Question about Steam - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Brumcar123

Unhappy Question about Steam

Wags said in his most recent update (2nd August 2013):

"We do not believe it is possible to move DCS products purchased outside of Steam into Steam."

But Squad (the creators of Kerbal Space Program) managed to do this, and I am certainly not willing to pay just to get steam integration.

Also if they are going to be two different products then how do they expect the multiplayer to work? People that buy the game from Steam will not be able to play on the dedicated servers for the standalone version unless they make a new server just just so that people with Steam can play, and they still can not play with the standalone users.

Unless we can all move to Steam for FREE then I (personally) think that it is a not very well thought out plan.
Brumcar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Grimes
ED Testers Team

Multiplayer works, its still the same game version, its just a difference of how you buy the game and the DRM the game has.
Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
NineLine
Community Manager

As far as Multiplayer goes, the two are compatible, both ways. That shouldnt be an issue. Steam and Normal users will be able to play together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumcar123 View Post

"We do not believe it is possible to move DCS products purchased outside of Steam into Steam."

But Squad (the creators of Kerbal Space Program) managed to do this, and I am certainly not willing to pay just to get steam integration.

Also if they are going to be two different products then how do they expect the multiplayer to work? People that buy the game from Steam will not be able to play on the dedicated servers for the standalone version unless they make a new server just just so that people with Steam can play, and they still can not play with the standalone users.

Unless we can all move to Steam for FREE then I (personally) think that it is a not very well thought out plan.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
kk0425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumcar123 View Post

Squad did it a different way. Once you requested a transfer from a standalone to steam, they deleted the game from your store page and gave it to you in steam. You essentially traded to get this to work.

Edit: Also I prefer it outside of steam. I tried adding DCS World as a non steam game before and my frame rates dropped by about 10. I don't see the reason to add it back just so my steam friends can see me playing it at that cost.
kk0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Fabrix7777

Wait, what? I also transferred kerbal, Pcars, and i will do the same with project zomboid. What's the exact reason i won't be able to transfer dcs world, a10c, and fc3 on steam?
Fabrix7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
NineLine
Community Manager

I've been told by Wags now that they are investigating being able to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrix7777 View Post
Wait, what? I also transferred kerbal, Pcars, and i will do the same with project zomboid. What's the exact reason i won't be able to transfer dcs world, a10c, and fc3 on steam?
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
MrJoel

I originally bought DCS A-10c though Steam last year. and moved to DCS World. Since I have since purchased all of the DCS modules I would not like to buy them again just to have them run through steam with the rest of my games.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Brumcar123

Cool

Thanks for the replies, i heard that multiplayer will not be compatible, but it is so all is good I just hope there aren't loads of free flight servers full of people messing around in the SU-25T.
Brumcar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
blkspade

How is this confusing for ED? Every game (in my experience) that is available on steam accepts the product key from the retail (non-steam) copy. I've later added my older games that showed up on steam as to not have to worry about loosing the booklet with the on it as I've done in the past.

Tags
issues, problems, steam