Index vs Reverb

p1t1o

Ok but resolution is only one aspect of hmd.

See Pimax situation :helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

There's nothing wrong with Pimax. The software is a little glitchy on the smoothing etc. But I flash back to first ATW and ASW attempts by Oculus.

The better resolution *and* the increased FOV is pretty cool!

After I get the Reverb, I'll keep one and sell the other off. I'm sure the Reverb will look better, but I have to weigh the wider FOV of Pimax. I really don't know if I can go back. We'll see.

EDIT: Well, I guess glitchy software counts as something wrong! LOL

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I take a ruler in front of the miror (I know, not very scientific measurement :D), it seems I'm very close to 64mm.

Am I the only one or what ?

No that is an average IPD but plenty people do not have an average IPD.

While this is exaggerated, its practically like if car manufactures made it so short people were too short to climb in the car and tall people were too tall to physically fit, so only average people could get in. How stupid would that be if you intend to sell cars to most people?

I'm lucky enough to not need glasses, but I went to an optician/optometrist when the rift came out to have my IPD measured. They actually got mad at me telling me they weren't in the business of measuring peoples IPD's just to have them go buy glasses online from someone else!

My IPD turned out to be 69. My wife who does wear glasses has an IPD of 58 and she needs to be able to use the headset too (how do you think I got the huge price tag past the wife approval board!?).

I cant imagine having such an expensive headset that wasn't able to be dialed in to make it as clear as it can be when using it. But thats no fault of the reverb, its aimed at enterprise for a specific purpose. The index is aimed at enthusiasts for gaming. The reverb resolution is really going to have to be a major game changer to be worth sacrificing all the features a gaming oriented headset brings to the table. It cant just be a little better, its going to have to be a lot better.

I have a Rift CV1 now and if the index makes the gauges not blurry anymore, allows me to spot targets better and runs smoothly the Reverb is really going to have to blast me into another dimension of quality to make up for all the things I'd be missing out on (such as playing roomscale games with the knuckles controllers at 120fps/hz).

Edited by Vullcan

Yup. Currently running my Rift at 2.0PD.

Me 2....

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

My IPD turned out to be 69. My wife who does wear glasses has an IPD of 58 and she needs to be able to use the headset too (how do you think I got the huge price tag past the wife approval board!?).

HP Reverb has a better lens and clarity what could cover software IPD adjustment between 55-71. So you got approval. :thumbup:

HP Reverb has a better lens and clarity what could cover software IPD adjustment between 55-71. So you got approval. :thumbup:

What is software IPD worth though? If its not altering lens geometry in relation to eye geometry, its only doing half the job.

The annoying thing is, the displays on the reverb would be a shoe-in with physical IPD, but for non-average people considering the reverb, it turns the excellent, advanced displays into a head-scratcher instead of a no-brainer.

Reviewer didnt mention their own ipd. Maybe they are out of the range. This review mostly is a copy of earlier ones. The main concern I have is how bad the mura would be given that 2 different reviwers commented on it. Other than that no real concerns aside from IPD which hopefully isnt an issue for me. I might also wait for reviews on the Acer, which will hopefully not have these issues.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You tend to ignore mura when things are happening.

Personally I'm one of those who constantly find myself reminded of it when things slow down again with my rift.

And this is a panel flaw, you cannot calibrate this away in software.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

May want to read the review carefully so you can spot all of the speculation and confusion of details between the two headsets being reviewed in it. :book:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Even though Im not leaning towards the reverb, I doubt the mura will be that much of an issue. I have an older monitor with terrible mura (displaying pure black, it looks like a view into dimly lit fog) but thats about the only time you actually notice it without specifically looking for it.

May want to read the review carefully so you can spot all of the speculation and confusion of details between the two headsets being reviewed in it. book.gif

Care to clarify? Reviewers opinion of the reverb is fairly cut and dry.

Edited by p1t1o

Thanks jojo! :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

You tend to ignore mura when things are happening.

Personally I'm one of those who constantly find myself reminded of it when things slow down again with my rift.

And this is a panel flaw, you cannot calibrate this away in software.

Pretty sure mura is calibrated purely by software/hardware. Not user fixable but factory.

LOL! How many more times is that same, erroneous review going to get posted in this thread? :megalol:

HI

I found this on a review of Reverb and the Rift S.

It makes for interesting reading

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/a-tale-of-two-inside-out-vr-headsets-the-400-oculus-rift-s-600-hp-reverb/

Already discussed and discounted. Author mixes up features and problems between the 2 units.

twice maybe?

And glad I went for a Rift now!

If you went for the Rift based on that review, all I can say is "I'm sorry". A few of the major issues the author was wrongly attributing to the Reverb were actually issues with the Rift. Not saying that you made a bad choice, but the review you linked was very poorly written and made me start to doubt the reviewer actually had either headset to test. You should be good with the Rift though. They make a good product, and I love my CV1. For my purposes, the resolution specs on the Rift S just didn't justify buying another HMD. It wasn't enough of an improvement for me.

I just think the rift is proven, My rift really isn't that bad in DCS. so any improvement is a bonus,

So Rift S on preorder, If its really bad I can send it back, I think its between this and the reflex, but £919.00 is a little bit to rich for me !

I am liking the camera Tracking as well, as I play other games and it will suit my space.

Guess we won't know until 21st May

So Rift S on preorder, If its really bad I can send it back,

That's my thought on the Reverb that I pre-ordered from Amazon. In the end, the only review that's going to matter is my personal experience. If its terrible, I'll return it and get my money back. :)

Well i jest went ahead and didnt take my own advice. Im on the hook for a reverb...

lol that review is the top trending one on google for either headset...

I dont think the review is garbage, but once you get one thing wrong...but I bet thats been hashed out to death already.

...mind you, people seem to get the names of various sets wrong quite often, even on this forum!

Interesting that you guys have pre-ordered reverbs. Anyone know if it is available in the UK or not? I cant seem to find where it is being sold/reserved.

Not going for it at this time, just interested. If its not going to be sold here, I can stop stressing about the decision.

No idea on uk. There are several services that will buy US goods for you and ship them to you though.

lol that review is the top trending one on google for either headset...

I dont think the review is garbage, but once you get one thing wrong...but I bet thats been hashed out to death already.

...mind you, people seem to get the names of various sets wrong quite often, even on this forum!

Interesting that you guys have pre-ordered reverbs. Anyone know if it is available in the UK or not? I cant seem to find where it is being sold/reserved.

Not going for it at this time, just interested. If its not going to be sold here, I can stop stressing about the decision.

The Reverb Pro has been put up on the HP UK website. It is not yet available though. This time last week it was not even on the site, so things are moving, albeit slowly.

Reverb is the one for me, although I am at this moment, in no particular rush. When I get my GPU back this may change.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.