Skeleton Map creator?

VZ_342

A while ago there was a thread about someone who developed a bare-bones map of the Caucasus theater, with only the major airfields and direction/distance between them. I saved the image and found the font was a bit small, so I edited it with bigger font and symbols showing ownership of the airfields. :book:

I'd like to know who did the original "skeleton map" (I think that's what it was described as), and credit him with that. :thumbup:

If I'm not able to find out, would it be ok to make my version a downloadable "user file"? I have searched the ED Forums using many different keywords, and the user file area, with no luck.

Thanks!

Here's the modified Skeleton Map. The font size was increased and symbology was added to show Russian, Georgian, and neutral airports.

Please, if you know of any corrections to be made, feel free to let me know.

:pilotfly:

213292401_DCSCaucausesSkeletonMapLgFont.thumb.jpg.965e6142581deea9d88cfe8afbe0d4df.jpg

Twas me VZ342

I did a metric and imperial

It was originally an Excel file as I recall & I'll still have it somewhere in the bowels of the computer. I think I called it a schematic map. Call it what you want, you have my full permission,

I really like your updated version too :thumbup:

If you want the Excel files (probably a bit easier to work with) drop me a PM

Due to me fouling up my sign ins, I'm Weegie on hear but Monument on the User Downloads

Here's the modified Skeleton Map. The font size was increased and symbology was added to show Russian, Georgian, and neutral airports.

Please, if you know of any corrections to be made, feel free to let me know.

:pilotfly:

Looks great! I like minimal maps.

It was originally an Excel file as I recall & I'll still have it somewhere in the bowels of the computer. I think I called it a schematic map. Call it what you want, you have my full permission,

You did that in excel?!?! How would that work?

I was going to offer help in drawing that in a vector format as the resolution of the symbol looks rather poor. But if you can get hold of the working files then I guess that would be fine.

But do let me know if you need any help

I only used Excel as I don't have any CAD or other drawing packages, so I used Excel's rather limited drawing tools. I've completed several full motorcycle wiring diagrams with it, so this was reasonably easy.

Anyway attached is the relevant Excel File

I'd be really glad to see it taken on by people with better tools interested in pushing it forward some more, that would be great

Also really pleased that somebody liked it and was getting some use from it. When you make something like this, most of the time you have no idea if anybody found it useful or not

Caucasus Schematic.zip

I found it excellent for showing relative positions of the major cities...before, I’d used a print of the region but it was damn hard to read (big blue dots over the cities, font blending into the terrain, no bearing/distance info, etc)

My eyes would glaze over trying to find any given city...heck, even the famous “X” airport that is used as a bombing range I didn’t know the name! In MP the briefing would say, ...take off from (city) and I’d think, “yeah yeah sure, I don’t know where that is!”

Now I have a convenient 8x11 easy to read map, and *BOOM* I’m oriented to where the he k I am...

Many thanks, Weegie!

:)

Wow... are there any like this for the other maps, or is this unique right now?

Seems like an important tool for the pilot who's low on fuel, or lacking a working advanced navigation... say as if your HUD has failed, at least you can roughly get places.