JA 37 Viggen in the future? PLEASE make it happend!

DarkStar79

My dream aircraft in DCS would be a JA 37 Viggen. If that happend someday I would be the happiest man alive! :-) It just feels kinda easy for HB to do, but i might be wrong.

Is there any possibility that could happend?

I have heard that the radar was to similar to the JAS 39 system. So they couldnt do it right now.

The JA 37 was introduced 1979, its 40 years now! Its just crazy to me that you cant model something that is 40 years old today!

But I still dont get it, it must be official documents that you could find on the web on its performance and such so they could model the radar from. Isnt it exactly what ED are doing on the F16 and the F18?

Make the JA 37 Viggen please!! :-)

• Like 1

JA37 plus the J35 and I would be very happy. Lansen could be done later, then... :D

I'll second that! :D

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

I'm actually enjoying the good ol' AJS37 in air-to-air skirmishes.

But I'd go for another fighter and not swedish ones, nothing against them but they we already have the swedish plane.

I'd really like an F-4, A-7, F-105, Su-17, Su-7...older stuff mostly.

rear aspect IRs, iron bombs, stick and rudder. that's gold to me.

• Like 1

A fighter Viggen and a Draaken would be amazing! Not so much interested in the Lansen.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm actually enjoying the good ol' AJS37 in air-to-air skirmishes.

But I'd go for another fighter and not swedish ones, nothing against them but they we already have the swedish plane.

I'd really like an F-4, A-7, F-105, Su-17, Su-7...older stuff mostly.

rear aspect IRs, iron bombs, stick and rudder. that's gold to me.

Yea it may work if you are dueling a Mig 19, but on modern servers where there are F14 and F16 and f18s its pretty useless in Air to Air. And thats just sad, I want to be able to take the viggen and do air to air. And not just for fast A-G strike missions.

Yea it may work if you are dueling a Mig 19, but on modern servers where there are F14 and F16 and f18s its pretty useless in Air to Air. And thats just sad, I want to be able to take the viggen and do air to air. And not just for fast A-G strike missions.

well, with skyflash SARH missiles and that RWR system the JA (does it have the same system as the AJS or a different one?) would have short life on a "modern server" environment. I guess it was later upgraded for AMRAAM but I'm not sure, can you confirm this?

from what I read in books (namely Modern Air Combat by Bill Gunston and Mike Spick, Salamander Books Ltd 1983) also it's performance in sustained turn and instantaneous are far from ideal. no relaxed stability, also on the JA the canards are for STOL performance and not to increase maneuverability.

for sure a JA37 module with AMRAAMs could go head-to-head with the fulcrums and flankers we have in game...but it would be dead meat in a WVR with r-73s and HMD. I guess. ;)

well, with skyflash SARH missiles and that RWR system the JA (does it have the same system as the AJS or a different one?) would have short life on a "modern server" environment. I guess it was later upgraded for AMRAAM but I'm not sure, can you confirm this?

from what I read in books (namely Modern Air Combat by Bill Gunston and Mike Spick, Salamander Books Ltd 1983) also it's performance in sustained turn and instantaneous are far from ideal. no relaxed stability, also on the JA the canards are for STOL performance and not to increase maneuverability.

for sure a JA37 module with AMRAAMs could go head-to-head with the fulcrums and flankers we have in game...but it would be dead meat in a WVR with r-73s and HMD. I guess. ;)

I cant confirm anything, I just want a A-A radar so i can lock on to hostile aircraft and shoot missiles at them at longer range combined with IFF. And i guess that the JA got better EWR also.

I like playing planes that isnt as "good" as the high tech airplanes. I only play on the Blueflag server and the DDCS servers that is modern warfare. And I like playing the mig 21 there as well. But the Viggen is the airplane I like the most of all planes and after that the F-14.

And if we could get the mobile groundcrew to work in multiplayer that would be a dream come true!

Edited by Kristoffer79

The Fighter Viggen has indeed been upgraded with AMRAAM in its final years. Another advantage of the Fighter Viggen is it's data link system, which was the second fighter-fighter data link system in the world AFAIK (after the Tomcat).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The Fighter Viggen has indeed been upgraded with AMRAAM in its final years. Another advantage of the Fighter Viggen is it's data link system, which was the second fighter-fighter data link system in the world AFAIK (after the Tomcat).

The Viggen's maneuverability isn't bad if you don't pull high aoa and bleed all your speed.

JA-viggen did not have compressor stall problems. But according to old viggen pilots, where the viggen would make a circle JAS-39 could make and eight.

And more importantly, there's more to a module than whether it's good at fox3 airquake or not.

Viggens first data link was only fighter to fighter. But after the system got upgraded and you could the entire 4-ship. Even the GCI (RRJAL) could se the fighters on link.

stric.jpg

Some screenshots of the new upcoming module :lol: :music_whistling:

Screen_191109_181536.png

Screen_191112_143318.png

Screen_191111_234051.png

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

I've read somewhere that JAS39 uses some systems from JA37, and since they're still classified it won't be possible to simulate them in DCS.

Yea, but ofc they should be able to make the 1979 JA Viggen version. I dont think JAS 39 would have anything that the 1979 version of the Viggen have. I just find it strange thou..

The Viggen's maneuverability isn't bad if you don't pull high aoa and bleed all your speed.

And more importantly, there's more to a module than whether it's good at fox3 airquake or not.

So true x2.

The Draken I would by not in "early access", but in "very early access" :smartass:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

So true x2.

The Draken I would by not in "early access", but in "very early access" :smartass:

Would be nice. If you could have mig-23, draken, and F-4 phantom.

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

For me the JA version would be a wonderful experience.

It is most probably like distinguishing the IDS Tornado and the ADV variant back in 1991, when Tornado came out.

The ADV was a little more powerful, had the skyflash missile, and the air radar was more powerful (hope I remember right).

All this in DCS, and ... my social life is then totally gone.

I mean ... if HB decides to make the Tornado before the AJ ... hmm .. OK :)

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

and the air radar was more powerful

The Tornado IDS doesn't even have an air radar, just like the AJ(S)37 ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg