Free Map

Ercoupe

I see that the newest updates mentions they will now proceed with work on the "free map."

Naturally, like everyone else, I can't help wondering what that will be.

I also saw that work is continuing on the F4U Corsair. A very exciting airplane. Screenshots look good.

Could it be, I wonder, that there will be a Pacific island map for use with the F4U?

I can see that. If the map is going to be free, I dont see it being filled with towns and cities. That's too much work to expect them to give us that sort of thing for free. And it wouldn't be something that will take years to complete. Again, too much time and money invested with no monetary return. A small island. Beaches, trees, some hills. A couple of jungle airstrips. I can imagine them knocking something like that out comparitively quickly.

A possibility you think?

As Silver Dragon said, Leatherneck/M3 had plans for a Iwo Jima map. It is unkown if they still have such plans, but there were some signs lately that this is still the case. They even have registered the map for a Steam release: https://steamdb.info/app/411941/

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I wonder if it could be a Korean Peninsula map? The F-86 and MiG-15 would have a proper Korean War setting, the F4U-1D might fit in here as well?

And the upcoming F-16C is appropriate for this theater too.

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is that what he said? Well, now, that's interesting. Damn, Hawaii would be fantastic. But a bit ambitious for a free map, no? I was figuring something along the lines of a simpler area to model. Now you really have me thinking.

Hawaii would be fantastic...depending on the years modeled, it would have AFB, NAS, and MCAS on one map, and of course plenty of sea area for carriers. If they want, they could also extend the area to include Midway as that is mostly just open ocean.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Is that what he said? Well, now, that's interesting. Damn, Hawaii would be fantastic. But a bit ambitious for a free map, no? I was figuring something along the lines of a simpler area to model. Now you really have me thinking.

Hawaii-Map-8-Major-Islands.jpg

I could be wrong(usually am:)) but I would think The Hawaiian Islands would be easier to do then Nevada or Persian Gulf? The Land mass of the Islands themselves is comparatively small with 80% of the map being Beautiful Ocean for Carrier Ops in 1941 with a F4U or 2019 in a Hornet?:)

I Know :) Wishful Thinking :)

Patrick

mini.gif

I wonder if it could be a Korean Peninsula map? The F-86 and MiG-15 would have a proper Korean War setting, the F4U-1D might fit in here as well?

And the upcoming F-16C is appropriate for this theater too.

The Corsair (If they make the 1D) was a WW2 variant, not the latest Korean War versions.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

The Corsair (If they make the 1D) was a WW2 variant, not the latest Korean War versions.
It is the 1D

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Red Flag Alaska...

• Like 1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Red Flag Alaska...

Yep, we've got some Red Flag activity up here.

Anything that will get me flying over my house in the real world, I'll back that lol

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

My guess is the Mach Loop - Wales...

It has been mentioned as in development earlier - and don't you think that Wags would love to try a run in the Mach Loop IRL?

Some F-15C's doing the "loop":

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JultKcPcKjk?start=87

And that would fit as a small free map, getting Fulda gap or Korea for free would be nice though ;) I'm happy as long as it's sand free...

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

imho a map should be of an historic air combat area.

1. Pacific islands (1/3rd relatively close islands/atolls; 2/3rds being open ocean...definitely gotta include Iwo Jima, but there are many intense air battles throughout the Pacific Theater)

2. Mediterranean, from southern/mid-France to Jordan and nearby countries (such as Israel) and then back west across northern Africa (100 miles into the Sahara)

3. Germany and Switzerland as a southern edge, north to Norway/Sweden/Finland (Iceland? Many potential Cold War scenarios)

I’d pay money for any/all of these. :)

imho a map should be of an historic air combat area.

1. Pacific islands (1/3rd relatively close islands/atolls; 2/3rds being open ocean...definitely gotta include Iwo Jima, but there are many intense air battles throughout the Pacific Theater)

2. Mediterranean, from southern/mid-France to Jordan and nearby countries (such as Israel) and then back west across northern Africa (100 miles into the Sahara)

3. Germany and Switzerland as a southern edge, north to Norway/Sweden/Finland (Iceland? Many potential Cold War scenarios)

I’d pay money for any/all of these. :)

As we are talking free maps here, number 2 and 3 are huge by DCS standards... Much bigger than any other map. But I would pay huge money for number 3 :)

A more realistic nothern Europe map that is a bit bigger than the upcoming Syria map (but more water) would be this:

4MVpVcY.png

A lot of interesting 1980:ies Cold war gone hot scenarios that could be done on this map... The big Soviet naval base / air bases of Kaliningrad in one corner, and room for US carrier groups in the North Sea outside Bremen, Viggens from southern Sweden, F-16:s from Denmark, Nato planes from Germany, Migs all over the former Eastern Block countries...

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

Very nice ^^^ but would take a decade to build and model in current DCS World standards. Lots of cities with some landmarks too. Would be a really good map but even as a payware its huge undertaking.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Very nice ^^^ but would take a decade to build and model in current DCS World standards. Lots of cities with some landmarks too. Would be a really good map but even as a payware its huge undertaking.

Agreed, naturally this would be a huge undertaking and has to be payware.

In general, I think that we need to lower the demands for "uniqueness" in the form of landmarks etc that take ages to model in projects like this. Just look at Syria with all the old fortresses etc. For a civililan sim it will be important, but we really don't need Gedächtniskirche in Berlin modelled with all nooks and crannies. It will never be a target for bombing (again). Just put a big generic church tower there.

Sure - some of the famous airports would be nice to have but for the others, just use "Generic Nato Air base - Large" etc. Doing remote air bases i Syria down to the last parking space is only interesting to the few that have actually visited them. And after the first few takeoffs it really does not matter for the game experience if it is a nicely laid out "Generic Nato Airbase - Large" you take off from. It is simply not worth it from a development time perspective...

Well - fidelity is a must I say.

Agreed, naturally this would be a huge undertaking and has to be payware.

In general, I think that we need to lower the demands for "uniqueness" in the form of landmarks etc that take ages to model in projects like this.

I beg to differ here. I think that modelling landmarks and accurate modelling should be something that DCS is known for.

But yes, these take time, resources and effort.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I agree with gierasimov. Military operations do not require the whole world so I prefer a smaller map but very detailed and full of landmarks rather than a larger more generic map. Otherwise I'd fly x-plane instead of dcs. I know this can take time to be modeled but I'm no hurry. If we want to deal with something, we could discuss the choice of modeling a 2019 Persian Gulf map with Dubai skyscrapers and Abu Dhabi F1 circuit, while we have airplane modules of mid 2000 to say the newest. The map Is wonderful and I have bought it, but maybe we need more time specific Maps, i.e. a 1950 korea, a 1970 Vietnam and a 1990 Iraq.