Walleye questions

hreich

1. What pod should i load to be able to guide walleye during flight?

2. How can i lock walleye to target - does TDC depress works, or is it autolock feature?

3. Can i zoom walleye?

4. Can i lock tgt using targeting pod and then slave TP to walleye ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

1. Datalink pod is what it's called.

2. Autolock as far as I can tell.

3. No zoom.

4. I doubt it but have not tested this.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Hello! I've done some simple tests on this new weapon. I think I can answer you: 1) use aww-13 data link pod to control; 2) by pressing TDC, you can stabilize the field of view of the bomb. If the distance is close enough, it will try to lock automatically at the same time; 3) no, as the first TV guidance weapon, it can not enlarge and focus; 4) surprisingly, agm62 will automatically turn to TGP locked target or TGT point!

Will we be able to buddy guide Walleyes?

I second that question. i think about a Strike Team were the First have SEAD + Datalink and the Second has 2 Walleyes + Data Link and after releasing the bomb the first plane take controll over the Channel2 Bomb and the second one over the channel 8 bomb.

Additional i also have some questions:

1. How long is the "warm-up" Time for the Walleye (time until you see the videofeed) and how does i trigger the "weapon-startup"?

2. What is the intended height and speed where you should release the bomb to get maximum range?

3. Did the bomb some sort of auto targeting? We use the 476 Range target Mod and i drop sthe bomb on some sort of dart-board on the ground. When dropping the bomb, i can see some blurred picture on the video feed where the target will be. No details ect. Its more like "i know its somewhere there so i put the crosshair in that direction. But after dropping (without datalink) the bomb land excatly in the bullseye of the target.

4. The bomb need some time to find the target and give feedback when its ready to release. But when i switch from bomb to data link (wihout select channel or put datalink in Wall-E Mode ,the weapons switch instant to ready and when i drop it, it land on some place somewhere but absolutely not near the target. Is that a bug or intended behaviour?

The only thing i've found with the TPOD slaving scenario is its actually quite hard to tell if the Walleye itself has locked or not. When targeting a Walleye purely via the camera then the crosshairs either lock or drift if no lock has been achieved. When you slave it to the TPOD and uncage then you get don't get that drift feedback if the Walleye hasn't locked on properly.

Besides the better resolution of the TPOD, one other perk is that you get feedback in your HUD when you're in range for the weapon.

Edited by bfr

Ok i am having problem with uncageing...I select master arm, select station2, click on wedl twice, click on DL13 on my left MFD, switch diamond to left mfd and click on uncage..And ststus is still caged? How to do it properly?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Ok i am having problem with uncageing...I select master arm, select station2, click on wedl twice, click on DL13 on my left MFD, switch diamond to left mfd and click on uncage..And ststus is still caged? How to do it properly?

Make sure the the Walleye DDI is Sensor of Interest. Apparently you've already have that covered.

It should unlock. Maybe is something wrong with your controls (wrongly mapped, maybe).

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

The only thing i've found with the TPOD slaving scenario is its actually quite hard to tell if the Walleye itself has locked or not. When targeting a Walleye purely via the camera then the crosshairs either lock or drift if no lock has been achieved. When you slave it to the TPOD and uncage then you get don't get that drift feedback if the Walleye hasn't locked on properly.

Besides the better resolution of the TPOD, one other perk is that you get feedback in your HUD when you're in range for the weapon.

Well, a way that I found to use Walleyss since it is a short-sighetd bomb is to used the TGP pod to lock the target. If, in the Mission Editor you setup a waypoint on the target location, you can select that waypoint as target on the SA page, as well.

Once uncaged, the WE will slave to target.

Once slaved and Datalink pod selected, I realease the bomb at the Maximum Range.

However, once released, the WE will lose lock, and will boresight, because it was not locked, only slaved to the TGP. What I do is take control of the bomb and point the sensor at the general direction of the target. As soon as you get closer and closer, then you will be able to lock the target.

It works well IF you have a large structure or reference point to know where to look at with the WE in flight and boresighted.

My first test were in Area 51 where I put a SA-10 site next to the runway, so I had the runway as a reference to guide me as it got closer to the SAM site. However, this tecnique does not works well for small targets.

The second test was at Bandir Abbas Naval base, a big target that even the TV sensor on the WE can see at distance, Once the bomb is release, will boresight and you can only see water. What I do the is slew the sensor to the general area of the port and guide the bomb there. Once it gets closer, you can lock the target, in my case a Neutrashimy frigate, wich is large enough for the sensor to pick up at distance. Once locked it is a matter of guiding the bomb to target, very reminiscent of the Gulf War pictures.

