Interesting/special features in aviation history

GoosemanF7

Hi all,

just wanted to invite all of you to post the most interesting, quirky, special, funnny features you can think of in any airplane.

I am talking about things like:

- Harrier using water injection to cool the engine and prevent the fanblades from melting

- Whole viggen concept including sturdy landing gear, thrust reverser etc. to allow landing/rearming anywhere

- british electric lightnings staggerd engine layout

- A10 being an airplane built around a giant gun

- KA50 being highly automated to require only one pilot

- F-14 Automatic carrier landing system (very advanced by 70s technology)

- F-14 usage of spoilers to descent when landing

- MIG21 radar cooled by alcohol

- F-16 only slightly movable Sidestick because of space- and g-tolerance-reasons

or anything else you can think of :pilotfly:

Keep it coming!

Three things about the F-86F.

1) The all moving stabilizer. More of an anecdote. I remember reading Chuck Yeagers biography. "Flying tail", the great secret breakthrough that the X-1 hadn't, how to maintain controllability on when passing Mach 1. Wouldn't be surprised if Yeager himself talked to North American when designing the F-86. Every fighter has it today but 1950 it was all new.

2) The atom bomb lobbying special instrument LABS.

3) The 100 % artificial feedback system on elevator and ailerons. Predicated only angle of stick deflection from the artificial trim position. Like a joystick kind of, where the center position ('trim') is adjustable by moving the springs.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))