Which direciton? VR or TrackIR+HOTAS for A10C?

wagdog

Which direciton? VR or TrackIR+HOTAS for A10C?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Which direciton? VR or TrackIR+HOTAS for A10C?

• Trustmaster HOTAS
    • VR!

Recent industry stats put VR usage still well under 1% of the PC game market.

Wider PC game market is irrelevant. We're interested in flight sims, specifically. What percentage of the wider PC game market do you think own HOTAS setups over $100? Are they a waste of time because of it?

I would echo PhoenixRising above. I had fallen out of flight sims in general years ago, and started flying IRL. Sims just didn't do it for me after that. 2D monitors suck and destroy all the various physiological ways you interact with the plane. Then I bought an Odyssey and suddenly I'm enjoying flight sims again. It's just a totally different experience IMO. Since then I've spent more money than I want to think about on flight sims and hardware and upgraded to a Reverb.

Edited by Jester2138

• 2 weeks later...
Flight sims and racing sims are a whole different animal with VR, and the good type difference.

If you look at the many, more or less casual, VR games on steam or oculus store, maybe you can say VR market is a flop. Most AAA games today are still on monitor, new ray-tracing tech and VGA cards are done for monitors.

But if you look at racing or flight simulators, VR is a game changer. It is impossible even to Imagine a current simulator without VR support. For what I'm concerned, I've stopped to play AAA games on monitor since VR and I rediscovered flight simulation after many years. Now, if I switch my computer on to play, it's a flight simulator in VR.

Almost everyone that has gone VR has flatly refused to use DCS in any other manner. On the other hand it is hard to enjoy the more modern full-fidelity modules without a HOTAS like the Warthog. VR requires a more powerful computer to utilize and it's guaranteed that the time until you wish you had a different VR set will be rather short.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the Rift S, it is a whole new level of immersion thought would be hard to go back to 2D from. On the other hand the graphics are not as good as Track Ir with a sweet monitor......that dude Spudkncker has some sweet graphics with his setup.

My vote would be VR + HOTAS if you could swing it.

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

Having the Rift S, it is a whole new level of immersion thought would be hard to go back to 2D from. On the other hand the graphics are not as good as Track Ir with a sweet monitor......that dude Spudkncker has some sweet graphics with his setup.

My vote would be VR + HOTAS if you could swing it.

Yep. I could never go backwards after having flown with VR. I can live with the slightly degraded graphics quality for the HUGE leap forward in immersive quality. And VR is just going to keep getting better.

I have the Vive Pro and Warthog stick and throttle and it's an awesome setup. I'm thinking about adding MPDs as well now.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Definitely VR,because you are in the 3D Cockpit and don't sitting only on a flat 2D Screen.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

First vr experience today

Bought the Oculus rift s yesterday, installed it today and after a slightly frustrating hour got it all working.

My rig is pretty basic....i7 4790...rx570......16g ram so not expecting much. I set everything to low settings and flew the gazelle.

I have to say I'm impressed, the feeling of being in the aircraft is superb, yes the outside world looks pretty basic at ground level, but once you're flying at 20 feet and 100 kts through las vegas you forget about that. I use the thrustmaster warthog hotas and cougar mfds with 7inch screens and head tracking normally as my setup for the A-10c, most settings on high. It's definitely a step backward to lower the settings, but the immersion in the aircraft is worth it in my opinion.

Well, there is currently nothing which can top the immersion of flying VR.

I have combined it with VoiceAttack and its amazing.

I will never go back thats for sure.

If the FPS drops so much that i cant play it i would rather stop playing DCS than using Track IR again.

But this is all personal preference, if you dont know VR you dont miss anything and a good Hotas is always a good choice.

So maybe best choice would be to first invest in a good stick and than safe for a Rift or something like that.