The upside of this is being able to release the bom at 15~20 nm of the target.

The down side is having to guide the bom, at the same time trimming the plane, since the WE is very heavy and unbalance the plane.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

Well, a way that I found to use Walleyss since it is a short-sighetd bomb is to used the TGP pod to lock the target. If, in the Mission Editor you setup a waypoint on the target location, you can select that waypoint as target on the SA page, as well.

Once slaved and Datalink pod selected, I realease the bomb at the Maximum Range.

However, once released, the WE will lose lock, and will boresight, because it was not locked, only slaved to the TGP. What I do is take control of the bomb and point the sensor at the general direction of the target. As soon as you get closer and closer, then you will be able to lock the target.

It works well IF you have a large structure or reference point to know where to look at with the WE in flight and boresighted.

My first test were in Area 51 where I put a SA-10 site next to the runway, so I had the runway as a reference to guide me as it got closer to the SAM site. However, this tecnique does not works well for small targets.

The second test was at Bandir Abbas Naval base, a big target that even the TV sensor on the WE can see at distance, Once the bomb is release, will boresight and you can only see water. What I do the is slew the sensor to the general area of the port and guide the bomb there. Once it gets closer, you can lock the target, in my case a Neutrashimy frigate, wich is large enough for the sensor to pick up at distance. Once locked it is a matter of guiding the bomb to target, very reminiscent of the Gulf War pictures.

The down side is having to guide the bom, at the same time trimming the plane, since the WE is very heavy and unbalance the plane.

I agree, this works well. It's been my technique since Walleye was introduced.

It does get very busy though, between guiding the bomb, trimming, performing a turn away to maximise standoff, and defending against threats all the same time. Good fun though and I think I've mastered it.

That has been my experience as well. Although lately I have had no luck getting datalink after release (ie. I get the datalinked TV image before release, but lose it after release). This is starting on the ground and rearming the Walleye and pod. I might have to try different combinations of which store I select first to see if it does anything.

1. How long is the "warm-up" Time for the Walleye (time until you see the videofeed) and how does i trigger the "weapon-startup"?

I can answer that, as I have made the test. Turns out it is like the AGM-65F, three minutes.

That's what I was getting at. Slaving off the TPOD is a good way to get into a position to launch the weapon but you then have to keep your eye on it to make sure its really acquired the target post-release. Once the seeker has locked though, its a pretty effective weapon.

What little tests i've done with anti-ship have been a bit weird. It appeared to lock but then went long if left to its own devices, like it was aiming for where the sight line intersected with the water surface rather than ship superstructure i'd locked to. Any hits required manual steering corrections late in the bomb's flight. Then again, LGB behaviour can be a bit like this too where the laser seems to lock onto spots beyond a building.

Edited by bfr

What is supposed to mapped to slave the weapon. I can't get the crosshairs to slew. After I uncage they won't move. Watched a ton of videos. Can't figure out what supposed to be mapped. Thanks

It's like the Maverick, you can only slew (before release) if you undesignate the target. Slave the seeker to the target and then undesignate and slew manually. Post release, you can slew via the datalink pod, even if you have a designated target.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

is it normal to have to hold down the tdc depress switch while moving the agm-62 seeker?

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

What is supposed to mapped to slave the weapon. I can't get the crosshairs to slew. After I uncage they won't move. Watched a ton of videos. Can't figure out what supposed to be mapped. Thanks

I accidentally found it but, I have to hold down my TDC Depress button the entire time I'm slewing the walleye seeker.

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

thank you, cthulhu68

Yes, this is being worked on and will be available a bit later.

Thanks

Great to hear! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I agree, this works well. It's been my technique since Walleye was introduced.

It does get very busy though, between guiding the bomb, trimming, performing a turn away to maximise standoff, and defending against threats all the same time. Good fun though and I think I've mastered it.

That's why the Walleye ER/DL was created in the first place. They needed a way to correct the impact point but the attacking pilot was too busy getting out of dodge to have the bandwidth to do so.

Instead, a follow-on plane would have the datalink and could steer the bomb into the target.

Check out the below, should work for you.

There's an option for "realistic slew" under Options/f18/ special. Uncheck it and you wont have to hold down tdc for slewing.