LRM 2.0 Beta1 enters public test phase

RvEYoda

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i read through it, and there is way more that should be mentioned.

the burntime of the r27et is longer indeed and the balistics are to be fixed.

the tws function of the russian fighter needs to be fixed, in real it is a usable tool, and mulitable targets can be tracked.

the iff of the eagle needs to be fixed.

when you look a freindly you get a huge cross in your hud, that indicates not to shoot, although you could.

ecm strobes are normaly only visiable for the enemy

automatic HOJ missile shots are not real, the pilot still has to choose if he fires a missile or not. there will not ba a missileshot automated by the computer as far i can recall the eagles systems.

and that does not matter if the plane was in range before he used a jammer.

the eagle can go with full milpower and a full combat load higher then it can in lomac, thats true.

it needs more power, cause the engines in lomac are equal to the once of the first tranch of f15a, which is for sure no f15c :-)

the g effects of the pilots needs to be cut down a bit, cause this way, what happens when you set it to realistic is by far not realistic at all.

a pilot in the nato has to withstand 7g´s for about 30 sek or 45 , i am not sure. took the test long time ago.

but sure is, that all the pilots who fly fighters, can withstand 9 g´s for about 30sec, which is realistic and about the average when you look at statistics

one mature thing that needs to be fixed if possible is the visability of the nav lights.

when you switch them on, you see them for many kilometers. has anybody ever watched the planes pass overhead at night when they are at cruise alt ?

the visability range of all fighters need to be fixed.

there is a bug that is used by most pilots in the community.

you will never ever be able to see a flanker or a f15c at a range of 30km, which is the biggest bug i have ever seen in a flightsim so far.

a mig29 or f16 head on are picked up visual at about 3 - 4 km. an eagle or flanker at about 6 - 7 km.

but not 30km like in lomac

in the russian fighters, the hsi is not working correct when you switch to the bvr mode, this must be a bug, cause the hsi is not linked to the weapons computer which controlls the combat modes in real life.

the chaffs were allready mentioned by you yoda

automatic HOJ missile shots are not real, the pilot still has to choose if he fires a missile or not. there will not ba a missileshot automated by the computer as far i can recall the eagles systems.

and that does not matter if the plane was in range before he used a jammer.

I never meant for any automatic fire

I said(I think?) automatic HOJ by aircraft radar if in parameters :)

example of compromise that might be doable for next patch :

within 30-40 km, burnthrough.

40-80 km, automatic HOJ by aircraft

80+ : ECM instantly break radar tracking

Agree 95% with your post :)

The HSI also is bugged in eagle and A10

it locks up when exiting nav mode

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

The 169th server is now running LRM 2.0 with custom options. See this post at the 169th forums.

Thanks again Yoda for all your efforts!

With the updated list, i will propose RvE and all other LRM server to run the same, so that

maybe we can have some uniformity with HL LRM. :)

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Any more changes to come from the above downloadable variant?

new features? No.

Default settings false/true - probably not, but server admins can of course still change as they like

Bug fixes? Maybe, although I dont see anything obvious right now.

Performance Optimizations - yes.

I'm working with Crunch to eliminate any performance issues in the LRM scripts on

their huge 169th mission. Once we reach a point in there where the scripts

don't cause any noticable performance hits, i'm sure we can go ahead with

the official release. If that mission works fine with it... Others wont be a problem ;)

I have been unable to detect any performance loss in our missions,

but the 169th mission is so huge, I need to work on optimizing the scripts

not to cause noticable effect

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

hey yoda, a burnthrough on a jammer depends allways on the radar you use.

with an old f4 phantom radar or a fairly weak mig29a radar i will not get a burnthrough before an estimated range of 20km.

eagles might get a brunthrough at a range of 30km - 35km, do to the fact that this radar is so powerfull and send hard nailing beams to the fighter and gets back enough noise to be filtered.

so you estimation you posted about hoj in kilometer ranges are way of reality.

the ecm topic is really a thing that bothers me for a couple years in this sim.

and the way to strong chaffs and flares.

most of the times flares in a huge ammount still work with full ab in lomac, but flares are useless when you light up the rear of your bird. the heatsource is way to big. maybe not hotter then the flare which burns at about 1200°celsius but the size matters there and the time the flare is active.

