Bought the Viggen

Dav IRL

None of the other aircraft currently in DCS require a flight plan to drop bombs, but that will change for sure in the future as quite a lot of the dedicated strike aircraft of the mid and late cold war required this. But I was talking about data cartridges in general, which are important to pretty much all fighters since the 80s to configure flight plans, weapons, countermeasures and various other things. These things are configured by the pilots on a computer before mission start and then being saved on the data cartridge which will be inserted into the jet. DCS does not offer such a feature, which requires the pilot to configure a lot of stuff in the cockpit itself, like weapon profiles in the A-10C for example.

It would be great if ED would implement some interface that would allow to configure these things prior to mission start and be able to save and load these settings on different missions as well, just like in another F-16 based flight sim.

Besides that, it's not that much of an issue in the Viggen, as you can pretty easily create a flight plan using the onboard computer in the cockpit.

I happen to work with a gentleman who used to be a test pilot engineer on among other things, the A-10B (yes, you heard me right), and when I mentioned this aspect of the Viggen, he was immediately familiar of doing similar on that era's aircraft. He talked of doing up mission plans on Sun Microsystems workstations, dumping to tape, and carrying them out to the plane.

To QuiGon's point though, mastering the CK37 to make a flightplan is essential. If you bind the Viggen's number pad to your own along the with "LS" key, "Input/Output" switch, and a few others, you can enter in coordinates and other information really quickly. I keep a small steno notepad at my desk to scratch down coordinates in the F10 map, then mash them all into the computer. Takes a few extra minutes of prep, but totally doable. QFE can be calculated since the altitude is given.

Here's a tutorial on QFE and how to calculate it in MP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEovtSLiUsgAnd here's entering coordinates in MP:

Hope this helps!

Kozality

Vargar 1-2

107th JAS

http://throughtheinferno.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Again, I appreciate your opinion and you being honest. Out of curiosity, what is your "Textures" setting set at?

The Viggen cockpit is very frequently touted as one of, if not, the best in DCS.

If we were not satisfied with how it looks (and as art director, it's very dear to me that it does) - we'd be ripping it apart and redoing it.

If you feel that the Harrier cockpit looks better than I'm afraid we're at an impasse in agreeing with eachother. :)

Indeed my texture quality is set to high, it is a must, couldn't do medium or heaven forbid low. All The side panels and radar are unbelievably well done, that is without a doubt, with flipped mirrors and sharper text on the weapons selector I know it will be tighter, I would like to see the hue and lighting in the cockpit to be warmer and more vibrant, that is all.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

We didn't yet receive the Viggen update since Heatblur Simulations decided to only push it to major DCS updates.

Since the last campaign announcement there was no major DCS update, only minor bug fixes. I'm not sure whether they have finished the campaign yet, but sounds like. In either case we need to wait for the next DCS major update to see the Viggen updates.

• 1 month later...
1. The mirrors don't fold in and it doesn't look great at all to be honest, other modules have folding mirrors.

2. Some controls can't be programmed in the controls menu.

5. For instance there is a green blob in the hud? What the hell is that?

I added that 5. 'cos this is a point. And I reported it already, it's new in 2.5. You can raise the HUD glass though, then it goes away.

As for #1, I've literally seen thousands of videos in which the guys can click the mirrors and they fold away or back to use in virtually every plane. I still haven't found the magic to do so myself, is there a mod or something else needed to do this? Last time was just a few weeks ago and I tried it in the Harrier, the Viggen, the A-10C and one of the old Russian FC3 planes. I don't have this feature, no matter if I set mirrors on or off in the options.

But well, I've also seen guys clicking the reset aileron trim button in the Viggen (pretty much all of the tutorials, e.g. Bunyap's or xxJohnxx's have it IIRC), and I don't even get a "you can click me" highlight when I mouse over it. Just like the mirrors...

#2 is an issue that every module has. Even the ones from ED. Ask the WH users rdlaugh.png

Patience is gold. I had to wait for, I think, 3 years to get the FFB trim fixed on the MiG-21bis. And I'm waiting for like 5 years or so already to get that fixed on the Flankers since they've been provided with an AFM, they're impossible to fly straight without pushing the stick forward even at full nose down trim above ~400kph. Compared to that the issues here are funny.

This is part of DCS and early access, for the price of a pizza you get to support literally years of work, and help them finish it.

Beyond which moon is a pizza that expensive? luna-trcv.png

I have to concur. We get more than enough bang for the buck here ajmug.png

And at least for me, it's also quite enjoyable to be the test pilot and try out everything and then report what's off and see it fixed eventually dealwithit.png

To QuiGon's point though, mastering the CK37 to make a flightplan is essential. If you bind the Viggen's number pad to your own along the with "LS" key, "Input/Output" switch, and a few others, you can enter in coordinates and other information really quickly. I keep a small steno notepad at my desk to scratch down coordinates in the F10 map, then mash them all into the computer. Takes a few extra minutes of prep, but totally doable. QFE can be calculated since the altitude is given.

This is still faster than waiting 8 minutes for the M2kC's INS to align rdlaugh.png

And actually it's possible to dial in just the altitude difference. When starting at 10m ASL and the target is at 60m ASL, just adjust the altimeter so it shows -50m so it would be 0 at the moment you'd crash into the target which, of course, you don't since it's your weapons' job to do so pinkiepieexcited.png

I just wanted to say that it's possible to completely ignore the QFE values if you know the ASL... given the weather is the same all over the map though twilighthappy.png

If not, you won't get the exact target area QFE anyway if you don't have a preplanned waypoint that gives you the QFE value on the kneeboard rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 3 months later...

Although I agree the Viggen is lacking in certain areas, including missing basic animations such as that of the toe brakes, the radar stick, the magnetic declination knob and many more, is packed with non clickable switches, missing mirrors etc - I do not think that it looks bad at all, even the opposite. I believe it is one of the finest looking models in DCS, both interior and exterior wise and the textures are of superb quality.

For me, the main problem is the lack of export of the radar and the Maverick's screen to the second monitor.

oh you can export it to your second screen

the only issue is you need to change some init files for the radar / mav / nav / ...

it works pretty good but you keep in mind to reinstall it after every update (use a mod updater maybe)

the only issue is, the mav sight moves as you move your head, so it is not useable on second screen

i would recommend to leave it be and only export the radar, this makes sense

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

oh you can export it to your second screen

the only issue is you need to change some init files for the radar / mav / nav / ...

it works pretty good but you keep in mind to reinstall it after every update (use a mod updater maybe)

the only issue is, the mav sight moves as you move your head, so it is not useable on second screen

i would recommend to leave it be and only export the radar, this makes sense

Thank you! I did not know about it. Is there any link how to do this?

I find: radar's export works with old file init.lua.

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."devices_defs.lua")
local my_path = LockOn_Options.script_path.."VIGGEN_RADAR/"

indicator_type = indicator_types.COMMON

indicator_type       = indicator_types.COMMON----------------------
init_pageID     = 2
purposes 	   = {render_purpose.GENERAL,render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW}
--subset ids
BASE    = 1
RADARTEST2 = 2

page_subsets  = {
[bASE]    		= LockOn_Options.script_path.."Radar/Indicator/base_page.lua",
[RADARTEST2] = LockOn_Options.script_path.."Radar/Indicator/radar.lua",
}
pages = 
{
{
 BASE,
 RADARTEST2
 },
}

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua") 
try_find_assigned_viewport("VIGGEN_RADAR")

Export TV from maverick remains a mystery for me.

Edited by Rtyer

Just bought it last night also.

Is this only me or a known issue? When turning toward the sun the entire side of the canopy glass looks like its fogging up and then becomes white. Not glare opaque looking that sunglasses would take care of but someone hit it with a coat of white spray paint or that fake snow in a can.

I have this issue also. It's probably the sun reflection in the canopy, the problem is that all the canopy goes white opaque.

I'm sure it'll get fixed.

Amazing module. My favourite right now.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

• 3 weeks later...

So far it's my favorite plane to fly. I've been flying DCS on and off for about 8 years now and Viggen brought me back in (along with F18).

I honestly prefer flying the Viggen vs the F18.

Actually... more on that honesty, I love flying the Viggen, Harrier and the F18. I love many of the newer modulues lol.