A moral dilemma...

dmatt76

A moral dilemma...  

29 members have voted

1. 1. A moral dilemma...

• It's enough just to mention shooting down a plane.
    • It's OK to put some more details in a mission.

A kind of hard question...

What do you think about creating a historical mission in editor, based on actual events, with as much details as research and DCS allowed - but knowing that an allied plane was shot down and the pilot killed?

Is it enough just to mention the incident without any details?

Is it OK to mention pilot's name and further details, put some more info in radio messages and popups to create a kind of documentary, story driven mission?

Where is the line between having fun at the computer, trying to tell a story or teach some facts in an interactive way and the respect to those who were killed in combat?

Edited by dmatt76

Isn't that essentially the 'Nirvana' that the WWII crowd want ?

- to be able to re-fly the actual battles that were fought, and in which actual real pilots died ?

If they re-create the circumstances leading up to an attack (x was bombed by y, z civilians were killed and n pilots lost by both sides), aren't they doing what you want to, but not naming names simply because the list is too long to make naming one person significant ?

Why hide that we're playing a game that simulates killing people ?

People really die in wars, that's why we should avoid them when unnecessary.

Cheers.

A kind of hard question...

What do you think about creating a historical mission in editor, based on actual events, with as much details as research and DCS allowed - but knowing that an allied plane was shot down and the pilot killed?

Is it enough just to mention the incident without any details?

Is it OK to mention pilot's name and further details, put some more info in radio messages and popups to create a kind of documentary, story driven mission?

Where is the line between having fun at the computer, trying to tell a story or teach some facts in an interactive way and the respect to those who were killed in combat?

As long as the information you want to use is in the public domain, then I don’t see a problem with including the details.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

As long as the information you want to use is in the public domain, then I don’t see a problem with including the details.

+1 this.

Also, if the material is handled respectfully, and fidelity to historical facts is a goal, then it is disrespectful for that troop's legacy to transfer their sacrifice to a fictitious proxy

If the battle is just a setting for a free-for-all, that's one thing, but when recreating units, air craft #s, et cetera, then you are representing actual people & their names& memory should be preserved.

Consider this: in the use of actual names, you give people a springboard to look deeper into these people, so they become more than "that extra guy who dies" , and can spark an interest in the human side of conflicts. That's somewhat obscured when you use fictitious names

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

The moral dilemma is in the real war. Every war game I've ever played had historical scenarios, often based on specific people/battles. That's the reality, whether you name them or not. It's no different than using an ace's skin on your plane.

At least if you mention their name, people will continue to know they existed and might actually bother to learn about them, the conflict, etc. At the end of the day, this is a game, ''morals'' and the vagaries of war are irrelevant here. If somebody's heart is hurt by such things, they probably shouldn't spend their recreational time playing a game that actively and deliberately emulates it.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Basically, every combat mission ever flown in which ordinance was released resulted in someone dying. That's the terrible nature of what our pastime simulates; war is a horrendous thing.

All that said, you do deserve kudos for having the introspection to ask this. You clearly respect the subject matter. Not too many gamers do, frankly.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

There's your answer, it's up to you the kind of mission you seek to create and your purposes.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

If I was the son of a killed Pilot, no matter which nation or flag, the least I wanted to encounter is to find my Dad's name in a "game" used for someone's fun.

It is no simple question to answer as one could also conclude:"Never let this happen again" after having played that mission. It all depends on the participants perception of things.

The wise move, imho, would be to exclude real names to not feed the dragon.

Exceptions could be WWII scenarios which happened 75+ years ago.

I use the words "game" and "play" to underline the difference between Real Life and Virtual World.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If with respect and is in public domain, do not see the problem with this.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10