How it Works: Mi-8 Electrical System

Sorry guys, I had to "phone a friend" for this one. My presentations are all based on the Mi-17V-5/Mi-8AMT (i.e. "new") electrical system, and it would be just too much work for me right now to rewrite my presentation to cover an Mi-8MTV-1/2/3, so instead I'll just upload the entire maintenance manual section for the electrical system for an Mi-17-1V (export version of, and identical to, Mi-8MTV-1). It should be identical to the Mi-8MTV-2 electrical system. Who knows, maybe you guys will prefer it to my usual presentations since it's "right from the horses mouth." But in typical Russian maintenance manual form, it's a lot of what I call "wall of words", so it may require patience. ;)

Mi-8 Electrical System.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:thumbup:

Very kind of you sharing this with us!

:thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Thank you! These should be annexes to the final flight manual, I think/hope!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but it seems like any and all information on the electrical system and its workings belong in the thread entitled "How it Works: Mi-8 Electrical System"!

My question (one of perhaps many) is this, when I set the wafer selector to battery 1 or 2 should the DC voltmeter show a charge even if neither of the batteries are switched on? That is the current behavior (pardon the pun).

The full start up recommends testing for voltage drops by first switching on battery 1, setting the wafer selector to battery 1, and then turning on the fuel booster and then doing the same for battery 2. That seems to imply to me that the voltmeter should read zero until the battery switch is thrown. Otherwise, why isolate the switches by turning them on one at a time to test them individually?

Thank you!

Edited by RudderButt

Yes, even with the battery switches OFF, the DC voltage selector will show the battery voltage when BATT 1 or BATT 2 is selected. Or I guess in Russian it would be AKK 1 or AKK 2.

The reason for the test you described is that sometimes batteries have a habit of showing a higher voltage than they really have when they have no load placed on them. By doing the test, you check each battery individually under a slight load to get a better idea of the actual battery voltage. If you did the test with both batteries on, they would load balance a bit and you might be masking a battery with a low voltage under load.

Thank you so much! You are a real asset to this community. I don't know why, but this module in particular has captured my imagination. It has never been enough for me to simply memorize the order of operations without understanding the whys and wherefores, but for some reason I find myself digging even deeper than usual with the Mi-8. I will no doubt have more questions as I try to wrap my head around the electrical system but I am deeply grateful to you and all the subject matter experts who are willing to help people who have never been inside a real helicopter get better at flying virtual ones!