Wake turbulence

archer86

As long as you can turn it off in the settings there's no need to remove it from DCS.

Is turned off and still have impact on my game performance on MP server.

For some Server owners is much important Donations and Sponsor advertisement in trigger messages / briefing screen than optimal server settings.

Edited by Falcon_S

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Maybe the servers just have it on because people have been asking for it to be implemented for years, and it didn't occur to them that when it finally arrived, people would immediately ask for it to be turned off...

Cheers.

Just imagine this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=213533&d=1562752094

...on server with +30 people and some AI's (tankers, AWACS... and many more).

And..

yes, after corrections are made hahaha. On the server I play on, if someone was taxiing or did a low pass while the server stuttered/lagged just a little bit (which happens on all MP servers), it would make all the other planes on the ramp flip over and fly off 50 meters. The server owner had to turn it off for the time being. Idk if it has been fixed yet.

Implemented... GG.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

• 1 month later...

I did a test mission with me in Su-27 and infront some bigger yet like Boeing KC135, and when coming close to him, specially when the other airplane does some maneuvering (changing direction), I can confirm that I feel the turbulence. My aircraft is shaking for a bit. But I doubt in reality is so little of it.

And you can only feel when you close just behind the end of the wing. If you are close behind in the middle of it, you don`t feel a thing.

is the video of it.
Edited by mitja_bonca

My aircraft is shaking for a bit. But I doubt in reality is so little of it.

And you can only feel when you close just behind the end of the wing. If you are close behind in the middle of it, you don`t feel a thing.

So little? Your Su is rolling almost 90deg in the wake.

Since this turbulence has its origin at the wingtips you notice it the most behind the wing tips. Further inboard you should experience jet and downwash, but these kind of disturbances don't produce significant turbulence.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

... Further inboard you should experience jet and downwash, but these kind of disturbances don't produce significant turbulence.

Is the downwash currently modeled?

I flew behind behind & under the trailing edge of a tanker, didn't notice something. I think it was the KC-135 MPRS in the F-14. But this was 2 months ago maybe ...

The wing tip vortice was clearly noticable, it was like in a real aircraft, but not the downwash in the center section.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• ED Team

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

So little? Your Su is rolling almost 90deg in the wake.

Since this turbulence has its origin at the wingtips you notice it the most behind the wing tips. Further inboard you should experience jet and downwash, but these kind of disturbances don't produce significant turbulence.

I said wrong, with little I meant that the turbulence is felt up to cca 500m behind the aircraft, further behind I didn`t feel much or almost anything.

I am not an expert, but how much back should the turbulence be felt, based on same params, like type and size of aircraft infront and air speed?

But as far as I watched Air crash investigation series, behind the big aircrafts, turbiulence can be felt on kilometes, up to 7 if I remember in worst cases.

What do you think?

Wow, exactly that I was talking above. Great example what turbulence does.

So this is that we see up in the air, that white trail behind the aircraft?

Edited by mitja_bonca

I said wrong, with little I meant that the turbulence is felt up to cca 500m behind the aircraft, further behind I didn`t feel much or almost anything.

I am not an expert, but how much back should the turbulence be felt, based on same params, like type and size of aircraft infront and air speed?

Keep in mind that the wake tends to spread out laterally and wash down vertically the further away you are from the origin. This was illustrated in a video on youtube by ED (i can't provide a link right now but a search for "DCS wake turbulence" should suffice). I don't know how much of the whole system is already in place on DCS though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

• ED Team
Impressive video. Wake turbulence is also important for helicopters in real life. Wish it can be modelled in the game.

Helicopters have their own challenges for modelling this with the transition in flight, so while it's planned, it's still pretty WIP.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

This wake turbulence video is very impressive and as far as I know a first in PC flight simulation (can be wrong because I haven't flown any other sim for the last 10 years). DCS really shows the way for hardcore simmers. Congrats ED.

Now, and I am glad I am not the first one to ask, we really need some love for our choppers. I don't know if wake turbulences of a FW affects a chopper taking off behind, but I would love to also see something happening when two choppers are flying above each others.

I know RW is an order or magnitude more complex than FW though.

How is the performance scaling (or will scale) with the number of AC in the vicinity?

Currently, I find that it leads to severe FPS decrease if you approach multiple AC let alone larger formations of bombers.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Great to see this level of detail creeping into DCS!

Wake Turb is a real danger to aircraft - see pic below of a landing CT4 of the RNZAF Red Checker display team experiencing some wake turb from a preceeding aircraft just prior. Note the full corrective rudder (mirrored by nosewheel) and aileron deflection.

The CAA pamphlet attached on Wake Turb is a very easy to read info booklet on the phenomenon

Photo © 2016 Brian Greenwood

CT4.png.6f159b5fa272a2582619ee02662316c2.png

Wake_Turbulence.pdf

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Helicopters have their own challenges for modelling this with the transition in flight, so while it's planned, it's still pretty WIP.

Hi NineLine!

Great!! Will the downwash also have an effect to lingloading?

System: Intel I5-9600K | MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon | MSI RTX2080 TI | Corsair Vengeance 32 GB | 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO | Thrustmaster Warthog | Self-made UH-1 Central Pedestal, Collective and Pedals | HP Reverb

Any freaking LOVE for the helicopter about that?!

To be fair this game is the best so far for flying helicopters and enjoying the good physics of it!

Why the freaking helicopter has to come at the end always. I'm a helicopter guy and I hate being left the the end always...!

Edited by Murey2

• ED Team

Because helicopters are much more complicated. But even now Ka-50 and Mi-8 can be naturally affected with this effect. Although they do not produce it yet because of more complicated things for transition from hovering. Say, it would be very weird if helos produce wake turbulence and do not produce downwash at hovering.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Because helicopters are much more complicated. But even now Ka-50 and Mi-8 can be naturally affected with this effect. Although they do not produce it yet because of more complicated things for transition from hovering. Say, it would be very weird if helos produce wake turbulence and do not produce downwash at hovering.

Roger that. Glad to know that is being worked on.

Some really nice work implementing wake turbulence. I struck it the other day when I accidently delayed my rotation on takeoff behind two Hornets and passed through both their wakes. Very cool.

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

Some really nice work implementing wake turbulence. I struck it the other day when I accidently delayed my rotation on takeoff behind two Hornets and passed through both their wakes. Very cool.

What were you taking off with?

I haven't had the opportunity to try the wake turbulence with the various modules except the A-10C and F/A-18, so i'm curious to get info on how much it is affecting other modules :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

What were you taking off with?

I haven't had the opportunity to try the wake turbulence with the various modules except the A-10C and F/A-18, so i'm curious to get info on how much it is affecting other modules :)

Atm all aircraft affect other aircraft AI including. Even own missiles cause wake turbulence on your own aircraft. Easiest to notice is to fly behind some heavy.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Atm all aircraft affect other aircraft AI including. Even own missiles cause wake turbulence on your own aircraft. Easiest to notice is to fly behind some heavy.

Yes i know this.

What i meant was that i'd like to know how much a MIG-21 is affected compared to a F/A-18 or an A-10, since that's highly dependant on the plane itself.

The overall effect is probably the same, just how much does it differ between modules?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005