Civ. Traffic Let's Talk About It... - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
StormBat

Default Civ. Traffic Let's Talk About It...

I really like to fly over cities, towns, and highways in DCS World, especially in my Huey or KA-50.... To see the CIV traffic going their merry way to work or home or wherever gives me a sense of really being in this occupied world... BUT and it's a big one... When the Civ vehicles just appear or disappear like magic or turn a 180 in less then a sec, or go through (like a ghost) actual placed units for a mission, it just destroys the immersion, and I think what's the point?

Is this something that has been brought up? Can it be fixed? Because I just notice it more often than not, and I've decided to disable it all together until it's fixed or corrected, because right now it kills my immersion and I've noticed it a lot too when I record videos and put them on You Tube. Love DCS World, Love all the aircraft that I have purchased, so not putting you guys (ED) down. I just think that if your going to have CIV Traffic, then make it as realistic as possible but whatever you do don't leave it in the state it is now either. Anyway not the biggest thing to attend to in DCS World, but I hope one day it does get some attention. Cheers.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
QuiGon
Veteran

The civ traffic are just moving scenery objects. To make them do what you requested (driving physics, obstacle detection, collision) they would have to be real units which would cause a tremendous impact on performance, given the number of civ vehicles.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
MegOhm_SD

If you are flying Combat with placed units, why not just turn them off...civ vehicles have no place in combat areas anyway.

If you are just joyriding and sight seeing in cities like Vegas or Dubai let em roll.

Doubtful ED will ever tweak civ traffic for the reasons QuiGon states.

Thing is....Zuckerberg is definitely an Alien... Some Kind of Grey Hybrid

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Test Bench, ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 65" Samsung 4k 8 Series, Oculus S, Win 10
MegOhm_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:42 AM   #4
StormBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
The civ traffic are just moving scenery objects. To make them do what you requested (driving physics, obstacle detection, collision) they would have to be real units which would cause a tremendous impact on performance, given the number of civ vehicles.

I understand that, and thanks for responding, much appreciated. Is there no way though that it can be tweaked so vehicles just don't appear/disappear or turn 180 on a dime, say within 3 to 5 km of human players in aircraft or vehicles controlled by human players? Sorry I know nothing about coding, or how all that works. But I guess it's all about resources and how it effects performance? Anyway Thanks again for the reply. Cheers.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #5
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBat View Post
But I guess it's all about resources and how it effects performance?
That's how it works. The more details you want, the more performance it costs. As a dev you have to decide where it is worth to sacrifice performance for more detail in simulation and IMHO a more detailed simulation of civ traffic isn't worth the performance impact. I would prefer ED to enhance the simulation elsewhere instead.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 07-17-2019 at 06:42 AM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
Exorcet

For a flight sim, the civilian traffic seems fine. The only issue I have is that you can only turn them on/off as a whole, rather than exclude them from specific areas. Some buildings can blow up next to a road and cars will keep driving right by at leisurely pace. Even this isn't a big deal though.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Svsmokey

Given their deathwish interactions at intersections , a blown-up building beside them is no big deal

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:21 AM   #8
ebabil

civiliian traffic or military traffic, there should be an air traffic. flying helicopters, planes here and there. it will make editor flights much more fun

Youtube
ebabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
ENO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabil View Post
civiliian traffic or military traffic, there should be an air traffic. flying helicopters, planes here and there. it will make editor flights much more fun
Look up The civilian air traffic mod and the MOOSE Random Air Traffic scripts- very easy to implement for random military and civil air traffic. Highly versatile and requires very little if any scripting knowledge with excellent video guides on YouTube.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art
ENO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #10
hazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENO View Post
Look up The civilian air traffic mod and the MOOSE Random Air Traffic scripts- very easy to implement for random military and civil air traffic. Highly versatile and requires very little if any scripting knowledge with excellent video guides on YouTube.
Shouldn't have to find mods for something that should be implemented by default.