Why not integrate SRS instead of your in-house VOIP?

GunSlingerAUS

As the title asks, why doesn't ED work with the creator of SRS to integrate this piece of software into DCS? Here's why I think it makes perfect sense to do so:

1.) SRS has years of development and refinement behind it, and is widely recognised as being basically perfect for DCS. ED can't hope to match the quality and features of SRS without several years of effort.

2.) Due to the fact that SRS is so good, nobody is using the extremely limited VOIP feature that ED has recently deployed. The community will not migrate to an inferior solution.

3.) The creator has expressed that he'd love for SRS to be integrated into DCS.

So then, why is ED trying to reinvent the wheel when there's a brilliant solution already available, and which the creator of has expressed willingness to include within DCS?

I'm sure the community would love to hear what ED's thoughts are on this matter.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Have you ever tried to support code written by other people?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

So then, why is ED trying to reinvent the wheel when there's a brilliant solution already available, and which the creator of has expressed willingness to include within DCS?

I am sure most folks would prefer ED's own integrated solution over some external, third party mod... Since ED already laid out the development plan, it will be greatly enhanced down the line from its initial start.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Umm, most major pieces of software development leverage multiple external tools, plug-ins and code. I've worked on several in the past, and this was standard practice...

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Btw, it's very sad to see this suggestion got moved to an obscure part of the forum where it won't be noticed. Oh well, hopefully Dice will consider what the community desires.

As the title asks, why doesn't ED work with the creator of SRS to integrate this piece of software into DCS? Here's why I think it makes perfect sense to do so:

1.) SRS has years of development and refinement behind it, and is widely recognised as being basically perfect for DCS. ED can't hope to match the quality and features of SRS without several years of effort.

2.) Due to the fact that SRS is so good, nobody is using the extremely limited VOIP feature that ED has recently deployed. The community will not migrate to an inferior solution.

3.) The creator has expressed that he'd love for SRS to be integrated into DCS.

I'm sure the community would love to hear what ED's thoughts are on this matter.

1. Yes, True the SRS Mod is more developed.

2. No, There are plenty of servers and users that use the integrated VOIP, As A lot of users do NOT want to install 3rd Party Mods.

3. It's not as simple as "Here's my Mod Code, You can have it" if that were the case, we'd still have support for the Hawk.

Dedicated VOIP was one of the most requested features behind Dynamic Campaign.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Its a 3rd party tool that works using 3rd party options and 3rd party connectivity. By building a new integrated system, you will improve performance.

You can't just copy and paste the code. RIght now it runs as an external client, thats how all of the code is written. Having a built in client will require a lot of different coding. ANd most of us that use SRS would much prefer to use an integrated option.

As a server owner, I -HATE- having to update the SRS server client at random times because of when he decided to drop a patch. If its integrated in the game, its always patched when my game is also patched. Its one less thing I need to separately patch and manage.

Even the maker of SRS himself has said he prefers the idea of ED making their own VOIP system. So if the maker thinks its the better option, than its likely the better option.

I really enjoy when ''professionals'' come out of the woodwork to tell us how it is. Even better when they want something that is obviously ridiculous.

This highlights an often overlooked fact: whether it's cooks, truck mechanics, pilots, plumbers, businessmen, or coders, being a ''professional'' doesn't mean you're any good at it, it just means you get a paycheck for doing it. I've known lots of ''professionals'' that didn't know what they were doing.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

How many years before ED has a fully-capable equivalent of SRS ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

.........cut...........

whether it's cooks, truck mechanics, pilots, plumbers, businessmen, or coders, being a ''professional'' doesn't mean you're any good at it, it just means you get a paycheck for doing it. I've known lots of ''professionals'' that didn't know what they were doing.

:music_whistling::thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You guys are obviously highly experienced in complex software development, so I look forward to the day your beliefs come true, and ED rolls out a VOIP solution that is equal to or better than SRS. Heck, why waste time liaising with the creator of an already perfect solution that would be relatively easy to integrate into the base game, when you can do all the hard work yourself, using your ample resources! Hopefully the multithreaded optimisation that has been promised for at least five years comes into fruition by then too.

• ED Team

Hi

SRS is a great tool but we wanted to develop an in house solution, it will give us more control over its integration into DCSWorld.

We will be rolling out new features for VOIP gradually, so thank you for your feedback it helps the team.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Getting so tired of people asking this question.

Nobody uses SRS. Literally nobody. The only places you can find people using SRS is on Hoggit, Blue Flag, or private squadron servers. Even then, on public servers squadrons use their own frequency instead of COMMON or just use Discord/Teamspeak.

They legally can't "just integrate SRS".

Working with other peoples code is a PITA.

Get over the fact ED is making their own native VoIP system. When it is fully functional you will say to yourself "I understand now. I'm glad they did it".

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

An integrated system may take longer to develop, but it is far superior to add ons. Let's leave ED to sort it out - I think they have some experience in coding!

Absolute correct! :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

You guys are obviously highly experienced in complex software development, so I look forward to the day your beliefs come true, and ED rolls out a VOIP solution that is equal to or better than SRS. Heck, why waste time liaising with the creator of an already perfect solution that would be relatively easy to integrate into the base game, when you can do all the hard work yourself, using your ample resources! Hopefully the multithreaded optimisation that has been promised for at least five years comes into fruition by then too.

And what keeps you from using SRS until EDs solution has achieved feature parity? What would you want ED to improve about SRS? Are you aware that some things are simply not possible for ED using an external plugin?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

:doh::doh::doh:

Disagree?

I spent 2 hours on Blue on Growling sidewinder last night with radio tuned to 225.000 AM (Blue Common). About 20 players on Blue side. I tried twice to see if anyone was on frequency. Not even crickets could be heard. Nobody uses it.

Edited by Tailhook

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Disagree?

I spent 2 hours on Blue on Growling sidewinder last night with radio tuned to 225.000 AM (Blue Common). About 20 players on Blue side. I tried twice to see if anyone was on frequency. Not even crickets could be heard. Nobody uses it.

It’s obvious YOU don’t use or like it. On the GS server it isn’t used, I am sure folks tend to gravitate towards the comms platform he uses for steaming. At probably won’t change unless the ED version supports streamer platforms natively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk