VR optimization?

I’m not getting the performance I would expect when playing in VR, are there any DCS specific settings or tweaks or a guide for improving performance?

I’m getting a fair bit of studdering and 1-2 second freezes when in VR.

I’m running a rift S at 1.3SS.

Messing with the trees and grass doesn’t seem to make any appreciable difference in performance, or really any other settings for that matter. Dialing the SS to 1.0 really doesn’t seem to make a difference either (except stuff is uglier of course)

System:

WIN 10

Ryzen7 3800X @4.5ghz

EVGA RTX 2070 XC, water cooled running 2150/7500 clock/ram

16GB DDR3200

1TB SSD.

Suggest you post this in the VR sub-forum, would probably get a lot more feedback there.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

With the 2070

Only expect lite / med duty's in VR with DCS (DCS was not made for VR like the store games)

Pull back the pre load radius to 30 - 40 and vis range to medium, this lifted the GPU to 90% to 100% utilization for the quick test I did and held 45 fps with high graphic settings on the 1080ti

For a mission I possibly need to dial it back more, this is with a PD of 1.6 standard rift. In a small free flight mission.

Testing a few settings to get a smooth low city flight. It's about smoothing it out and having a nice steady smooth stream. Variation is what causes stuttering.

I.E hold 45 no matter what your doing or where your flying etc. Negatives in the headroom here and a few little dips to 38 fps as see in the video.

Quick video low flying at the Gulf, showing oculus diagnostics, Open Hardware Monitor and Msi.

This is still not a mission with lots of Ai, this was just to fine the settings to be sort of smooth here in a large city with max eye-candy, it would be close tho for a medium size mission at a "steady" 45 fps. Once away from the city possibly.

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-debug-tool/

Oculus Debug Tool: Go to Program FilesOculusSupportoculus-diagnosticsOculusDebugTool.exe

Tun on (Visible HUD) = Performance. To see this when playing.

1080ti has around 20%...ish on the 2070 depending on game.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/4029vs3918

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Indeed, go with medium visibility range. The visibility range (distance buildings render at) is by far the biggest CPU hog in the game. In VR, CPU is generally the bottleneck unless going nuts with the super sampling.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.