KA50 pro tips requested - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
Harlikwin
Veteran

Default KA50 pro tips requested

So,

Learning the black shark, can "kinda" operate most systems, mostly need more practice.

Some questions

1. I've noticed a weird behavior when I get 0 response from the stick, usually letting it center solves it, and I think it may be related to using the trim button. Anyone have thoughts on this? Its caused me to crash a few times but I'm getting better.

2. Turning off the "flight director" is there a visual indication of this being on/off somewhere? I sometimes forget if I have it on or off.

3. ABRIS/NAV.... I'm flying online, so is there any way to import marks from the F10 map like a few other planes can do? I've been punching in waypoints, but its tedious.

4. Kobmat... I often find myself flying into areas with various radar guided sams present, I try to stay low and use terrain but is there a specific altitude that is considered "safe" I'm usually under 50m ~20-30 being typical. I'm getting shot down alot by SA-6/8 and other double digit sams. Not having an RWR sucks. Does going under a certain speed help in this regard. I know IRL most radars reject "low-n-slow" targets.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
ricktoberfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
So,

Learning the black shark, can "kinda" operate most systems, mostly need more practice.

Some questions

1. I've noticed a weird behavior when I get 0 response from the stick, usually letting it center solves it, and I think it may be related to using the trim button. Anyone have thoughts on this? Its caused me to crash a few times but I'm getting better.

2. Turning off the "flight director" is there a visual indication of this being on/off somewhere? I sometimes forget if I have it on or off.

3. ABRIS/NAV.... I'm flying online, so is there any way to import marks from the F10 map like a few other planes can do? I've been punching in waypoints, but its tedious.

4. Kobmat... I often find myself flying into areas with various radar guided sams present, I try to stay low and use terrain but is there a specific altitude that is considered "safe" I'm usually under 50m ~20-30 being typical. I'm getting shot down alot by SA-6/8 and other double digit sams. Not having an RWR sucks. Does going under a certain speed help in this regard. I know IRL most radars reject "low-n-slow" targets.

The stick response is about trimming. There are a couple different modes to try and make it work with non-ffb sticks. The one you’re talking about requires the stick to be centered before you regain control. The other mode gives you a short time (I think about a second) to center your stick before it fully kicks in. I don’t remember the names of each mode, but some of the really old stickies on the forum talk about adjusting timing and such.

There is a button that temporarily disabled the flight director (rather than pushing the blue button) and when it’s deactivated there are some horizontal hash marks on your hud on the horizon

I don’t think there is a way of importing anything to the abris as far as I know

As far as sams. If there are radar sams nearby then you’re in the wrong battleground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 2400, Vega64 @1080p
ricktoberfest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
dimitriov

For Radar SAM, their code is 10m ground minimum. If you fly below it you are perfectly safe from them. You can even have fun rolling behind them on roads
dimitriov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
smallberries

So does radar look through buildings/trees atm?
smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Harlikwin
Veteran

Yes also wondering about looking through trees, or considering height above trees/buildings.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
Kang

Enemies used to look (and sometimes shoot) through all sorts of terrain, but as far as I can tell that got fixed quite a while ago. As all DCS AI units they can pinpoint you if you stick out an inch somewhere, though, so that's that.

There is no way to link the F10 map with ABRIS, but if I'm not mistaken there is a possibility to save flight plans to a file and restore them later, so you could have pre-made flight plans in files to save yourself some time when you play certain scenarios regularly.
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitriov View Post
For Radar SAM, their code is 10m ground minimum. If you fly below it you are perfectly safe from them. You can even have fun rolling behind them on roads
How about stuff like Shilkas and radar guided AAA?
Old 06-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang View Post
Enemies used to look (and sometimes shoot) through all sorts of terrain, but as far as I can tell that got fixed quite a while ago. As all DCS AI units they can pinpoint you if you stick out an inch somewhere, though, so that's that.

There is no way to link the F10 map with ABRIS, but if I'm not mistaken there is a possibility to save flight plans to a file and restore them later, so you could have pre-made flight plans in files to save yourself some time when you play certain scenarios regularly.
For me this is for online play, so its all pretty dynamic. I usually punch in what I need to the PVI and my actual target point into the ABRIS so I know when I'm closing in on it and can decide how I want to approach it.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
3WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang View Post

They seem to still know where you are, even if your behind terrain. After I was shot down the other day, I stayed around watching the battle in the mission Battle.miz. I was watching a Russian SPA (self-propelled artillery) that was tracking an M1 tank. The SPA was behind a small shed that was about 15 feet away and in a patch of trees. He couldn't see the tank because it was blocked by the building, but I had labels on, so I could see where it was. Yet, he was tracking it, his turret moving with the path of the M1. When it cleared the building, and before it was blocked again by a tree, the SPA fired.

A while back I had set up a mission to attack a vehicle base with two Mi-24's patrolling it at about 10ft above the ground. I was going to sneak up at very low level, behind some large hills, to get closer for a surprise attack. To my surprise, the copters came over the hill to attack me, even though they couldn't possibly have seen me.

This is before we got solid trees, so I'll have to try it again. But I highly suspect that the enemy AI can still see through everything. They just don't fire now, if blocked.

@Harlikwin - My experience is, the SAM's are the least of your problems. It's the fighters and other heli's that are deadly. I was flying a few feet above the streets between large buildings once, and an A-10 just shredded me with his gun. They can get at you no matter where you are. Battle.miz is especially bad, because it drops you (if you start flying) just a few km from 4 AH-1W attack helicopters that are on a path coming right at you. And they always seem to be more interested in you, than the tanks, if your somewhat close.

Last edited by 3WA; 06-14-2019 at 06:52 PM.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #10
Isegrim

>Switch off central Position Trimmer mode ( Yes its more hard to fly but Central position trimmer mode zeroes all input till your stick wasnt perfectly centered).

>OK ….but the HUD should be different ?!?

>
Only in ME > prepare flight. There is no way to import Data to the Abris on the fly. You have to draw yourself into the Abris

4. Kobmat... I often find myself flying into areas with various radar guided sams present, I try to stay low and use terrain but is there a specific altitude that is considered "safe" I'm usually under 50m ~20-30 being typical. I'm getting shot down alot by SA-6/8 and other double digit sams. Not having an RWR sucks. Does going under a certain speed help in this regard. I know IRL most radars reject "low-n-slow" targets.[/QUOTE]

>
LR SAM 50m max AGL
MED SAM 15-25m (depends on system)
SR SAM less than 10 m AGL (like SA-6 or SA-8 and even worse SA-19)

ISE

New DCS World KA-50 Blackshark and SU-25 Sound?

Bitte immer neue Wattestäbchen benutzen. Nicht nachschieben!
Isegrim is offline   Reply With Quote