Just bought a Rift S over an HP Reverb - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #31
Gman109

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
Love my Reverb - what problems did you read about?

(also, the biggest problem with Oculus is that it's owned by faceyuck).

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. The initial Reverbs had so many issues that they pulled their launch after getting so many failed unit complaints, and went "comms dark" for weeks afterwards, suspending all sales, until they could get some of their stock "fixed".

I was an early adopter of the Reverb like a few others here. Like many, I had issues within days, the cable issue, screens going black issue, etc. Just read these forums alone, and you'll get the phone book of people having major issues, more with the "first gen/issued units", but even with the supposedly "fixed/new serial numbered units", there have been huge problems. I'm on Reverb number 3, and HP's warranty/customer service is in India mostly and has been a major PITA to deal with from my perspective.

So, to answer your question to the OP, I'm sure he read hundreds of posts here about Reverb issues, and if he went on Reddit or other places, thousands more. You're fortunate because you haven't had any issues, yet, but I'll be waiting for your posts when your cable fails.

I've owned every VR unit save the Xtal pretty much, and several of each as I have 4 gamers in my home a lot of the time. The 2 Index and 3 Rift S we're running have had no problems with hardware failures. The 3 Reverbs, 2 have had major problems, and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop on the 3rd one I'm using now.

Yes, we all know that the Reverb has superior resolution than all the other VR headsets right now, which is why I keep replacing ones that fail with a new one for my DCS gaming station. That said I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for buying the more reliable Rift S, which not only had that better reliability, but the operating environment is light years superior to having to work in Windows Mixed Reality. Ask any developer as well about working with the Occulus drivers compared to WMR/etc. Mucho el superioro.

I do agree that Face$$$k sucks, and that it's a shame they own Occulus now. It'd be great if the founder of Id software John Carmack was the sole owner and could take Occulus down a path all on his own...

Primay DCS Systems (3): i9 9900k@5.0/2 2080tiNVlink/970Pro SSD/Asus PG27uq 4k@144hz/AlienWare 34" 2k@120hz/T50 Mon"geese"(2), 2 Virpil Wrbrd/CM2/Deltas, VKB GF2Revb(2)Tm Warthog(many)VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Pedals/Virpil Throttle/CH Fighterstick/Throttle/peds

VR-Rift S x2, Odyssey+, Reverb

Last edited by Gman109; 12-04-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Gman109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #32
Harlikwin
Veteran

So Gman,

Being in the failed reverb boat now (worked great for 3 months), any pro-tips on dealing with their CS? I just had my complaint escalated to their "Customer Care" division after they told me it would 2 MONTHS wait to get it replaced (after a 2 week wait already). They didn't like my proposed solution of you just send me a new one from your stock that you are selling for the holidays.

And since you've used em both, which is the best runner up to the Reverb, Index or RiftS? My current backup is my old CV1 but its pretty terrible going back to it.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:53 PM   #33
Gman109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
So Gman,

Being in the failed reverb boat now (worked great for 3 months), any pro-tips on dealing with their CS? I just had my complaint escalated to their "Customer Care" division after they told me it would 2 MONTHS wait to get it replaced (after a 2 week wait already). They didn't like my proposed solution of you just send me a new one from your stock that you are selling for the holidays.

And since you've used em both, which is the best runner up to the Reverb, Index or RiftS? My current backup is my old CV1 but its pretty terrible going back to it.

I wish I had some good advice to give you about HP customer service. I'm in Canada and eventually got a hold of someone IN Canada, but she wasn't able to help expedite matters much, although she gave me her direct line at least.

Just for interest sake, would you mind telling me if you Reverb that failed had a 932 or 931 serial number?

I feel your pain, I had to threaten to do a charge back with my credit card company with HP QA in order to move things along with replacement number 2, as they just couldn't believe it failed so quickly after the 931 serial number unit I had first. I waited about as long as you're going to (end of January now from your posts) to get the replacement for the replacement (3rd Reverb).

So far as calling a winner for a number 2 unit when Reverbs aren't available, it's a tough call. The Index IMO is better than the Rift S, but it also costs much less, $250 less if you get just the Index headset with no controllers/lighthouses, and about $800 less if you get the full Index package (full Index on Steam is nearly $1450 CAD after tax/shipping, while you can get a Rift S for 450$ recently on sale here including free shipping and 30 day no question returns). For those who can't afford the Index, the Rift S isn't a bad option at all, but if $ isn't an option, I absolutely would grab and Index first. The Index is by far the best quality built headset I've tried so far. If it had just a bit better Resolution, it'd be my pick over the Reverb even if I didn't have any "Reverb issues".

Primay DCS Systems (3): i9 9900k@5.0/2 2080tiNVlink/970Pro SSD/Asus PG27uq 4k@144hz/AlienWare 34" 2k@120hz/T50 Mon"geese"(2), 2 Virpil Wrbrd/CM2/Deltas, VKB GF2Revb(2)Tm Warthog(many)VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Pedals/Virpil Throttle/CH Fighterstick/Throttle/peds

VR-Rift S x2, Odyssey+, Reverb
Gman109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #34
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman109 View Post
I wish I had some good advice to give you about HP customer service. I'm in Canada and eventually got a hold of someone IN Canada, but she wasn't able to help expedite matters much, although she gave me her direct line at least.

Just for interest sake, would you mind telling me if you Reverb that failed had a 932 or 931 serial number?

I feel your pain, I had to threaten to do a charge back with my credit card company with HP QA in order to move things along with replacement number 2, as they just couldn't believe it failed so quickly after the 931 serial number unit I had first. I waited about as long as you're going to (end of January now from your posts) to get the replacement for the replacement (3rd Reverb).

So far as calling a winner for a number 2 unit when Reverbs aren't available, it's a tough call. The Index IMO is better than the Rift S, but it also costs much less, $250 less if you get just the Index headset with no controllers/lighthouses, and about $800 less if you get the full Index package (full Index on Steam is nearly $1450 CAD after tax/shipping, while you can get a Rift S for 450$ recently on sale here including free shipping and 30 day no question returns). For those who can't afford the Index, the Rift S isn't a bad option at all, but if $ isn't an option, I absolutely would grab and Index first. The Index is by far the best quality built headset I've tried so far. If it had just a bit better Resolution, it'd be my pick over the Reverb even if I didn't have any "Reverb issues".
Yeah the Customer care person just called me (after I politely demanded it be elevated), so I'm hoping this will improve performance. I'm gonna write a guide for folks in the US dealing with HP at the end of it.

On other headsets, with the LCD panel ones is the "color depth" better on any of them?