Burn-through might never ever be achieved at ranges beyond 1000' in some cases, regardless of your radar. It's the ECCM that matters most, be it innate (due to antenna/other component design) or specific applied ECCM techniques.

Yoda's guess is as good as yours, and it's good enough for what -can- be done in the sim.

Also, real life engagements seem to disagree with you - remember that F_15C that popped sidewinders at a MiG-25 in front of it? It was afterburning like mad (Well, like a MiG-25) with those HUGE engines and ... it decoyed the 9's with flares.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Flares are made to cover many different bands of EM emission, just because

many missile seekers use not only IR, but also UV detection. Not only can they

decoy missiles by seeming like a target, they can also distort the shape of the target

and most importantly oversaturate the seeker that is looking for a target.

Burnthrough is depending on a lot more factors, like

what kind of jamming is employed. Sometimes if you turn on your jammer,

it is even possible that it wont even try to jam the opponent, so he

has perfect track of you from max detection range, even if you see your

ECM light lit up.

From talking to a mig29 pilot, he claimed to in a training excercise have been

able to track his target full burnthrough within 35-40km. I cannot recall if it was

against an f-16 block 40 or another mig29. It was a simulated BVR 1on1.

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

Have you also noticed, that the server is almost totally empty 24/7 a week, except few test- or event-moments?

(..coming back to: .."you can program ya ### off with all your nice beautifull ideas, if ppl are not "educated" enough and falling back to "easy customer usage" and "fast food" behaviour :megalol: +:cry:+:doh:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think issue is more that there is no uniformity... LRM mod has so many things changed from LockOn people are not used to it, are unknown of some of its featires, and also some features are not popular.

I for one have tried the Target Step Mod for the F-15 and tested it with few other guys from 3Sqn and I am certain it is very wrong step in the oposite direction... with it I was able to snap TDS over target as I was in tight turn even before it showed on my radar. With simple HOTAS macro I could set to Snap-Lock then fire missile pretty much instantly and turn tail leting AIM-120 guide itself. That is so unrealistic if you ask me.

We from 3Sqn have decided not to use or allow this part on our server (if and when we adopt it on our server)

Let me also ad that I and other very much understand the background of Yoda's will to change how people fly in LockOn and eradicate some really crappy flying "style" but some things that are added do not add realism, and in fact work very much in favour of arcade-like easy radar usage. Another thing I am not so much fond of is turbulence... i find it just anoying when I am flying at 500m nice and level and my plane starts yawing, dipping or pulling nose up. Turbulence should shake the aircraft, not change it's flynig like that. If it would work like that in real life people wouldn't be able to fly like those crazy french youtube video's :D or flying tight formations. Also there has been mention that very close to the groung you get cushon effect where you need to apply pressure downwards to leand the aircraft... with speed this cushion effect should be stronger so effectively your nose should never pull downwards close to ground, but up.

Edited by Kuky
  • Like 2

No longer active in DCS...

Hard to fix, what once destroyed ( exploit video )

Instead of "..look, how smart i am.." and putting it on youtube, it would have been better to send it to the devs only.

Dont take it personal Yoda.

Edited by A.S
  • Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With simple HOTAS macro I could set to Snap-Lock then fire missile pretty much instantly and turn tail leting AIM-120 guide itself. That is so unrealistic if you ask me.

The unrealistic part is that it snaps before it appears on screen. That's the only unrealistic thing about it, and its a lomac thing.

We from 3Sqn have decided not to use or allow this part on our server (if and when we adopt it on our server)

Because you feel it is unfair and that is understandable.

not add realism, and in fact work very much in favour of arcade-like easy radar usage.

And you think certain real radars aren't like that? Just about everything carried on the F-15, F-16 and F-18 is like this, and that's without even going to the AESAs and then the F-22 and F-35. It is almost -exactly- like easy arcade radar ;)

Turbulence should shake the aircraft, not change it's flynig like that.

That is both correct and incorrect. Situational ;)

But the purpose wasn't to introduce realistic turbulence here. (Incidentally, I flew fingertip with it)

with speed this cushion effect should be stronger so effectively your nose should never pull downwards close to ground, but up.

