TM50CM2 Early Impressions

Supmua

Mine came in and early impressions are positive. Going to compare mostly with VKB MCG Pro since they're of the same tier. Overall, I'd give it a slight edge over VKB MCG Pro but this is fairly subjective.

https://ibb.co/tXyhP5M

https://ibb.co/hZDCVNn

https://ibb.co/MMXB018

Fit and finish: I would rate it slightly better than VKB, the body seams are not as apparent on the side although they seem to weigh about the same and are fairly light compared to Thrustmaster Warthog grip. They do feel more premium than the Kosmosima grip, but still kind of plasticy compared to the metal grip in Warthog.

Switches: A toss up between the two, both have tons of configurable switches. I don't enjoy using the Trim or POV switches on the VKB (lighter springs and longer throw). These switches are shorter, tighter and feels better on the CM2, but I still prefer TMW's trim switch when it comes to trimming. The flip switch (in front of trigger) and the brake lever, however, feels better on the VKB grip (more springy). Trigger switches are so so on both (kinda clicky), and I still feel like brake levers are too long on both (coming from long-term use of TMW grip as my main)

Comfort: I prefer the CM2 since the head is a bit smaller than the MCG Pro, so upper switches/buttons are easier to reach with my thumb. Again this is pretty subjective, as people with larger hands might feel otherwise.

Performance: So far it's been roughly the same to me with DCS. They are both a great fit for their own bases as they were designed as such. No complain in this aspect.

Price: They're both 160 Euro, with shipping to the US this becomes >200 USD (213 in my case), so definitely not cheap. Are they worth it? That depends. If you are the type that think of cars as objects that get from point A to point B then cheaper grips might be more reasonable. But if you want flagship products from Virpil or VKB which feels slightly more premium then my answer would be a yes.

Extra Points: Virpil uses the same connector as the TMW, which means they're more cross compatible with a few other joystick bases out there and this is something to think about if you have multiple joystick products. I could rotate usage of these grips and plug em into my TMW/WarBRD/FSSB bases. Note that TM grip can be adapted to use with VKB base via an adapter, but I haven't been able to buy this (waited a year) and we're talking about other grips anyway.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I really wish both Virpil and VKB would look at the switches and the how they are mounted on the CH Fighterstick. Better than the Warthog, Virpil and VKB switches IMHO.

The quality of the CH Fighterstick switches is still unmatched. Fully agree.

mighty pilot, so it seems

· Intel i7 8700K 3.7GHz · Asus 1080 Ti · HP Reverb · Virpil T-50CM2 base + stick · Virpil MT-50 Throttle · TM TPR Pedals

Compared to the Warbrd base, which feels really amazing compared to TM warthog, I honestly expected a little more from the stick.

For the price, it should have more quality feel to the buttons. The flip-up trigger is very short and soft, because you're pressing on it with a lever. Three face buttons should feel better for this price. More rugged with better solid feedback.

Good thing there are more hats than buttons, because they feel much better. Solid clicks and design, the thumb won't slid over the top. 8-way hat can easily be used for TMS hat.

I'd gave it 4 out of 5. TM grip buttons felt better, IMO. When the F-16 arrives, I'll probably get the TM grip. That seems to produce the best combo, but I do love the longer throw/height of this model and it looks great with cyrillic lettering. Palm naturally slides into place, ergonomics is spot-on. Index finger over the trigger and thumb over the CMS hat.

It just needs a little extra with the buttons, then I'd rate it perfect.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Balanced and good initial impressions. I assume your TM50CM2 is not desktop, you have it on some type of mount? (Because of how high it is.) Or are you using it center mounted on an extension?

(I don't have the TM50CM2 yet to compare but it seems VIRPIL directly looked at the VKB GF MCG Pro and copied all the main points that the older Mongoose 50 lacked. (Wise move. :) )

Mine is center-mounted on the chair without extension. I do have a 10-cm extension tube but I'm not using that as the grip position is too high--this grip is rather tall compared to other grips. My WarBRD base also has a longer throw/increased deflection angle compared to other bases, so the combination of long-throw base and tall stick is not a good thing unless you have plenty of space in-between.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Compared to the Warbrd base, which feels really amazing compared to TM warthog, I honestly expected a little more from the stick.

For the price, it should have more quality feel to the buttons. The flip-up trigger is very short and soft, because you're pressing on it with a lever. Three face buttons should feel better for this price. More rugged with better solid feedback.

Good thing there are more hats than buttons, because they feel much better. Solid clicks and design, the thumb won't slid over the top. 8-way hat can easily be used for TMS hat.

I'd gave it 4 out of 5. TM grip buttons felt better, IMO. When the F-16 arrives, I'll probably get the TM grip. That seems to produce the best combo, but I do love the longer throw/height of this model and it looks great with cyrillic lettering. Palm naturally slides into place, ergonomics is spot-on. Index finger over the trigger and thumb over the CMS hat.

It just needs a little extra with the buttons, then I'd rate it perfect.

That's why the TM grip stays on my main PC for now, love the fit and finish and how the buttons respond to pressing, although it could use more buttons when compared to rivals. I do think, however, that the T50CM2 grip is a better fit for the WarBRD base (perfect balance on the base, no wobbles when you let it go back to the center). I'm now thinking that Realsim's F16 grip might end up being my ideal stick, with its premium finish and crazy amount of buttons, yet I'm afraid to see their pricing (I expect it to be at least $500 especially with in-built Bluetooth and electronic gyro sensor).