Can't get ground crew to remove chocks

mphelps06

I have canopy open, am at idle throttle, have parking brake on. I know it's something simple, but just cant figure it out. I'm running from the carrier cold start instant action mission. What am I missing?

You have to joggle through radio "menus" and holler at the them on the "radio":director:

We have chocks? I've done countless cold starts and never had chocks.

Next time on carrier us F2 and have a look you will see them

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

This is same here. In my case, the ground crew will respond "Unable". Just could not figure out why they would be telling me they cannot remove the chokes.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

You do need to remove the chocks before hooking up on the catapult. Is that what you've been finding?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

You do need to remove the chocks before hooking up on the catapult. Is that what you've been finding?

you cant get to the catapult with out removing the chocks in the first place since you need to taxi, if you spawn rdy for take off the chocks are already removed

There seems to be some step which makes it impossible for crew to take off the blocks. No idea what it is as it doesn't seem to be logical. Just ask them removed straight away, and it's all good.

I'd guess a bug there, at least I haven't managed to come up any real logic why it sometimes fails.

Edit: maybe not a bug, if you have launch bar lowered, they can't remove the blocks. Although not sure how it would actually interfere.

Edited by Ratas

There seems to be some step which makes it impossible for crew to take off the blocks. No idea what it is as it doesn't seem to be logical. Just ask them removed straight away, and it's all good.

I'd guess a bug there, at least I haven't managed to come up any real logic why it sometimes fails.

Edit: maybe not a bug, if you have launch bar lowered, they can't remove the blocks. Although not sure how it would actually interfere.

If you ask them to do a repair it may change the order of priorities, not sure maybe they only start repairs when you shut down...just thinking

I think wheel chocks should be removed before starting the engines.

Also, if launch bar is lowered it will trap the front wheel chock beneath it.

Sent from my H8266 using Tapatalk

Hmm, no! It's the last thing I do before taxiing on the carrier.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Had the same. For me it worked out to just engage the parking brake. Which makes kind of sense.

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

• 3 months later...

Tip..: in case your cannot remove the wheel blocks, then release the handbrake and add power and then cut your power to 0..

This will move the wheels a tiny bit and the plane will become unstuck.

If not then restart mission..

( its a rare bug have happen to me 1 time out of like 150 flights ).

Regarding not being able to talk to the crew and get rearmed..

there can be a few reasons..

1). In some planes you need to turn off the engines and they also sometimes need to be 100% turned off and not spinning anymore before you can rearm.

2). You are not playing with easy communication or radio assist

( this depend how the mission was made )

But typical people use the wrong radio frq.

In the hornet you need to start 1 of the engines ( right engine ) to be able to turn on the radio... You need to talk on com 1 frq 127.500

3). im not sure, but it could be that the instant mission is made in such a way that the aircraft carrier have 0 weapons and extra fuel and you only can use what is preloaded.. ( a guess ).

However regarding ground crew you shouldent need to tune any radio to talk to them.. and as you know as long as they say something they can hear you. ;-)

When you ask to refuel/rearm with your hornet turned off, then try to move your trust joystick forward and back to 0 to see if that solve the problem.

It is amazing how misinformed some people can be!

Without naming names, the only reason you cannot remove the chocks when required is if the aircraft isn't correctly configured. In other words, after your four finger check, retract everything again!

You don't remove the chocks until you need to move the aircraft, and you don't talk to the ground crew via the ATC frequency. The ground crew don't require you to get taxi clearance first. As for jiggling the radios a bit and hollering - just how do you holler in DCS World, I missed that bit in the quick start manual!

Come on guys, get your facts straight!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this. Been away for months and was about to go crazy when I couldn't have the chocks removed.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 2 months later...

I think I hit a bug, where ground crew wasn't responding to me after the F-18 was powered up -- make sure canopy is open and put the emergency brake on-- and then that seemed to jog things-- then:

press \

press F8 (ground crew)

press F4 (wheel chocks)

press F2 (remove wheel chocks)

done

I can't find any 'bug' here, tried it with virtually every combination with canopy, parking brakes, wing position, recovery hook, even with only 1 engine started , etc.

The only factor in Ground Crew pulling the chocks is the Launch Bar; it MUST be retracted regardless of parking breaks or canopy open/closed.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC