Is the Viggen worth it?

Rhino182

I've gathered a bit of experience in DCS now, with a few modules, and im looking to add to my hangar. I am torn between buying this aircraft, for the fun of flying it and a bit of in and out ground pounding, and buying the Mirage for some air to air. Id welcome some opinions on the matter, thanks! :)

DCS Modules: UH1H | F/A18C | FC3 | Hawk | L-39 | AV8B | Viggen | Combined Arms | F-14 | F-16 | Yak-52

DCS Wishlist

Tornado GR4

Sepecat Jaguar

Avro Vulcan

A1H Apache

Wow, did you just pull the trigger on the F-18 and Mirage, within 10 minutes after posting this, judging by your signature? :D

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Wow, did you just pull the trigger on the F-18 and Mirage, within 10 minutes after posting this, judging by your signature? :D

lol no, i didnt mean to put M2000C in there and the F/A18 has been ordered for a while

DCS Modules: UH1H | F/A18C | FC3 | Hawk | L-39 | AV8B | Viggen | Combined Arms | F-14 | F-16 | Yak-52

DCS Wishlist

Tornado GR4

Sepecat Jaguar

Avro Vulcan

A1H Apache

It depends on what you're interested in. The Viggen is a dedicated interdictor and anti ship plattform and Heatblur did a great job to make this bird and its cold war tech as immersive as possible. It's definately my favorite aircraft in DCS so far. The kick of flying at tree top level at almost supersonic speeds to avoid the enemy air defense and strike behind the lines is incredible :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'd recommend getting the F/A-18C. It can do both air-to-air & air-to-ground, has wider selection of armaments than M2K and AJS-37 combined + it can do carrier ops.

And it's the same price as M2K or AJS-37 if you get it now.

already got the f-18 mate, just wanted something a bit different to fly as well as it. :)

DCS Wishlist

Tornado GR4

Sepecat Jaguar

Avro Vulcan

A1H Apache

It depends on what you're interested in. The Viggen is a dedicated interdictor and anti ship plattform and Heatblur did a great job to make this bird and its cold war tech as immersive as possible. It's definately my favorite aircraft in DCS so far. The kick of flying at tree top level at almost supersonic speeds to avoid the enemy air defense and strike behind the lines is incredible :)

Yeah the speed is what tempts me, just wandering if the mirage is as fun to fly.

DCS Wishlist

Tornado GR4

Sepecat Jaguar

Avro Vulcan

A1H Apache

lol no, i didnt mean to put M2000C in there and the F/A18 has been ordered for a while

Ah, well in that case. Hell yea the Viggen is worth it. As QuiGon says, gunning this beast at tree top level, avoiding air defenses, EWR's etc, and strike quick, mmmm so good :)

Plus its very unique system wise. Not hard, just different. Its very Swedish.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Ah, well in that case. Hell yea the Viggen is worth it. As QuiGon says, gunning this beast at tree top level, avoiding air defenses, EWR's etc, and strike quick, mmmm so good :)

Plus its very unique system wise. Not hard, just different. Its very Swedish.

Is it not illegal to like swedish things in denmark? :smilewink:

DCS Wishlist

Tornado GR4

Sepecat Jaguar

Avro Vulcan

A1H Apache

Is it not illegal to like swedish things in denmark? :smilewink:

Stay in one of the major cities in the summer, and watch the gorgeous blonde creatures flourish. Impossible not to like, hehe. Lived in Sweden for 10 years, and was often in Gothenburg, and oh my.

And yea it is... but, shhh ;)

I have (and love) the Mirage but my gut is telling me he won't get much seat time once the FA-18C hits, and you already have that.

I haven't spent too much time in the Viggen but it's a top quality module and a bit different from everything else available. HeatBlur are adding the bundled campaigns shortly so that's another tick in the box.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

Yeah the speed is what tempts me, just wandering if the mirage is as fun to fly.

Depends on how you define "fun to fly".

If you're looking for a plane just to fly, a seat of the pants one than M-2000C would be probably one of the last one on my list. It's mainly due to the fly-by-wire system. For many, L-39 would is a go-to plane for just flying arround.

If you're looking for a modern, full fidelity fighter, practicing BFM and AFM then M-2000C does his job really well. Though frankly speaking there is no other options at the moment.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

The AJS 37 is a very fun aircraft to have

but how much you will enjoy it will depend on what you intend to do with it.

The AJS 37 is a Air-ground aircraft aimed towards anti-ship and interdiction type missions

and as such its supposed to get to a target (flying low and fast) deliver all of its ordnance in a single pass (or 2 if carrying guided weapons like AGM-65 or RB 05A) and then get out of there as quickly as possible.

Due to this its not well suited for other air-ground missions such as CAS as its weapons / weapon delivery modes are not set up for that kind of mission

which reduces the amount of targets you can destroy per sortie as compared to other air-ground aircraft such as the A-10,AV-8B Su-25 etc.

But for doing anti-ship or interdiction type missions its a ton of fun.

Hell one of the most fun things to do with the Viggen is using the thrust reverser on the ground and trying to land in the shortest distance possible.

But before you decide on the AJS 37 do your research and think about what you want with it.

If you want an aircraft that is fast and that has advanced systems and can do all kinds of air-ground missions while still being able to defend itself then you might want to wait for the F/A-18C.

But if you want a 1970s design with the early generation hud/aircraft computer that is a bit more clunky (but more fun) to use that is made for a very specific task then im sure you will love the AJS 37.

And as for the Mirage 2000C its a very fun fighter and can be effective against the other 4th gen Fighters as long as the pilot knows how to use the Mirage correctly and make up for its weaknesses

(Being limited to 4 missiles and not having a Active radar or IR BVR missile).

But again there the F/A-18C will not have those air-air weaknesses of the Mirage as it as it can carry the best missiles of the game (Aim-9X and Aim-120C) and can carry a large number of them.

Though Ofc the F/A-18C is not yet out and we dont know how soon and it will also not be feature complete on early access release so will be missing plenty of features (For example if i recall correctly it will only have unguided air-ground weapons when released)

But when it comes down to the AJS 37 vs Mirage it comes down to what you want the focus to be on Air-air or air-ground

(as the AJS 37 is a air-ground aircraft that has Aim-9s for self defence and the mirage 2000 is a Fighter that can also do some air-ground with bombs and rockets)

Edit:

If you have already ordered the F/A-18C i would probably say go for AJS 37.

Since with the F/A-18C for air-air there is less need to have the mirage (as the F/A-18C will have mostly advantages and they are the same generation of aircraft)

where as the AJS 37 is so different and unique and has such a different feel from the F/A-18C that it will still have appeal even after F/A-18C release.

(especially as it will take time for the F/A-18C to get guided weapons which will give the AJS 37 an advantage initially for some air-ground tasks).

Edited by mattebubben

Thanks for all the reply’s and help, I’ve decided to go for the viggen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCS Wishlist

Tornado GR4

Sepecat Jaguar

Avro Vulcan

A1H Apache

Thanks for all the reply’s and help, I’ve decided to go for the viggen

:thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg