Tracks that are not broken

Eldur

Is it by chance possible to have tracks that are not broken anytime soon?

Basically ~ 95% of the tracks I record have severe playback errors, in most of them DCS isn't even able to recalculate my taxi to the runway, 'cos it just runs my planes into the grass next to the taxiways...

This is a vital part for bug reporting alone, let alone any other uses of track playback. So pretty please fsgrin.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I just watched a replay of my efforts on the AV-8B AGM 65 mission and none of the Mavs actually fired in the replay. After that I watched my setting up the UFC Tacan for the RTB and the plane turned over to the left then flew straight into the ground - never even got to see the landing on the runway?????

my mi8 tracks are currently useless, like I fly into mountains after 15 mins

even though I did not when flying the track

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

The way the replay system works right now, instead of recording the state of every single system, it just needs to remember the changes (I think). Instead of logging the position of every unit 60 times per second, it just logs the changes in control inputs. If you use time acceleration, it can throw off the possible inputs. The challenge of fixing them is that creating a system that saves the entire state of every single switch and system of every plane and unit in the mission every tick would create massive replay files even for short flights, and would take a lot of extra system resources. My best guess is that replays that are broken come after lag spikes or other disruptive events where the game gets confused, and the track replay either contains extra inputs or not enough. It would be nice to see a better or more accurate track system, but it's not as easy as it sounds.

"Fighter pilots have ice in their veins. They don't have emotions. They think, anticipate. They know that fear and other concerns cloud your mind from what's going on and what you should be involved in." -Buzz Aldrin

• 2 months later...

Yes, the track records all your controls inputs. When you run a replay it uses the control inputs as if someone were flying the aircraft by using your control inputs.

Thee problem is that there are enough in the results of what of what you are doing in the cockpit (feedback loop: you adjust controls and look to see if the aircraft is flying exactly as you wish, then you adjust to correct your flight--rinse and replete for as long as you are flying) and the replay engine trying to do exactly what you did, resulting is some tiny variations in the outcome, which add up over time. Often it is most visible while taxiing on the ground, but even with an airstart it can occur, especially if you do some hard maneuvering.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Yeah, the controls are re-input into the simulator and it literally recalculates everything. It is very very easy for floating point precision problems to play a role here and tracks could well be broken because a single line of code somewhere rounds off a float number wrong, or converts an integer to a float etc.

Some sort of functional replay system has been on the wish list since I first got here. Generally speaking they’ve never worked properly for anything more than an extremely simple mission.

More than a few units on a map? Guaranteed to break.

Any time accelerations? Guaranteed to break.

Longer than 10-15 minutes? Guaranteed to break.

Too many view changes? Guaranteed to break.

I honestly don’t know why mods/devs want us to post tracks for bug reports. Do they have some way to play them back unbroken?

The other strange thing is that I’ve never had Tac View glitch a replay. Presumably it’s recording the same information, but it doesn’t have a problem repeatedly playing it back. I wonder if it’s possible/what it would look like if a Tac View file was played back inside DCS.

Long story short, mods/devs long ago stopped commenting on these threads. Track playback has always been broken and I’ve made peace with the fact that it’s going to stay that way forever.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

• 9 months later...

I second fixing the track system. I have some pretty awesome fights that I want to see again from a 3rd person godview perspective, maybe use it to record footage for a video or even show friends that might be interested in DCS, but the tracks are so off right now its really a waste of computer resources to even have it on.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the replay system is broken and needs to be addressed. As a youtube content creator, the current state of the replay system is very frustrating and extensively limits what I am able to create.

I don't know what the fix is, but from a user standpoint I want a stable system that allows you to fast forward and reverse at various speeds.

Edited by madmalik23

Check out my YouTube channel for DCS content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-FbRGi8LIcehKvJN0yWkfw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]