Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #21
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjugen View Post
Reverb user here, you made a mistake.
I would not go that far.
Enjoying the heck out of my Rift S and use it pretty much daily.
It ain't all that bad.

On the other hand I see so many posts scattered over forums of folks tweaking/working with Reverb.
Not saying that is a bad thing, but Rift S is very user friendly with great software behind it.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #22
swimbody

I bought mine today at lunch. Looking forward to pouring a tall glass of red vino and trying it out with my slowly failing 47 year old eyes. I'm so tired of not being able to see the small numbers I'm really getting anxious to check it out. Did you have an original Rift? I will be packing my old one up to sell at Christmas for $175 since I'm not a smoker and have used those little blue eye condoms the whole time I've owned it.
swimbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #23
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbody View Post
I bought mine today at lunch. Looking forward to pouring a tall glass of red vino and trying it out with my slowly failing 47 year old eyes. I'm so tired of not being able to see the small numbers I'm really getting anxious to check it out. Did you have an original Rift? I will be packing my old one up to sell at Christmas for $175 since I'm not a smoker and have used those little blue eye condoms the whole time I've owned it.
Yes I ran a CV1 for over 2 years previous to the Rift S.
I could not go back to cv1 now.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
Old 12-04-2019, 01:14 AM   #24
nessuno0505

I like people saying reverb Is better and having a 2080ti and a core i9 cpu in their signature. Do you like easy win? With a Rift s, despite the (obvious - it's written in the specs) lower resolution, you can enjoy a great vr experience without selling a kidney for a new ultra-enthusiast gaming machine. And that's a great plus for the Rift s.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:59 AM   #25
Zoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLON View Post
...and I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake. Hearing about all the problems with the Reverb was a big turn off.
The updated Reverb has been flawless for me since I got it a few months back. Easy of use is up there with my old CV1. For flight/race sims it`s in a league of its own, but you need a decent gpu. I have the 2080 with a oc`ed 4790k. I may build a new AMD system next year, but I remain unconvinced that DCS could exploit better cpu`s.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #26
CYLON

I received the Rift S yesterday and spent about 8 hours testing it.

WAAAAY bigger improvement than what I was expecting. Quite crisp image for VR. No going back to the CV1 which I still have.

I can read just about everything in the F-16 cockpit and see the HUD clearly, which I couldn't before. (This is with 1.8 supersampling in DCS.)

The other World War 2 flight sim looks pretty great also. I was able to crank that up to 250% super sampling in STEAM VR and still get constant mid 30's to 40s FPS average. Never dipped to under 32fps.

It's pretty nice to free up two USB ports and not have to deal with base-stations as well. The display port to display port adapter that comes with it makes a hell of a lot more sense than having to have two HDMI ports like with the CV1.

The only downside I experienced is that I liked the built in headphones that came with the CV1. I have Corsair Void Pro headphones and it feels weird having two sets of things on top of your head. Plus, the Void is a bit bulky and ungainly to fit with the Rift S. It works and fits, it's just - not perfect I should say.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #27
dburne
Veteran

Quote:

WAAAAY bigger improvement than what I was expecting. Quite crisp image for VR. No going back to the CV1 which I still have.

I can read just about everything in the F-16 cockpit and see the HUD clearly, which I couldn't before. (This is with 1.8 supersampling in DCS.)

The other World War 2 flight sim looks pretty great also. I was able to crank that up to 250% super sampling in STEAM VR and still get constant mid 30's to 40s FPS average. Never dipped to under 32fps.

It's pretty nice to free up two USB ports and not have to deal with base-stations as well. The display port to display port adapter that comes with it makes a hell of a lot more sense than having to have two HDMI ports like with the CV1.

The only downside I experienced is that I liked the built in headphones that came with the CV1. I have Corsair Void Pro headphones and it feels weird having two sets of things on top of your head. Plus, the Void is a bit bulky and ungainly to fit with the Rift S. It works and fits, it's just - not perfect I should say.
That has been my experience with Rift S also.
I use earbuds with mine plugged into Rift S headphone jack, sound is great.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #28
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:

Glad you are happy with it.

And I'm working through my nightmare of dealing with HP trying to replace my now pretty much entirely dead Reverb... The swine just told me sorry, it was supposed to be this friday, but is now end of January for a replacement. Needless to say I've escalated the case but I'm not real hopeful.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #29
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Glad you are happy with it.

And I'm working through my nightmare of dealing with HP trying to replace my now pretty much entirely dead Reverb... The swine just told me sorry, it was supposed to be this friday, but is now end of January for a replacement. Needless to say I've escalated the case but I'm not real hopeful.
I believe I would be going with a different headset.
I see too many similar stories. Unbelievable they would not have warranty units available to replace right away.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #30
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post
I believe I would be going with a different headset.
I see too many similar stories. Unbelievable they would not have warranty units available to replace right away.
Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from the "customer care" division. They obviously have them in stock to ship to "new" customers. But when I pointed that out to their warranty dept they just kinda hemmed and hawed. I've debated getting a backup reverb or rift or going with a vive pro but given the season its awful hard to justify a second headset if the other one will be replaced.