Getting started with 3D printing - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
obious

Default Getting started with 3D printing

Hi All,

Long story short, I've just purchased an Anycubic Chiron (Should be here within the week) and am looking for some advice in how to get the best out of it.

For my first couple of prints, I'm looking to build a switch housing for the Hornet's right side consoles (ECS, INTR LT etc); planning on using PCFlights panels. Since I'm not planning on printing anything fancy just yet, I'd like to know how to get the best quality prints possible given everything being printed is either a right angle or a straight line.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Asus Rampage IV Extreme - Intel 3930K @ 4.6Ghz - Zotac GTX 1080TI - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz 16GB RAM - Samsung 860 Evo SSD - Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - HP Reverb
obious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
Tundra

Know your slicer and different settings and how they affect quality. Also Keep an eye on 3d cad software because sinewy or layer you will begin to modify stl files or create your own ones
i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | 250 Gb 970 EVO SSD | GTX 1080 | Virpil MongooseT-50 base w/ Warthog stick | Warthog throttle | Virpil desk mount | Saitek rudder pedals | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | TM MFDs | Realteus ForceFeel | Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel
FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - NTTR - PG
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
RustBelt

Be sure to level your bed properly/calibrate your axis. Setup is one of the biggest factors of print success. Also know that no two materials print the same. PLA likes cooling ABS HATES it.

Don’t be afraid to post process. Some sanding, filling primer, and paint really does wonders for final results. Also for mechanical parts, you’ll get the best results following up with drill, grinding, fitting. Think of your print as being a 90% finished part.
RustBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:01 AM   #4
BlacleyCole

Post images along with your Syl files so someone behind you doesn’t have to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Iirc about a year ago there was a thread for users to post files that they had printed to to share the Syl and or cad files.

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better
BlacleyCole is offline   Reply With Quote