Dcs ai behavour and sound issue

GulfWarFighter

Hello..

I bought the a10a and f15 and nttr(steam version)

To see if i like dcs or not

Well i got mixed feelings

Because it advert with most real fighter sim out there.

When i let Ai a10a fly they follow too much the terrain contours in the mountains its most visible they get a unnatural flight path and 9 times out of 10 they crash in to the mountains (every time all most at the top of the mountains)

And after they hit there targets the a10a was banked in a lefthand turn but it slew straight forwards.

I let the bf109 dogfight in a guns only it beats the mig 15 mig 19 and even the tomcat..(both on excellent)

Also my sound disapears when the kts is above 500, all of the aircraft that can past the 500 kts in the outside view/flyby view the sound returns only when i select the chase view.

1 more thing why are the a10a strobe light so bright that you can see the reflection in the sand during daytime and the reflections are shaped as some ugly white triangles.

Are those things fixable with some tweaks on my side( i know about online mismatch just saving originals for online play)

Edited by GulfWarFighter

Hello..

I bought the a10a and f15 and nttr(steam version)

To see if i like dcs or not

I suppose this doesn't help you, but might help anyone reading this in the future, you can try DCS for free. You only need to buy payed modules and terrains. The Black Sea, TF-51D, and Su-25T are free and intended to let you try DCS without spending money.

When i let Ai a10a fly they follow too much the terrain contours in the mountains its most visible they get a unnatural flight path and 9 times out of 10 they crash in to the mountains (every time all most at the top of the mountains)

Is this a mission that you've made? Do you intend for the A-10's to hug the ground? There have been issues with AI following the terrain in the past, but I'm not exactly sure what the state of it is now. You can place aircraft too low to recover in the mission editor and also give them really low waypoint speeds which will make their low altitude flying very bad. Perhaps check their initial heights and give them more speed.

And after they hit there targets the a10a was banked in a lefthand turn but it slew straight forwards.

I haven't really experienced this.

I let the bf109 dogfight in a guns only it beats the mig 15 mig 19 and even the tomcat..(both on excellent)

The issue here is that the AI treats every enemy the same. The Bf-109 should out turn all of those fighters if they try to get into a slow turning fight. The AI isn't smart enough to use vertical tactics like boom and zoom. That said there is an AI overhaul planned. No date given yet.

Also my sound disapears when the kts is above 500, all of the aircraft that can past the 500 kts in the outside view/flyby view the sound returns only when i select the chase view.

If you fly faster than the speed of sound, you won't hear your aircraft from the front.

1 more thing why are the a10a strobe light so bright that you can see the reflection in the sand during daytime and the reflections are shaped as some ugly white triangles.

I'm not sure about what is going on here does your PC meet minimum specs?

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

He does make a few valid points that I am sure ED are aware of. The AI are very robotic and fly far too accurately to be realistic. And I have definitely seen AI aircraft that are skidding rather than coordinated turns.

I've never been able to brake on the runway after landing like an AI aircraft does, even with air-brake out, max braking pressure and full aft deflection of the stabilisers.

Is it somewhere that AI are being improved?

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

I am going to film it what i mean about in slew modus..after bombing run

And yes my pc can handle dcs with 60 fps non stop, not on ultra but i am not a graphics gamer or a movie maker.. just somebody that loves to fly in real life but also in simulation. My first flight sim was back in 1996 so i am used to not having the best graphics in the world so that why i am probably happy with graphics less then ultra

And no it was not on a mission i made it was a mission that dcs liberation campaign made.

Edited by GulfWarFighter

that is correct, thats due to speed of sound. if you are hypersonic you cant hear the aircraft from the front.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

He does make a few valid points that I am sure ED are aware of. The AI are very robotic and fly far too accurately to be realistic. And I have definitely seen AI aircraft that are skidding rather than coordinated turns.

I've never been able to brake on the runway after landing like an AI aircraft does, even with air-brake out, max braking pressure and full aft deflection of the stabilisers.

Is it somewhere that AI are being improved?

I try to make a short vid to show what i mean

https://youtu.be/nFKfG3uOXt8

Edited by GulfWarFighter

Yes and no when you are close to the plane you must hear engine sound

https://youtu.be/vUEFwPEc2CE

OK, no issue here. That's due to the shockwave, no sound ahead of it. DCS if I recall actually models the changing angle of the shock cone so as you go faster, you need to pull the camera back more and more to hear sound.

I try to make a short vid to show what i mean

https://youtu.be/nFKfG3uOXt8

OK, so here the visual damage model doesn't directly correlate to the damage of an aircraft. The F-15 might look like it's completely destroyed when it only took a grazing hit. This is known and is planned to be fixed in the future (no date yet)

The AI porpoising at low level is an old issue. It looks silly but doesn't necessarily cause problems. AI is being looked at so this might be fixed when that happens.

Short AI braking distance is because they use a simpler physics model. I believe this is eventually going to be looked into with respect to combat performance. I don't know if "non essential" things like landing distance will be updated.

DCS has some quirks, depending on what you want to do with it they may be more or less visible, but experienced users here can help you get around issues you might have.

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

OK, no issue here. That's due to the shockwave, no sound ahead of it. DCS if I recall actually models the changing angle of the shock cone so as you go faster, you need to pull the camera back more and more to hear sound.

Sorry to say but your missing the point.

Yes at a distance you hear nothing (flyby view) correct

But only when your at a distance and in front..

But like in the clip when your close by and at the side like in the clip you must hear the engine noize. And other mechanical noise but in dcs the noise disapears.. not need to defend it like you do.. its not correct.

When you put a go pro on the wing or something and the plane is doing mach 1 or higher you still would hear the engine air sucking noise from the blades.. and rushing air above and below the wings etc.. but they all disapears when doing 500 kts or high and thats not correct.

Now it is above 500 kts dead silence..

It is expected to be dead silent in the front of a supersonic aircraft. Think of it this way... the sound from the object is not fast enough to reach you, even if you are like 1 cm away! Sounds is limited to Mach 1, while you and the aircraft are both moving at Mach 1+. The GoPro cameras are attached to the body of the aircraft and probably getting sound traveling through the body of the aircraft.

You don't get whoosh or wind sounds because the camera isn't a real object in the sim... it's just a virtual camera and does not affect the air or the environment in any way.

Also, do note that [air] speeds can be "indicated" or "true". The true speed is what your speed is... your indicated speed is what your instruments tell you, and can be affected by altitude, air pressure, wind speed & direction etc.

airbos_f7_p5.jpg

The camera is essentially ahead of the shockwave. There is no sound there. Notice that the shockfront isn't flat and you can find silence while being beside the plane.

DCS isn't going to be as accurate as CFD software in calculating the geometry, but it gets the basics correct. The sound issue isn't a bug, it's intentional.

I've been once chased down by AI A-10C ... they way the AI flown the plane didn't look like it was a real A-10C because AIs don't use full simulation of the aircraft in the first place. That is planned to be improved yes.

But it's also resource issue, making AI's fully simulated would bring down most computers very quickly.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Sorry to say but your missing the point.

Yes at a distance you hear nothing (flyby view) correct

But only when your at a distance and in front..

But like in the clip when your close by and at the side like in the clip you must hear the engine noize. And other mechanical noise but in dcs the noise disapears.. not need to defend it like you do.. its not correct.

When you put a go pro on the wing or something and the plane is doing mach 1 or higher you still would hear the engine air sucking noise from the blades.. and rushing air above and below the wings etc.. but they all disapears when doing 500 kts or high and thats not correct.

Now it is above 500 kts dead silence..

If you are new to DCS I'll give you a piece of advice. There are many people on this forum who are current or former military pilots who have a better understanding than most about various aircraft and physics issues. If you want to argue about the speed of sound and what you'd hear it's best to try and find a source first. I've made myself look silly a time or 2 with things that seemed t common sense or things that I'd heard people talk about, that were nowhere close to true

As to your other issues, over the last several years there have been many improvements to many things, but AI isn't really one of them (only some minor improvements). The game seems to be advancing in the multi-player environment but things that don't affect that sometimes get left behind.

Like others have said there are improvements planned to AI but it's really about what resources are available. AI are intentionally simplified both in physics and in actions to be less demanding on our computers as the core program seems to take a lot of CPU time just by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 2400, Vega64 @1080p