Possible better business model for trainer aircraft?? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #1
Gungriffen

Default Possible better business model for trainer aircraft??

I've thought about this for a few years. The idea of a trainer is to help new people learn to F̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶f̶e̶ fly in DCS.

Issue is no new player is going to up $60 to learn to fly in a game they're not sure about then another $60 to fly a combat aircraft. Up till now this has left trainers being flown by pro's who have gotten bored with most other modules.

With Heatblur selling,
"F-14A/B by Heatblur Simulations Crew-Pack (2 licenses)

Regular price $159.98"

I started to wonder, what if trainers were sold as a "2 man trainer crew pack" for $120ish and then the owner could "host" an aircraft with a free slot others could join into. When the host disconnected the plane would despawn removing the "guest".

This way trainers could be used to train new players and the license price will cover the guest.

Just a thought.
Gungriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
Flagrum
Veteran

Interesting idea, tbh.

To add to the discussion: a free (or cheaper) trainee license and a instructor license (costs similar to current regular license?). The trainee then can only fly when connected to a trainer license.

New players can get a trainee license easy (i.e. for free), but can only enter aircraft controlled by a instructor license.
Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
Frederf
Veteran

Agree.

But maybe multi-crew where second (third, fourth, etc.) crew is not a trainee but operational crew maybe this idea different.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Ventus_Clu

I really like the idea of a free "trainee" slot, I think there are alot of people put off of dcs by the complexity of dcs and feeling they have to learn it on their own, but they could be enticed into dcs if someone was there to guide them. Then they could purchase the combat varient and be fully capable to fly it.
Ventus_Clu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
DerekSpeare

DCS needs a C172 and a T37 plus a comprehensive suite of training missions for both.
Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | FI-P3D v2.5/3 | FI-FSX
My Hangar: FC3 | Hawk | C101 | M2000 | Mi8 | UH1 | F86 | L39 | A10C | NTTR | F5E | F/A-18
DSD TS Server: derekspeare.typefrag.com | PW = dsdftw!
Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE
DerekSpeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
Schmidtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungriffen View Post
I've thought about this for a few years. The idea of a trainer is to help new people learn to F̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶f̶e̶ fly in DCS.

Issue is no new player is going to up $60 to learn to fly in a game they're not sure about then another $60 to fly a combat aircraft. Up till now this has left trainers being flown by pro's who have gotten bored with most other modules.

With Heatblur selling,
"F-14A/B by Heatblur Simulations Crew-Pack (2 licenses)

Regular price $159.98"

I started to wonder, what if trainers were sold as a "2 man trainer crew pack" for $120ish and then the owner could "host" an aircraft with a free slot others could join into. When the host disconnected the plane would despawn removing the "guest".

This way trainers could be used to train new players and the license price will cover the guest.

Just a thought.
Sounds very expensive if you ask me. Paying $120-ish for a trainer? Don't think a lot of people are willing to do that.
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:28 AM   #7
WindyTX

101cc is only $30 I just bought it for my second Rig if you aren't in a hurry wait for a sale and get 2 for $60.

My only wish is that I could bind the same Aircraft twice to my account for dual use. Having 2 accounts is a pain.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses
WindyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
zhukov032186

The thing is, there is little to no incentive to bother with trainers for 'training' in the first place. Assign primary controls and use auto-start and BOOM your F-18 is super essy accessible even if you know nothing. Crashing has no financial or ''death'' penalty and you have no operating costs (the primary reasons for using trainers in real life).

Point is : the only people likely to use a trainer anyway, are people interested in the aircraft in question, and a handful of diehards wanting to simulate a training pipeline, which would technically start with the Yak-52 then moving to any of the jet trainers (english cockpits pretty much render all of them equally accessible).

TLDR : The people who buy them are the same people buying for the same reasons as they buy any other aircraft, because they want to. You're never going to end up with anything remotely resembling a real training pipeline here because 99% of people won't bother with it.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:25 AM   #9
Gungriffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtfire View Post
Sounds very expensive if you ask me. Paying $120-ish for a trainer? Don't think a lot of people are willing to do that.

Missed the point.
The idea is you can buy a single seat license for the standard $60 or buy two for $120.

The point is options.

The options to pay for one seat or both seats.
To teach friends not sure about DCS or not to.
Gungriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
Buzzles

Just as thought: by going down these proposed routes, you'd be introducing different types of licences into DCS and associated complexity.
Might not be something ED wants to open themselves up to.

With regards to trainers, it's a bit hard to judge, opening up the backseat to non-licence people makes sense, but for things like the F-14 pr any of the up coming multi-seat helos? Not so much considering their expanded role.

RoF handled it well by allowing people to jump into the turrets of the aircraft you were flying, but DCS doesn't yet have any aircraft that really have such limited positions to use for that purpose.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote