DCS: Fw 190A-8 Discussion

NineLine

What is the proofe source for these exhaust problems? Never saw it in any professional reviews. Even Soviet war-time review mentioned reactive stacks of common design giving noticable power increment at high speed.

By the way, fan cooling gave advantages in overall cooling power loss comparing to common approach.

Since those engines used over laped valve timing with supercharger overpressure exaust gases are flashed completly out of cylinder i cant immagine what significant power increase from exaust manifold design would it be beside some added thrust from exaust gases but supercharge engines mainly dont like exaust manifolds

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concerning FM and physics generally, last minute report:

The most interesting challenge was writing fan-driven cooling model. It was possible to use some real world tests data to verify the system.

By the way, the fan absorbs significant power from the shaft...

The engine model was made using very detailed supercharger graphs obtained in tests.

Komandogerat is WIP full steam.

Sounds good :pilotfly:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• ED Team
Since those engines used over laped valve timing with supercharger overpressure exaust gases are flashed completly out of cylinder i cant immagine what significant power increase from exaust manifold design would it be beside some added thrust from exaust gases but supercharge engines mainly dont like exaust manifolds

I had the same explanation, but I can not imagine that German engineers from BMW did not understand what they are doing making this decision.

Anyway, the valve timing are known, the ignition order is known, so anyone can plot comparative diagram for coupled cylinders.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I had the same explanation, but I can not imagine that German engineers from BMW did not understand what they are doing making this decision.

Anyway, the valve timing are known, the ignition order is known, so anyone can plot comparative diagram for coupled cylinders.

i am not gona argue you got the data about this :)

i think Hawker Sea Fury used something similar but i think those are just exhaust pipes stack thogether.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team
i am not gona argue you got the data about this :)

i think Hawker Sea Fury used something similar but i think those are just exhaust pipes stack thogether.

By the way, powerplants for P-47, P-38 and other planes with turbocarged engines had one common collector before a turbine where all cylinders were coupled together.

Regarding this picture F-4U must not fly at all...

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/03/f4u-4-modelers-notes.html

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

By the way, powerplants for P-47, P-38 and other planes with turbocarged engines had one common collector before a turbine where all cylinders were coupled together.

Regarding this picture F-4U must not fly at all...

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/03/f4u-4-modelers-notes.html

Most common plane which used turbocharging durign ww2 was b-17 i think

Yes when engine is cupled with turbocharger most effiecient way is to connect all exhaust from each cylinder in to coletor than connect it it turbine inlet. Engine is dealing with increased back pressure in exhaust but turbocharger is very effiecient device much better then mechnical driven supercharger.

The A series has no turbo. we are talking a different beast. the reason for having a collector ring(on US engines) is to keep the exhaust outlets from each cylinder about the same length. it also gave a convenient place to have a waste gate (on turbocharged engines). engine manufactures have seen advantages tuning intake and exhaust pulse for years. see a 50s or 60s era formula 1 car and see some of the extravagant exhaust systems they had, every little bit helps.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i assume that those formula 1 engines from 50-60 were non charged engines right in those exhaust/intake design impact performance by a great deal in scavenging combustion chamber. In supercharged engines this effect is reduced.

i was curious about numbers Yo-Yo said that exhaust stack did noticeable power increase at high speeds. Even very small boost is enough to scavenge combustion chamber completely. I think in f4u main reason for manifold collectors is to prevent exhaust gases entering numerous intakes for coolers for carburetor etc simply to control exhaust gases flow around plane.But still exhaust collector will reduce back pressure but what power increase levels engine could get out of it, no idea

Edited by grafspee

• 3 weeks later...

I have some questions please. Why is ED developing the FW190A-8 when they haven't even finished the kick starter P47 or Me262? Why are these two planes not top priority to complete the original kick starter WWII debacle? I supported ED and thanked them for a couple of years for picking up this mess and committing to finishing it, but here we are how many years later and still no P47 or Me262? I don't understand how that is and yet we have an FW190A-8 taking its first flights in sim by ED? Does anyone know why this is happening?

S!Blade<><

Because the Fw-190A8 is much more useful for DCS WW2 than the Me262? German side needs some bread and butter fighter that was actually deployed in large numbers, fought over Normandy and also a ground attack plane like the Fw-190F8.

Better they try to save the project and correct course than following a bad plan forever.

The P-47 was meant to be the next module but faced some problems during the early stages of development with regards to the lack of wind tunnel original data. We knew a story about how Republic was sold to Fairchild and their archives scrapped without a thing remaining. So ED had to figure out how to get the kind of data they need for the kind of simulation they do. Meanwhile the Yak-52 came and that helped with a bunch of things, radial engine development (also to be used in the Fw190A) and the possibility to have access to a regularly flying machine in the World as Yak-52 is, so they learnt how to get flying data from sensors in the aircraft and how they compare to published charts of the model. Now I guess they need to have access to a flying P-47 and get permission to load their sensors as well as have a testing pilot there in order to try the machine to its limits and even out of the envelope (if they are allowed to do so), then check if the collected data is good enough for the sim and make the thing. So they need time, and cash.

Fw190 is just plenty of data to model it and they were to include the IA model, so why not pushing it as a full module in the meantime as P-47 research problems are solved.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

I have some questions please. Why is ED developing the FW190A-8 when they haven't even finished the kick starter P47 or Me262? Why are these two planes not top priority to complete the original kick starter WWII debacle? I supported ED and thanked them for a couple of years for picking up this mess and committing to finishing it, but here we are how many years later and still no P47 or Me262? I don't understand how that is and yet we have an FW190A-8 taking its first flights in sim by ED? Does anyone know why this is happening?

S!Blade<><

Because of needed Documentation for an accurate simulation of the aircraft. Most information needed for P-47 was lost and so the process has been lengthened unfortunately. :cry:

Ex Alto Vincimus

• ED Team

S!Blade<><

P-47 is at about the same stage as the A8 right now, and the 262 is going good on research and such.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

P-47 is at about the same stage as the A8 right now, and the 262 is going good on research and such.

P-47 is at about the same stage as A8 now, we only missing whole 3d model so we can't do any screenshots yet :)

I mean, who wouldn't want this full module right now :pilotfly:

Weeeell well, what the h... yeah, I'm gonna buy all ASM/PFM DCS WW2 modules the day they're released. You can bank on that my friend :D

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Does the A8 come with the new damage model?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3735501&postcount=177

DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt, DCS: de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI, and DCS: Fw 190 A-8 Shrike

These three of these aircraft are well underway and we plan to release or more in 2019. With the addition of the new damage model, dynamic campaign, new World War II maps, and more units added to the World War II Assets Pack like the Ju-88, Bf 109G, C-47, A-20G, and others, DCS World War II will continue to grow and bring great new gameplay!

Edited by Silver_Dragon

That's good to know :beer: . Thanks for the "update".

S!

That doesn't answer the question. The new DM could be released before or after the A8. Or the A8 could be the first plane to feature it. :music_whistling:
Or maybe they all got it at once at Fw190 release, which would be the best IMO as a whole new DM would be a game changer and unfair for some to have it while others don't. Lets hope.

S!