Wake turbulence

archer86

Feature is not ready yet and disabled in code.

This option should be enabled by default. Of course after the corrections have been made. :thumbup:

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

My question for the whole modeling of it is, how would it change the dog fight scenarios in the DCS? How in the reality?

Like one can see that in aerobatic teams cockpit videos in YouTube that they do not fly just after each others but keep a very well clear of the other aircraft so everyone gets "clear undisturbed air".

But how much more difficult it should be to fly behind a another aircraft in dog fight?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

But how much more difficult it should be to fly behind a another aircraft in dog fight?

You will rarely have the chance in WVR combat to fly the exact same path as your opponent, unless he is unaware of you and flies just straight.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried to refuel the Hornet

Massive fail could not understand why then it clicked Wake Turbulence. Even approaching I was getting tossed around like a toy

This is going to take a little getting used to

Has there been any update on this since USSR_Rik's post, or is it still just a setting with no actual effect on the game?

Seems whatever we do effect is in game. Also FPS impact for me.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Going to check again today, but since the update to the Beta yesterday

The Hornet was really getting pitched around approaching a KC-135, and it wasn't just a little twitch this was like 45-60 degrees one way or the other. That was on Aerobatics On Line Caucasus.

When approaching the hose it was less but still there to a degree making an already difficult manouver, for me, impossible on my last attempt.

Going to test it in SP with the option enabled and disabled, then try again in Multiplayer.

Interesting that some people/aircraft are not seeing it

Just tried to refuel the Hornet

Massive fail could not understand why then it clicked Wake Turbulence. Even approaching I was getting tossed around like a toy

This is going to take a little getting used to

Approach outside of its wake on the left side of the tanker. Once you are in formation, lower altitude a bit and then move into refueling position. Think of the wake like a cone coming out from behind a jet. Closer you are, the start of that cone is small. The further you are the bigger the cone is and you will hit the turbulence in a larger area.

Edit: Probably not the best example and as you can see I suck at 3D stuff plus no good software to do it. But hopefully this gives an idea. Also the hoses come down below the jets wake.

attachment.php?attachmentid=213193&stc=1&d=1562324176

1983932015_wakesample.thumb.png.97a798ce1e7e4a2f781da3b5ea9404de.png

Edited by Kazius

• ED Team
.Impact;3969153']Some quick testing with 20 AI Yak-52s behind a C-17 seems to show that the AI flightmodel is not affected by the wake turbulences at all.

Any plans to change this ?

AI has the flight model that can not naturally react to the velocity field as PFM/AFM can. So, the same about EFM - different approaches of different 3rd parties will react in different ways - some of them will do it naturally and some - will have to imitate more or less.

So, AI could imitate vortex effect in the future, but regarding the massive using of AI in the missions it can significantly affect the overall game performance. The main question is if we want it for such cost.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

AI has the flight model that can not naturally react to the velocity field as PFM/AFM can. So, the same about EFM - different approaches of different 3rd parties will react in different ways - some of them will do it naturally and some - will have to imitate more or less.

So, AI could imitate vortex effect in the future, but regarding the massive using of AI in the missions it can significantly affect the overall game performance. The main question is if we want it for such cost.

Thanks for answering this :)

I was mainly thinking about an AI aircraft that's chasing a player in a dogfight. Would be very cool to e.g. see the AI get spun around by the vortex aswell. Maybe it would be not as performance taxing if it would only react to "player vortex" ?

Anyway- still great so see this ingame.

image.png

This feature brings back memories to the Buck Danny comics, especially issue #44: where a Hornet was being tossed around by the heat waves of a MiG-29 in afterburner in arctic climate :joystick:

That issue is what got me aware of the existence of wake turbulence :thumbup:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Approach outside of its wake on the left side of the tanker. Once you are in formation, lower altitude a bit and then move into refueling position. Think of the wake like a cone coming out from behind a jet. Closer you are, the start of that cone is small. The further you are the bigger the cone is and you will hit the turbulence in a larger area.

Edit: Probably not the best example and as you can see I suck at 3D stuff plus no good software to do it. But hopefully this gives an idea. Also the hoses come down below the jets wake.

attachment.php?attachmentid=213193&stc=1&d=1562324176

Thanks for the advice I'll give that a try.

I am getting better with but I find it's making what was already a difficult manoevure, now close to impossible.

I can establish contact occassioanally but staying there is beyond me as of now

Must do better!!!!

As for the AI my vote is not to implement it for them. They already do things we cannot, so what's one more really.

DCS already takes a significantly powerful rig to run well, last thing I need is something else eating more processing power

• 2 weeks later...

If Wake turbulence is not forced by mission options and in my settings is OFF why i still have wake effect in mission/MP?

Is that means if other clients use Wake turbulence then their wake still have effect on me?

Ok, i like Wake Turbulence (effect/idea) but it killing my FPS - i can't play in MP anymore. FPS drop is from 50-60 to 6-10. Unplayable.

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

If Wake turbulence is not forced by mission options and in my settings is OFF why i still have wake effect in mission/MP?

Is that means if other clients use Wake turbulence then their wake still have effect on me?

Ok, i like Wake Turbulence (effect/idea) but it killing my FPS - i can't play in MP anymore. FPS drop is from 50-60 to 6-10. Unplayable.

Its what ever the host has in the game settings (not mission settings), so if host has Wake turbulence on, then its on for everybody.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Its what ever the host has in the game settings (not mission settings), so if host has Wake turbulence on, then its on for everybody.

Nice. (seems that dedicated server app have no option to control that - is ON by default even on server info MP screen is: Wake Trubulence: ___ (empty))

Edited by Falcon_S

This option should be enabled by default. Of course after the corrections have been made. :thumbup:

yes, after corrections are made hahaha. On the server I play on, if someone was taxiing or did a low pass while the server stuttered/lagged just a little bit (which happens on all MP servers), it would make all the other planes on the ramp flip over and fly off 50 meters. The server owner had to turn it off for the time being. Idk if it has been fixed yet.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

I am waiting that ALL aircrafts generate the turbulence at some manner, it would make dog fights far more interesting as lagging behind would make difficult to get firing solution etc.

Same thing, AI should start to use same physics as humans, and have reaction times simulated as well as spotting and searching etc.

You will rarely have the chance in WVR combat to fly the exact same path as your opponent, unless he is unaware of you and flies just straight.

Not talking about flying straight behind, but as well flying through the wash...

Rik has posted some details about the wake turbulance simulation in the russian forums:

Влияния включенной приземной турбулентности пока нет, если мне не изменяет память. А вот растекание следа по земле, затухание и снос ветром - пожалуйста.

Тряска еще не прикручена, я ж говорил - спутный след пока WIP.

attachment.php?attachmentid=213533&d=1562752094

Google Translation: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.eagle.ru%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D3974863%26postcount%3D19189&sandbox=1

Ну вот на скорую руку небольшая демонстрация. Взлёт, после первого витка петли я бросил самолёт боту, чтобы спокойно переключиться на внешнюю камеру и показать "хвосты" следа на земле. Ветер в треке дует на север (слева направо) - видно, как перекашивается кольцо следа. Ускорение времени включено примерно во второй половине трека.

Позже мы сделаем это более красиво и наглядно, ролик запланирован, просто пока не сделана такая визуализация, которую мы хотим.

Google Translation: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.eagle.ru%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D3975145%26postcount%3D19192

Edit: Unfortunately Rik has deleted the youtube video, which showed wake turbalance in in real time and how it behaves over time.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

...Unfortunately Rik has deleted the youtube video, ...

He need to delete that effect from dcs too... is game performance killer (need optimization).