Jester (contextual) menu shenanigans

Eldur

I find myself never using the contextual menu. Why? The answer is simple:

It gets reordered by the seemingly completely useless "spot" option and I keep activating the wrong things there while trying to take the options by heart when they're not where they're supposed to be.

After all I wouldn't mind the contextual menu not being there at all...

And just to emphasize it again... a back option would be the killer feature to have twilightsmile.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

And just to emphasize it again... a back option would be the killer feature to have twilightsmile.png

This part I agree with completely. +1

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A simple way, at least, as an option, would be to remember the last menu opened and indeed a "back to previous"' command. So we could go to radar or ground weapon setup, select all settings one after the other, without surfing through up to four menus.

And while we are at optimization for the Jester menu: directional commands like azimuth or target aspect or selecting a specific target should represent the real world position or direction facing the nose of your plane!

East should be right, 3 o'clock. West left, 9 o'clock and north top 12 o'clock etc.

Iceman menu for direction, the same.

Typically Users do NOT read menus after using them for a while, they memorize the position of menu commands. That is why Windows adaptive context menus never really work and are usually deactivated where possible, or at least where people know how to set it back. Because they do not like the ever changing "find the menu option" game, when under stress.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

+1

We definitely need some sort of consistency with the Jester menu options in general - currently even if you go back to the main menu start display and work from there, you still can't program a lot actions to Voice Attack commands as the option selection order changes depending on circumstances.

Altering radar direction options as an example - if A, A, Ctrl-2, Ctrl-3, Ctrl-6 moves the radar scan to the right, that needs to remain the same regardless of if you have a target locked/on scope or not. Would be very nice. Same deal with Radar silent etc.

The main drawback with Jester and radar use in the F-14 is that he just doesn't use any common sense at all. No scanning the radar left/right, trying to notch after launch and Jester doesn't sweep the radar to extreme to keep target in sweep area etc. So you constantly selecting multiple Jester menu options while trying to monitor a bunch of other stuff.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The main drawback with Jester and radar use in the F-14 is that he just doesn't use any common sense at all. No scanning the radar left/right, trying to notch after launch and Jester doesn't sweep the radar to extreme to keep target in sweep area etc. So you constantly selecting multiple Jester menu options while trying to monitor a bunch of other stuff.

Guess that will come eventually, but very valid points there (quoted part and general consistency of the menus). One thing that came to my mind immediately was similar: Why doesn't he try to get the contacts that are given by AWACS and Datalink? If the altitude difference is too much, he wont take control of the antenna elevation yet to get those known contacts.

BTW I also had the idea already to increase the number of options on the wheel to 10 or even 12 (well 10 would be better to fit the alphanum keys)... most significant advantage would show when entering numbers via that menu, not having a sub option for another menu to get 8-0 anymore. I guess hat switches aren't being used anyway to control the menu which probably is the reason for 8 facets there. In most cases it's literally impossible to trigger the corner positions without striking one of the adjacent ones anyway, for example if you want to trigger POV Upper Left corner, you'd most probably also hit POV Left or POV Up while doing so as well.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

May i suggest merging this thread with the RIO feature and bug thread? I think we have common goals and critiques :)

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I guess hat switches aren't being used anyway to control the menu which probably is the reason for 8 facets there. In most cases it's literally impossible to trigger the corner positions without striking one of the adjacent ones anyway, for example if you want to trigger POV Upper Left corner, you'd most probably also hit POV Left or POV Up while doing so as well.

Well... When you don't have a TrackIR or VR headset, it's faster to use a hat switch than having to Alt+C and move your mouse.

However, I agree for the precision... It's too easy to select "Jettison" when trying to hit another option.

Would be great to have a submenu to confirm weapons/drop tanks jettison.

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

Other approach:

Why not giving us pilots the ability (e.g. via the special options of the F-14) to re-arrange the items of the Jester-menu on our own, according to our own needs? Giving a default setting made by HB, I personally would like to change a lot of settings there (change the damn left-right bullshit, kill contextual things, ... and much more stated above by other drivers ...).

Nevertheless. The F-14 rocks. Thanks again and again for creating this wonderful piece of software!

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Well... When you don't have a TrackIR or VR headset, it's faster to use a hat switch than having to Alt+C and move your mouse.

However, I agree for the precision... It's too easy to select "Jettison" when trying to hit another option.

Would be great to have a submenu to confirm weapons/drop tanks jettison.

Yes, but you can put that on the keyboard, or use the POV hat to control the menu-line, that moves your view in the same way as the Headtracking view controls the menu-line.

The concept of "looking in a menu options direction" does not necessarily require head tracking, just view control.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'd even love to have the possibility to move the jester menu dial to another display.

in my case i have a touch screen in front of me which shows the 2 front displays.

there it would be great to be able to put the menu and to use touch inputs to command jester...

and a possibility to tell jester to switch from sparrows to phoenix would be nice ...

and to tell him to lase some ground targets ...

and to tell him ... whatever! .. :D

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

I'd even love to have the possibility to move the jester menu dial to another display.

in my case i have a touch screen in front of me which shows the 2 front displays.

there it would be great to be able to put the menu and to use touch inputs to command jester...

and a possibility to tell jester to switch from sparrows to phoenix would be nice ...

and to tell him to lase some ground targets ...

and to tell him ... whatever! .. :D

The pilot commands Phoenix or Sparrow with his Joystick's Weapon select switch, not the RIO... ;)

Shagrat

It would also make sense to me if there were simple numerical keybinds for each Jester command. Frankly, it would be a lot faster if you knew a given command was 2,4,3 or whatever. I can take my hand of my stick for the .5s it takes to hit a few keys on the keypad, and would rather that than the several seconds it takes to try to navigate the wheel which also blocks my view. It's a case where old school is just far more functional than the modern highly graphical interface.

It would also make sense to me if there were simple numerical keybinds for each Jester command. Frankly, it would be a lot faster if you knew a given command was 2,4,3 or whatever. I can take my hand of my stick for the .5s it takes to hit a few keys on the keypad, and would rather that than the several seconds it takes to try to navigate the wheel which also blocks my view. It's a case where old school is just far more functional than the modern highly graphical interface.
The default keybinds are LCTRL+1 to 8, in addition a couple of specific commands are available directly, but require you to bind them yourself... you did look into the control options for Jester, before posting here? ;)

Shagrat