Viggen Brakes and NWS change

bones1014

Since the last update the brakes for the Viggen seem to be very very strong. Even with a curve it seems that as soon as I apply any amount of braking they are fully applied. The NWS sticks to the left a bit. I sometimes have to shake the pedals to get the steering to stay centered. I did check my calibration.

I'm seeing this too, though it had been a long time since I flew the Viggen, so I'm not sure when it changed. I'm afraid to use the brakes at all on rollout since it ends in a spinout half the time. Seems way too unstable, especially for a tricycle gear. Also, every spinout leads to popped tires. You can do a repair, but because the aircraft it sitting lower, the new tires start slightly below the runway, and slightly stuck. It makes for a tricky takeoff run.

I feel the same! It has happened in the patch before this weeks or the one before that.

I dont use rudder pedals (yet), so the change with going from 0 to 100% brake effect with a click of a button is very much noticable, with black brake skid marks whenever wheelbrake's applied above 50 km/h or around that.

When it comes to the NWS i havn't noticed too big of a difference, but you are probably right about that.

I haven't flied Viggen very very long time, so I thought breaks were already like this. Yes they're too strong but adding curve and changing saturation have worked for me.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 3 weeks later...

Yea the brakes went super touchy. I had to set the axis as a slider and then add a curve to it. If I didnt set it as slider, they would be even more touchy with a curve?

The nose wheel steering has always been very sensitive, nothing changed there imo. And you shouldnt use it on the runway anyway. Just make sure you are properly lined up, then SPÅK keeps it straight, and if, then use the toe brakes to steer - but with adjustment obviously :)

Edit: And I have curve on the rudder too - think its 30, so long since I set it. But with all that, I have no problems keeping the Viggen under control during taxi, take off or landing. But I agree though, its very sensitive in all ground handling areas.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I theorize it's got to do with ED changing the ground model (now that they realized it was bonkers, and couldn't get the FA18 working properly on carriers), so HB had to add a fix for the ground handling model And a fix is a fix. So hopefully they can get on top of this.

Meanwhile, only brake using your reversor (no wheel brakes) until you're really slow.

Yea the brakes went super touchy. I had to set the axis as a slider and then add a curve to it. If I didnt set it as slider, they would be even more touchy with a curve?

The nose wheel steering has always been very sensitive, nothing changed there imo. And you shouldnt use it on the runway anyway. Just make sure you are properly lined up, then SPÅK keeps it straight, and if, then use the toe brakes to steer - but with adjustment obviously :)

Edit: And I have curve on the rudder too - think its 30, so long since I set it. But with all that, I have no problems keeping the Viggen under control during taxi, take off or landing. But I agree though, its very sensitive in all ground handling areas.

You don't use the NWS when taking off or landing, you use the toe brakes. (But at the moment this isn't working)

You don't use the NWS when taking off or landing, you use the toe brakes. (But at the moment this isn't working)

I thought thats what I wrote?

Anyway, it does work, just need to adjust the toe brake axis, as I wrote.

Attached the axis settings I use, and with that I can use toe brakes during taxi and take off / landing. Plenty of force still to stop it, and hold it during full mill spool up. Could maybe go even lower in the Y-Saturation.

117090640_viggenbrakeaxis.jpg.589c9ab4b786bf2daa3a96742b2de096.jpg

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Today I could go to stage 3 afterburner, and Viggen was steady as a rock, not moving a bit. :) Don't think that is suppose to be that way.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but this doesn't necessarily have to indicate too efficient brakes, but rather too high friction between tires and the ground are used.

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5