CBU-87's are good for infantry and light armor, CBU-97's are best for killing tanks. Drop them in CCIP mode for best results.

4. You can load more fuel into the aircraft at the start of the mission by going into the ground crew menu found in the comms menu. You can also change your loadout this way.

5. ATC comms are kind of broken, just land when you feel like it after calling in a request for landing.

6. In a non powered landing you should keep the gear up and flaps up as long as possible to conserve airspeed. I didnt watch the track but any landing you can walk away from is good enough, especially in a damaged or gliding aircraft.

Edited by J. Heller

Win7 64

Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4P

AMD Phenom II 965 BE@3.6Ghz

8GB ADATA Gaming series@1333

2X ASUS ATi 5770 1GB Stock in Crossfire

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

2x WD Caviar Black 320GB HDD's

1000W Xion 80 plus Gaming series PS