Wake turbulence

archer86

I thought my joystick was broken, then 3 months later I figured it's the Wake Turbulence. I turned it off and some time later still happens randomly sometimes, it happens less, only rarely, but still. I'll double check the settings.

Talking about the juttery ruder.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

@Worrazen: some missions (and thus, servers) force a set of options to the clients. Often, it's all about difficulty settings (map view, invicibility, unlimited ammo) but sometimes they force the wake turbulence because they think it's important for realism, overlooking the performance cost.

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

... but sometimes they force the wake turbulence because they think it's important for realism, overlooking the performance cost.

Should be forced as a core feature in MP. Or do you think players should be able to choose simple flight model too for performance sake?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Should be forced as a core feature in MP. Or do you think players should be able to choose simple flight model too for performance sake?

Then it should work correctly and not kill performance like it does. Crappy frame rates and physics weirdness aren't "realistic" either. For a small PvP server it works fine, but for a big war server it's yet another pothole among many.

Servers have run for decades before they introduced this relatively new feature. Their owner and their players never complained about it being "unrealistic".

I think that realism is really what I'm after; but I like to do some concessions to the fact that :

• we're not real pilots - labels in the cockpit are not that outrageous
  • we're not in the real workd - I fly with dot-labels over aircrafts that are 10-4 nm away, because I can't see one tiny pixel on my screen, where a real pilot can see a plane at 10nm
  • we're playing a game - I use the external views, including the F6 view because it's fun
  • we're playing a very badly optimised game - VR players, players with a small budget, do not have the processing power needed for shadows, turbulence, you-name-it
  • we're playing a very buggy program - I have multiple mods that are there only to correct long-standing bugs in DCS ; this stops me from joining IC-enforcing servers (I don't complain)

Long story short, I don't like being forced to do something in a game.

Love, Zip.

• Like 1

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

The devs themselves pointed out it's still a WIP feature. Until it's sorted for good (the biggest problems being framerate footprint and physics going bonkers when planes skip on multiplayer servers), it's a gimmick, not usable for anything useful.

I'd rather have more glaring omissions fixed first (has MiG-15 got the ground effect implemented at last?).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The devs themselves pointed out it's still a WIP feature. Until it's sorted for good (the biggest problems being framerate footprint and physics going bonkers when planes skip on multiplayer servers), it's a gimmick, not usable for anything useful.

I'd rather have more glaring omissions fixed first (has MiG-15 got the ground effect implemented at last?).

Is it not ! It is the future.

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

it's a gimmick, not usable for anything useful.

Not useful for anything other than simulating the actual dynamics of flight - I think for most flights from take off to landing WWII fighters will spend more time during combat in situations where wake effects have the potential to be a significant factor than your average MiG-15 player will spend in ground effect during takeoff and landing.

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.