AvioDev will be attending International Airshow Aire'75 - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
BIGNEWY

good to see you overcame the weather issues, and thanks for sharing the pictures here.
Forum rules - Crash advice - Cleanup and repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703
BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
zaelu
Veteran

Sounds it was a success. Great!

Any movies?

I5 4670k, 16GB, GTX1070, G940HOTAS extremely modded with Bodnar0836X and a wooden case (really!)
zaelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Aginor
Veteran

Glad to hear it worked!

I would love to see some footage of the C-101, maybe just an uncommented flight for a few minutes, basically what we would have seen if we had been able to attend Aire'75. That would be great!
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
rajdary

Thanks for updating, sad i missed it, hopefully next time. Is it an anual venue?
rajdary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
BHawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanOscar View Post
This event has made us learn and observe some details. I think we had many children wanting to try the simulator, which is very good, but we also believe that due the complexity of a hardcore product like this, is not suited for them, and there was other activities on the platform more fitted for young audience, this is something we will have to study in future events that may arise. Still I think they had fun trying to control a military aircraft, and they would surely realize that it is not trivial matter.
A free simulator demo at an air show might seem like it's the proper target audience for your product demo, but it's really not. The fact that the demo was free meant that it attracted children with cheap parents looking to pre-occupy their children at a location where there are very few interactive displays. These people have no interest in purchasing a flight simulator, they're just interested in pre-occupying their children with cheap (free) entertainment. This sort of mindset tends to bring out the worst sort of people who actually find it funny to damage hardware being used to demo the sim. I suggest charging $1/minute to use a sim at an air show to keep out people that have no real interest in the flight sim and are just looking for a cheap way to babysit their kids for 15 minutes. Also do the $1/minute as reservations in 10 minute increments, so you don't have a line of angry impatient people waiting. They just come back when it's time and give the flight instructor their reservation card and get their allocated seat time. Reservations means you can sell out a whole day of flights as early as noon and be able to actually have a paying audience of people that want to know about the sim. The cost of admission truly helps. I think you're going to find that while events like this are fun, they do not give you a bounce directly in sales. If done right, they are a fun experience to host though and might actually break even.

Take my opinion as from someone who has staffed flight simulators at air shows for years now. Your target audience is at cross odds with an air show venue unless you charge for seat time. Those that are willing to pay for seat time are most likely also interested in the flight sim itself. Either way, there is not enough throughput at an air show to see a spike in sales or perception of what you're actually trying to demo. The average air show attendee just wants to experience a free amusement ride at your expense. Price of admission keeps the riffraff out and ensures that you can schedule proper demo of things to people who actually want to experience it in a controlled environment via an instructor demoing it.

If your goal was to get get the word out for your product, an air show is the wrong venue. If your goal was to get marketing and promotion photos of large crowds using your products, it would be useful. Really depends upon what your end goal was though. Be mindful that you goals for demoing at an air show are often not the same goals the average air show attendee's are.

Last edited by BHawthorne; 10-15-2014 at 01:18 PM.
BHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Ktulu2

I respect your opinion, but I would certainly not pay 10$ for a 10 minutes flight. I spend most of my free time on flight sim, but 10$ is, after all, buying the F15 again to play 10minutes with it. I feel like its pay-publicity : yes, some people might be interested, but I disagree with such philosophy.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #17
Abburo

Well, that looks like a mean statement... "cheap parents" etc...
I just want to express my disaproval for your explanation. I am a parent, I use any ocasion to let my son touch/use of anything new or less common things whenever I do have this oportunity. This makes me cheap also... in your acception.

From all those kids with "cheap parents" maybe over years some of them will remember that experience and even will raise some more interests to revive it or even more....

You are definetly not a parent
HW Specs: i7-8700K@5GHz,ASUS Maximus X Hero, 16GB RAM 3000MHz, MSI Nvidia GTX 1080TI watercooled, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Intel M.2 250 GB, VPC Mongoos + Leo Bodnar BU0836(A and X), MFG Crosswind, G13, T650, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift
Abburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
vicx

Just read this thread and I think every contribution is made in the right spirit and there is enough truth to go around AND around.

I just came to comment that I am impressed that AvioDev is doing this kind of activity. Keep the fire, Avio but don't burn out.

Also wouldn't it be kinda great if there actually was a DCS module that was suitable for children. Something with a system element but without requiring a 100 page manual. Something kid size with a 5 page manual and handful of buttons and switches. DCS: Avio Funjet?
vicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #19
1.JaVA_Platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicx View Post
Also wouldn't it be kinda great if there actually was a DCS module that was suitable for children. Something with a system element but without requiring a 100 page manual. Something kid size with a 5 page manual and handful of buttons and switches. DCS: Avio Funjet?
That's the F-15

Digging in for the following flame-war
Old 08-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #20
vicx

That is a silly suggestion. There is nothing fun about the F-15 and it doesn't have a clickable cockpit.
vicx is offline   Reply With Quote