Tell this to anyone who's flown into wind shear :)

The point here is two-fold; you're half-way correct, some stuff adds realism, some stuff doesn't seem realistic but its purpose is to drive people away from things that screw up some of the A2A realism. You've picked which you like and which you don't, and that's all there is to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yeah, fair enough... the thing I really don't like about the target step mod is I get a guy in F-15 who I was chasing do quick turn and before I even get his nails I have active inbound on me... that just does it for me. I understand the purpose of turbulence but still it doesn't feel right flying for me, sure you can fly tight formation with it but not fast. And another thing I don't like about some of the mod for the F-15... it adds more "capability" to it only... I am of the opinion now that MiG-29S is undermodeled in radar department also but this mod does nothing for it, in fact it dumbs it even more by forcing it's radar to go off when flying low (and I'm not talking sub10m flying) and even reducing radar range scale to min 5km. With F-15 you can have 10mn set range and press KP0 to snap onto target which is 15nm and outside radar screen, practically you don't even have to set radar for the merge, the mod does it for you... all you need to know is target altitude.

One other thing that comes to my mind is actual capability of real MiG-29 to have EOS and Radar working independently. I found a situation where this can be quite usefull (if it can work like this in the real thing)... you could have both radar in High PRF and EOS working... if some aircraft is going away from you and radar does not pick it up (remember we are talking 35km range for receding fighter and I'd have to assume this would be only with Low PRF mode) the EOS surely would be able to pick him up. Effectively you could have radar being able to pick incomming and EOS outbound aircraft.

Here is one thing I would think would add to more realistic flying online... limit all aircraft to 2 AA/SARH missile and 2 or 4 IR (short range). WOuld be hard to start spamming missiles as you know you only have few and also I think in most real life sorties fighters don't fly with absolute max missile load as we do in LockOn. LRM mod is perfect for that.

Here is one thing I would think would add to more realistic flying online... limit all aircraft to 2 AA/SARH missile and 2 or 4 IR (short range). WOuld be hard to start spamming missiles as you know you only have few and also I think in most real life sorties fighters don't fly with absolute max missile load as we do in LockOn. LRM mod is perfect for that.

Weapons loads depend upon several factors, but the early preference for four AIM-120s and four AIM-9s had been superseded by the time. The more common loadout was now two AIM-9Ms, four AIM-120s and two AIM-7Ms. And this has changed now to two AIM-9s and six AIM-120s, I guess the only "unreal" loadout in FC is eight AIM-120s anyway.

cheers

• Like 1

Have to say I realy like Yoda's work on it, and it is sad that people don't won't a bit more challenge here. I know it is fun to fly with 1200-1300Km/h in between 10-20 meter's, such thing is more unreal then the hole turbulence mod itself!!!

I believe most of the people out here can't even fly in a nice formation online with his wingman ( MiG's and Flanker's I trim always with the "H" key like that people) lol. So the next Q comes up why 90% fly's the MiG-29S online? Because it is the favorite plane from the "ET maddogclub" and know the have problems with flyeing 1200km/h low in the weeds, what everybody know's that this is quit unreal, oh sorry not everybody. And know when I fly online on our server and I kill someone from a far distance, the think it happens with the MOD, but I killed people before this MOD was out there from a far distance and know the start to complain about the MOD what a sh...!

Best example, yesterday, the 169th server was not runing the MOD, after killing someone from a far distance he was askeing me how I did it "because ther was no warning, and this is the EXPLOIT mod" and blablabla. After telling him that there is NO MOD runing, and he should stop flyeing with ECM ON all the time since he was taxing ECM ON ofcourse :megalol:. Thats the problem what people said above already, most of them have no idea, what is flyeing around on the HL, thats it.

I hope Yoda is fixing some performanc issues, and then lets go again...

cheers

:D hehehe, I find so funny people flying with ECM on all the time, but they just don't know better... yeah Yoda's mod does bring some stuff to more realistic level, but some it doesn't. If I for example don't fly the MiG-29S only (which I don't) and don't run 1300km/h at 20m for me the mod brings more challenge, yes, but fails to bring the aircraft I am flying to more realistic level. Things like no take off from taxi, etc they are great and I highly enforce it... but target step mod not. I don't have too much problem with turbulence but after flying with it more, I don't find it more usefull. In fact I think once in RvE server I got 2 guys crash in front of me as I got to merge, one hit the ground before I could close in properly (he snuck in to our base) and other, well it wasn't due to turbulence, he just stalled as we were merged... the guy that crashed must have hit the ground as he was very fast and going low :)

So still hats off to Yoda for wanting to make the game more realistic, but I just think replacing one downside with another is not use, especially when the mod helps only one side/aircraft and again some parts can be used for new kind of exploit.

Edited by Kuky

First of all, Yoda can only work with what's there. He can't give the MiG-29S 2TWS.

Regarding the 'short range' set at low altitude, this too has its purpose, and that's to stop people from flying uber-low and shooting up like it was nothing. Now, the MiG radar DOES have issues with actually jamming itself low to the ground, due to the construction of its antenna; it reduces the gain and thus sensitivity when flying low.

If you can really snap a target beyond 10nm in the 15 that's hole, but probably one that's easily plugged ;)

The only thing that adds capability to the F-15 is the target snap. The rest of the mod affects everyone pretty much equally.

Remember the guy I shot off your tail in MF? He was going to try to keep chasing you by dropping under the radar floor - he'd have outran me, but the turbulence mod bounced him back up and forced him to fight me ... that was very nice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GG and Kuky ur both wrong about target step.

It snaps cursor only after a target is detected by your radar

and you then press the button to step, just like the real f-15 radar.

BUT remember, if you once detected something, it takes a few

seconds before it's cleared from radar memory (so if he fades,

you can step for a few seconds then gone)

target step mod will NEVER snap/step anything unless your radar first

detects him.

If someone can provide information that the russian radars can do the same

thing in the real jets, there is no reason why we can't implement that too.

target step does NOT IN ANY WAY help you FIND targets.

If you want to find one plane which has one of their a2a weapons increased Pk the most?

you should look at the flanker...

With LRM it was given the fastest ECCM, so eagle cannot ecm flash him anymore.

Furthermore eagle was reduced 120->32 chaff

I would like to see how happy flanker pilots were if you would need to press

"radar left, radar right, radar, up, down, down, down, up, up" while you have STT

lock and ER in flight...The real eagle doesnt need with twsBug/stt, the real flanker

doesnt need to, but with lockon standard and firing amraams tws, that is what the lo

eagle has to do without lrm. Call fixing this unfair improvement?

I don't agree at all. I call it dumb if not fixing it.

And honestly, let's think a moment. Should we not fix a problem/introduce a realistic

aircraft feature just because it mariginally improves one plane's capability?

Is this a SIM or HAWX? ok Lets not implement any realistic systems, just leave

the planes in the condition of a 1yr old baby. :P

Blocking users scritps

With the new lrm (im rewriting the entire thing) you will be able to

_completely_ deny clients to run ANY scripts except the server's.

I'm also integrating tacview so its timings don't interfere with lrm.

This way the playing field is even for everyone.

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

GG and Kuky ur both wrong about target step.

It snaps cursor only after a target is detected by your radar

and you then press the button to step, just like the real f-15 radar.

BUT remember, if you once detected something, it takes a few

seconds before it's cleared from radar memory (so if he fades,

you can step for a few seconds then gone)

target step mod will NEVER snap/step anything unless your radar first

detects him.

I have personally experienced that I was in turn, kept pressing KP0 and I got TDS to snap to position before I even saw the blip on the radar screen. Also I tried to snap the TDS onto somenoe that was outside my selected scan zone... ie, my radar range was as 10nm and target snapped to some 15nm and radar range switched to 20nm so basically I pressed KP0 and got TDS snap to target that didn't show on my radar screen... yes the target was detected by my radar as it was in scan volume and range but I saw no radar blip as my radar raneg was 10nm and he was about 15nm.

I would like to see how happy flanker pilots were if you would need to press

"radar left, radar right, radar, up, down, down, down, up, up" while you have STT

lock and ER in flight

Don't know why you mention this, the F-15 doesn't have to do any of those with STT lock either?

Edited by Kuky