Simulator vs real life - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-29-2019, 09:45 PM   #21
civilizedAustin

Oh man, I would have loved to see the instructor's reaction!
civilizedAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:30 AM   #22
OldJames

Good to hear, but not altogether surprising. Both the military and civilian companies use simulators for training purposes, for example; the f35 has no two seater trainer, so the pilots go straight to from sim to solo!
I dare say that military simulators are a lot more complex than DCS, but probably not as much fun, or quite so cheap!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #23
Sharkku

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJames View Post
Good to hear, but not altogether surprising. Both the military and civilian companies use simulators for training purposes, for example; the f35 has no two seater trainer, so the pilots go straight to from sim to solo!
I dare say that military simulators are a lot more complex than DCS, but probably not as much fun, or quite so cheap!

Well, I have been curious for many years flying helicopters in sims, how much of it would be applicable in real life. Now I know!
Sharkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #24
Sharkku

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilizedAustin View Post
Oh man, I would have loved to see the instructor's reaction!

Yeah, me too, actually. I was too busy flying the heli to watch him!
Sharkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #25
fargo007

I had a similar experience, but I flew not the real helo but a full military Bell 206C sim. There's a thread around here about it with videos, etc. I could not only fly it, I could hot dog with it. Quick stops, turning about the nose, etc.

Without a doubt, if you can fly the DCS Huey proficiently, you will be able to fly a real helicopter. Truly.

Principal difference for me was the same - range of motion of the controls, and the level of input force required to move them.

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?
Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.
fargo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #26
ebabil
Veteran

I think in real life, it is much more stable than sim. Look at the video; Extremely stable with two finger control and no struggle. In the sim, heli acts like a stallion during take off and landing.

Youtube
Z390 / i5 9400F / Gtx1070 / 16 GB Ram / 500 gb SSD and 1 tb HDD // CH Fighterstick - MS FFB2 - TM Warthog Throttle - CH Pro Pedals - TrackIR 4

Last edited by ebabil; 10-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.
ebabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #27
Jester986

I'm happy for the OPS story and am happy he got to have a great time flying a real helicopter. I would caution people about thinking the sim could translate to a real life ability though. I fly helicopters for a living and occasionally I fly a Huey. The Huey flight model is OK but not what I would call realistic. The real helicopter has more tailrotor authority and is a bit more responsive although as far as helicopters go hueys are fairly sluggish. The MI-8 has the most real feeling flight model in my humble opinion. I think the KA-50 is probably pretty good but I've never flown a coaxial helicopter I have a tandem though for whatever that is worth.

To Ebabil though, with respect the stallion action of the helicopter is probably due to pilot induced osculations on your part and the lack of being able to feel the beginning of an oscillation in the seat of your pants. When I was a flight instructor we called teaching people to hover breaking a horse so your description of a stallion is both amusing and accurate
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:35 PM   #28
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabil View Post
I think in real life, it is much more stable than sim. Look at the video; Extremely stable with two finger control and no struggle. In the sim, heli acts like a stallion during take off and landing.

Having extension on stick and wide axis it makes it such behavior that you can just fly it with two fingers without any problems in stability. It really does work like "just think and don't do it, and it does it".
Old 10-10-2019, 11:52 PM   #29
Jester986

Agreed, I spent the money for the puma cyclic and collective. You need some good disposable income to afford it but its the best way to do helicopters in the sim.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #30
Elysian Angel

Nice story, thanks for sharing!

And yes, I love my PFT Puma as well!

System specs:
Spoiler:

i7 6700k @4.5Ghz
32 GB Corsair DDR4 2400MHz
ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
1TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD