The Huey and other helis?

Ingolf

Hello gents!

I enjoy flying the UH-1H but find it very difficult. Have managed to do a few landings on DD-ships and other confined spaces, but have a long way to go until I feel I can do it in a controlled manner. Is it really so hard to fly? Or is it something I have calibrated badly (using X52Pro + G25 pedals)?

The KA50 is piece of cake compared to the Huey (maybe a bit to far from reality?). I can do exactly what I intend and it feels like I'm flying the chopper, not the chopper flying with me, lol.

My question is; are the Gazelle and Mi-8 modules just as hard to master as the Huey or more towards the KA50?

| i7 7700K quad@4.50Ghz | GTX 1080Ti | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | X52Pro | G25 | Rift CV1 / 2 x Acer GN246HL |

The Ka-50 flies itself, you just give it suggestions on where to go. It's meant to be that way.

The Huey actually requires the pilot to fly it, so it will be much more involved then the Ka-50.

As far as comparing it to the other modules, I also have the Mi-8 and I hate that thing. I find it impossible to land, it enters VRS so easily and just plummets out of the sky. The tail and nose wheel are also other points of failure I regularly have run ins with.

Then again I've seen plenty of people say the Mi-8 is far easier then the Huey so your mileage may vary.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

the short answer is yes she is that hard to fly :-) - but once you tame her she may become one of your most favorite modules. The fight model is freaking outstanding. I personally believe the Huey is a little bit more difficult to learn compared to the mi8. Don't get me wrong though - the mi8 us a beast as well.

I have read that the Gazelle is a bit challenging but I have no experience with her yet.

Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

flying helicopters is just like riding a bike.

it takes lots of falling off to learn but once it clicks you never forget how..

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

As a person who've flown the Huey for years, there is only one way to master that helicopter; Practice, and when you think you've mastered it, you have not, practice some more.

If you manage to stay away from VRS you should be fine, just keep a stable glideslope above 35 kts, and you'll be fine.

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)

As a person who've flown the Huey for years, there is only one way to master that helicopter; Practice, and when you think you've mastered it, you have not, practice some more.

If you manage to stay away from VRS you should be fine, just keep a stable glideslope above 35 kts, and you'll be fine.

Honestly I don't think VRS is that hard to avoid in the Huey, and most times I get into it I can get out.

It's not like the Mi-8. That thing just plummets out of the sky

flying helicopters is just like riding a bike.

it takes lots of falling off to learn but once it clicks you never forget how..

This is probably the best way to put it. It's about the basics. The Huey in particular will hammer you with those basics, but once you get it you're golden!

As far as comparing it to the other modules, I also have the Mi-8 and I hate that thing. I find it impossible to land, it enters VRS so easily and just plummets out of the sky. The tail and nose wheel are also other points of failure I regularly have run ins with.

HAHAHA!! Oh the Mi-8...Honestly I treat that thing like plane now. Keep 'er moving forward at all times and glideslope it all the way down to a nice open runway. I know it's possible to treat it like a helo.... but it's also nice to keep the tail attached to the aircraft...

As a person who've flown the Huey for years...

How do you do those fast swoop in landings you see in old Vietnam videos?! I can bring it in nice and easy all day, but when it comes to quick landings I haven't found the trick. I'm talking where you got a spot on the ground and you need to be there 5 min ago...and it's a hot zone, etc... Teach me jedi master! lol

Edited by Mad_Max2

Hello gents!

I enjoy flying the UH-1H but find it very difficult. Have managed to do a few landings on DD-ships and other confined spaces, but have a long way to go until I feel I can do it in a controlled manner. Is it really so hard to fly? Or is it something I have calibrated badly (using X52Pro + G25 pedals)?

The KA50 is piece of cake compared to the Huey (maybe a bit to far from reality?). I can do exactly what I intend and it feels like I'm flying the chopper, not the chopper flying with me, lol.

My question is; are the Gazelle and Mi-8 modules just as hard to master as the Huey or more towards the KA50?

Whilst I don't fly the KA-50 that much, the others are fairly easy to fly but I'll qualify that it takes time and practise. As for your question Yes they are, however in my experience all the helicopters build on each other.

If you haven't already down load this FAA PDF on Helicopter Flight Theory please do so.

Those controls are likely okay, I could never go back to using a joystick, also some sort of collective control will really help. VR is very good for helicopter sim flying as you gain depth perception. :thumbup:

HTH

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

How do you do those fast swoop in landings you see in old Vietnam videos?! I can bring it in nice and easy all day, but when it comes to quick landings I haven't found the trick. I'm talking where you got a spot on the ground and you need to be there 5 min ago...and it's a hot zone, etc... Teach me jedi master! lol

While straight and level at 15-50ft, lead with a significant collective drop. Use aft cyclic to maintain altitude (maintaining altitude is key), speed will bleed quickly. If rotor spools up, slightly increase collective to check it, and lower the nose to avoid ballooning.

Now the most important part: approaching 40kts indicated, increase power significantly and level the nose. Do this before you lose TL and start to sink. If you “load the blades” as we call it before losing TL, you won’t enter VRS.

You should now be about 20kts or less and at 15 or so feet, just drive forward and down, level attitude, and drive it on. On touchdown, if you have some forward speed, slowly lower collective to avoid a sudden stop and rocking. Keep the skids aligned with the direction of travel if you have any forward speed on!

I do em in real life all the time, tons of fun!

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

While straight and level at 15-50ft, lead with a significant collective drop. Use aft cyclic to maintain altitude (maintaining altitude is key), speed will bleed quickly. If rotor spools up, slightly increase collective to check it, and lower the nose to avoid ballooning.

Now the most important part: approaching 40kts indicated, increase power significantly and level the nose. Do this before you lose TL and start to sink. If you “load the blades” as we call it before losing TL, you won’t enter VRS.

You should now be about 20kts or less and at 15 or so feet, just drive forward and down, level attitude, and drive it on. On touchdown, if you have some forward speed, slowly lower collective to avoid a sudden stop and rocking. Keep the skids aligned with the direction of travel if you have any forward speed on!

I think everyone overestimates exactly how fast those landings are. They are definitely slower then one would expect.

However as long as you land straight as an arrow the Huey will let you hit the ground at a pretty good clip and be fine

you can shorten the learning curve by doing good training.

the hardest things to learn is managing the aircraft around the edges of ground effect and translational lift.

so hover practise, hover taxi, take off and landing..

us the pickup training mission. take off and land at the opposite end of the runway. on the numbers.

turn around and repeat.

us the runway for a reference for keeping the nose straight. so you ca get a feel for the speed and approach.

and then just learn the transitions. entering ground effect at 50ft and then exiting translational lift at 40mph. (its normally slower but use 40 in the huey)

its harder doing it the other way round exiting translational lift and then entering GE.

so practise that too.

you can do 50 take offs/landings an hour..

and will master it in an afternoon or two.

don't bother with missions. you don't need 40 minutes of straight flight between landings when you are learning.

you need to just take off and land as many times as you can in an hour..

also hover and hover taxi.. nothing teaches you the translational lift boundary like racing round the taxi ways.. so mix in some taxiing to the other end of the runway for when you get bored.

you need to learn the sounds that the rotors make as you play around the edges of translational lift.

this way you will quickly see improvement in your flying.. so the learning curve will not look so steep. you will find it less discouraging. because every time you land you will be closer to the numbers. until you hit them every time.

and then you will breeze through the UN campaign.

off topic but I wish we had Loss of tail rotor effectiveness to worry about as well..

mIW7JZbGf0Y[/Youtube]

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

When I really need to bleed speed I also like to throw her into a skidding turn with a lot of rudder input. Works a treat on the Mi-8 too, but you have to be careful what you wish for.

Not a great idea in real life, this puts extreme stress on the tailboom and can lead to LTE and a while host of other dangerous conditions!

Not to mention your door gunner will kick your ass for giving him 100kts of wind in the face :bash:

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! Obviously a lot of practice involved, but at least I'm not pulling the method out of my arse now lol!

I got a lot from this video:

At 0:14 as he approaches the road he is flaring fairly high and further back from the landing spot. He holds that flare until almost touchdown. After years of RL and Sim flying of fixed wing I learned to flare close to the runway to avoid a flare too high and dropping in, or worse stalling and spinning in. I started trying this approach of setting up the flare earlier and holding it and it improved my landings. It also let me concentrate on the other two controls. But, your mileage may vary.

Brilliant guys we've gone from a basic helicopter flight question to hot rodding your ride. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Wow guys! Heaps of thanks for all the great input to my basic question(s)!

I like what I hear. I simply just need more practice with the Huey and that suits me perfectly fine. I've come a long way with just a few sessions with set (personal) goals. Like taxing and takeoff, puting her down in more and more confined spaces (or intended spots). I am convinced there are no trouble with my input gear since what you all describe agrees with my experience of the sim.

I will check out your video-tips and links to boost my learning. As for the Mi-8 and Gazelle, I might get them after many more hours in the Huey. Will make myself a variation of transport missions and start to explore what it can do.

Again, thanks all for generous replies with useful hints & tips!

| i7 7700K quad@4.50Ghz | GTX 1080Ti | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | X52Pro | G25 | Rift CV1 / 2 x Acer GN246HL |

Huey is a great module to learn how to fly an helicopter. It's pretty basic systems wise but the flight model is pretty good overall. This is what we use for ab initio pilots. Then you can move to Mi8 and Gazelle. Ka50 is less a challenge to fly but it is the most interesting module for its systems (Abris, PVI800, datalink,...).

Not a great idea in real life, this puts extreme stress on the tailboom and can lead to LTE and a while host of other dangerous conditions!

Not to mention your door gunner will kick your ass for giving him 100kts of wind in the face :bash:

It's always illuminating to hear from someone with RL experience to correct the bad habits we learn in sims.

Not that I'm entirely convinced I'll always be a good boy :)

It's always illuminating to hear from someone with RL experience to correct the bad habits we learn in sims.

Not that I'm entirely convinced I'll always be a good boy :)

Haha, one of the primary reasons I fly the Huey in DCS is to do things they won’t let me do in real life :pilotfly:

The best part is I often find out why I’m not allowed to do it when I end up a smoking hole in the ground!

Haha, one of the primary reasons I fly the Huey in DCS is to do things they won’t let me do in real life :pilotfly:

The best part is I often find out why I’m not allowed to do it when I end up a smoking hole in the ground!

That's one of the best reasons I ever heart for flying in DCS. :thumbup:

Doing all the stupid things in DCS, and there is no need to try it in real life. :pilotfly:

Should be mandatory by insurance companies for every real-life pilot :smilewink:

No need to say "thanks" ED. Just send me my share of the money you may earn with that genius idea :smartass:

Always happy landings ;)

That's one of the best reasons I ever heart for flying in DCS. :thumbup:

Doing all the stupid things in DCS, and there is no need to try it in real life. :pilotfly:

Should be mandatory by insurance companies for every real-life pilot :smilewink:

No need to say "thanks" ED. Just send me my share of the money you may earn with that genius idea :smartass:

Haha, great idea!

The only problem is I often catch myself with bad habits... Doing our tac low flying, sometimes I almost forget to fly OVER the high tension power lines, because we aren't allowed to do it in real life but it's so easy in DCS!