No compass

Tiger-II

Hi,

Love the Viggen! :thumbup:

I was doing some flying the other night and the first flight went fine. I landed and shutdown to refuel. When I started up again, I had no compass.

Is there something I need to do to get it to work? I followed the same start procedure as I used for the first flight.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

What do you mean by no compass? HUD or the ring around the radar? Are you talking about the display of the heading to selected waypoints? Or even the backup compass?

Try to check the manual, there are multiple things to consider regarding second takeoffs. You need to switch from Nav back to BER master mode after landing for example. You might need to hit Rensa or reload data catridge or reprogram the flightplan, depending on what you want to do.

The manual is pretty clear about that stuff if you carefully read.

It also mentions multiple times to check whether current time and tajeoff runway is correctly set and to manually enter if not. (which it probably is not for a second takeoff)

Edited by Zabuza

Yes, I did that (set BER during taxi-in, reloaded the data cartridge, etc..).

As I wrote, I went through the same procedures as when I conduct the first flight, but the compass (ring around the RADAR) does not align, and does not move.

The heading in the ADI did not rotate, either, but the ADI appeared to work in pitch and roll.

Beyond loading the data cartridge, I haven't looked at the navigation system yet.

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

OK - I'll have another look!

Thank you! :)

Did you you have a navigation system warning (NAV-SYST) on the right warning panel?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Did you you have a navigation system warning (NAV-SYST) on the right warning panel?

I think that time I did, yes.

I tried this again, and it seemed to be working, so I'm not sure what I did differently.

I think that time I did, yes.

I tried this again, and it seemed to be working, so I'm not sure what I did differently.

Maybe this:

2: The Nav warning light on my right panel sometimes won't turn off after startup. Everything seems normal and nothing seems out of the ordinary, Nav is ok, waypoints are where they're supposed to be and doing what it's supposed to do. But that yellow warning text just stays there and never extinguish. I put in the cartridge, flip the selector to REF/LOLA input 9099 but for some reason, the Nav warning light will turn on and never turns off during the entire flight.

This happens when you turn the knob master mode selector to fast to "NAV", when the off symbol still showing on the ADI ball. If it happens just turn the knob master mode selector back to "BER" and the back to "NAV".

If it happens during take off, it is because you have wrong airfield in LS. If you look at the gyro compass ring if will be corrected when you accelerate on the runway. For instance if rwy hdg is 27, when you line up your gyro show 265 the computer will correct the deviation to 270. The gyro will jump to 270. But that ofc that is if the computer know where you are.

In short: You need to wait for your systems to be powered up entirely before interacting with the computer and its nav system.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg