KA50 pro tips requested - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #21
ams999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
For the life of me I can't find this command, what is it called? there is nothing in bindings called skval reset.
Look for "Button Targeting mode reset"
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #22
Oceandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Not really.

Your rotor above you is constantly rotating at near sound barrier.

Going on all directions, at various speeds etc.

You can't hide from a radar unless you turn your engines off.

Your fuselage speed doesn't matter, your rotor disk does..

But radar requires special mode to filter the rotor to get a valid targeting data. Otherwise rotor is huge noise jammer that blinds radar from that area.

That is one reason why helicopters has special cases in airfields etc as they cause lots of trouble. And why wind turbines cause bad radar blocking on radars etc.

So no matter what you do, Doppler effect is there at high speed, to all directions even at the wind turbine speeds.
I was not talking about real life but in DCS. A well known virtual squad have tested it. But I must add that AWACS seem to be able to detect no matter what as long as you're not behind an object or something.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #23
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandar View Post
I was not talking about real life but in DCS. A well known virtual squad have tested it. But I must add that AWACS seem to be able to detect no matter what as long as you're not behind an object or something.
I was talking that DCS should be changed.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #24
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Not really.

Your rotor above you is constantly rotating at near sound barrier.
Going on all directions, at various speeds etc.

You can't hide from a radar unless you turn your engines off.

Your fuselage speed doesn't matter, your rotor disk does..

But radar requires special mode to filter the rotor to get a valid targeting data. Otherwise rotor is huge noise jammer that blinds radar from that area.

That is one reason why helicopters has special cases in airfields etc as they cause lots of trouble. And why wind turbines cause bad radar blocking on radars etc.

So no matter what you do, Doppler effect is there at high speed, to all directions even at the wind turbine speeds.
Do radars normally filter it out? I.e. its low and slow so its not what I'm looking for?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #25
3WA

It sure didn't in Falcon BMS.

I don't think there was any "filter" you could hit, to tell the computer "no heli's". But it's been a few years since I flew the F-16 in BMS.

Not sure if Ground Radar would see it or not either. Might show up as a vehicle. But I'm sure the radar would know what it was from it's unique Doppler signature.

Last edited by 3WA; 06-18-2019 at 09:09 PM.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #26
Thumper152

So I am curious how this is modeled in DCS, more so how it is modeled for the F-18. I have been trying to be sneak sneaky on enemy positions on growling sidewinders server and those pesky 18's seem to pick me off no problem with 120's at altitude. Even when I think I am in a "safe" spot, super low, terrain masking and in a hover they still manage to find me no problem.
Thumper152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
Oceandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper152 View Post
So I am curious how this is modeled in DCS, more so how it is modeled for the F-18. I have been trying to be sneak sneaky on enemy positions on growling sidewinders server and those pesky 18's seem to pick me off no problem with 120's at altitude. Even when I think I am in a "safe" spot, super low, terrain masking and in a hover they still manage to find me no problem.
That is because the AWACS tells them via datalink. AWACS detection seems immune from "minimum" 70 knots unless you're covered behind a hill or something. It can detect you even when you're hovering.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #28
3WA

And I think it was GTharos that said some time ago that "doppler doesn't see you at 70 knots" should be taken out, as it's really a cheat. So, maybe they did.

Anyway, supposedly your heli stands out like a bonfire to dopper radar, IRL. So, there's no hiding from it, unless your behind cover.

This is why I tell people don't ever go high if there's any kind of radar around. Keep behind the trees and buildings, and do popup attacks. Of course, against fighters, even that doesn't help. I've been sniped by 30mm from an A-10 while flying down a road, just above the ground between buildings. The AI in this game can be god like.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:52 AM   #29
Oceandar

You can dodge both the radar and IR missiles if you fly below 7 meters and not on hover, keep moving. I've wasted countless missiles trying to kill pesky Mistrall flying below 7 meters. The only thing that could effectively kill them is with guns but thats not without risks.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #30
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
2. Turning off the "flight director" is there a visual indication of this being on/off somewhere? I sometimes forget if I have it on or off.
FD mode gives you manual flight control (unlike AP assisted flght control with FD off), so you don't need to hold down the trimmer to make changes to your flight regime. This is such a huge difference in flying the aircraft that I find it a bit odd that you sometimes don't know wheter you fly in FD mode or not. Anyways, when you activate FD mode, the HUD changes into FD mode as well, which provides you with steering cues. This is a good indicator to check if you're in FD mode or not. The best indicator is still the FD button itself, which lights up when you activate it (well, currently it gets dark instead of lighting up, because of the broken light graphics in the KA-50).

Quote:
3. ABRIS/NAV.... I'm flying online, so is there any way to import marks from the F10 map like a few other planes can do? I've been punching in waypoints, but its tedious.
No, there's not. The only planes that have such a feature are the ones made by Heatblur (Viggen, Tomcat).

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote