Take Off in the Bf 109K-4 - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #21
DB 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post

I just don't like having my wings ripped off all of a sudden just as I pull it a little bit over the fence...
Agreed, hopefully devs pay some attention to this.
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

DB 605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #22
Random

Agree on the wings breaking. All modules need some attention here... I'd love to see things getting bent out of shape permamently as you exceed the G limits before ripping off entirely if you continue to pull harder etc.

Tonight I plan to get my takeoffs sorted.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #23
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
I still think elevator / pitch trim need fine tuning ( Yo-Yo... ) The k4 "catapults" from ground at takeoff, even if instead of setting the stabilator at "1" as suggested, I set it at "2" - full nose heavy.

Until I pick good speed, my nose want's to come up and I am forced to use forward stick.

Landing seems very good though, and at landing configuration and power I get plausible pitch and required trim.

I find the overall feel of flight very good, with a docile cruise equilibrium - properly trimmed for cruise for sure.

I just don't like having my wings ripped off all of a sudden just as I pull it a little bit over the fence...
The problem is that the real trim was exactly the same we have now regarding the elevator position. In the powered flight the plane was neutral and trim position was stick forward within the whole IAS range. For gliding, especially with empty tank, stick aft was only at low speed.
The same is for the stick forses - pull, pull and pull. Even with full nose-heavy stab position - slightly pull at full tank aft balance condition.

Last edited by Yo-Yo; 12-03-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #24
Eight Ball

I need some training too

Eight Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #25
Gascan39

"Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full"
Gascan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #26
jcomm

Yes,

at cruise power settings the aircraft is a charm to handfly - incredibly stable, and exhibiting neutral stability in pitch - feels like it has FBW

And indeed in landing configuration it behaves exactly as you say Yo-Yo, and is very docile and easy to land, provided you get it right in terms of approach, over the threshold and flare speeds!

I am also very satisfied with the ground handling, particlularlly during taxi. It's evident for me that after all the "excessive" torque effects can be readily overcome with the locked tailwheel, and the fact that it is correctly modeled in DCS World's K4 makes a big difference!

Excellent work Yo-Yo !!! Congratulations And yes.... she can be a bitch!

P.S: I haven't yet read the Manual ( I should, I know :-/ ) but I guess that there are some important aspects to bare in mind during takeoff:

1) Use Manual Pitch, and set the prop pitch at 12 o'clock, not 12:30 as it tends to default in the Takeoff Quick Mission!
2) Full nose heavy stabilator seems ideal for takeoff ( 2 )
3) Once airborne, change back into Automatic Pitch Control.

Last edited by jcomm; 12-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #27
Rabbit_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Ball View Post
I need some training too

I don't know why, but I just love Your video.
Rabbit_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #28
Kwiatek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Ball View Post
I need some training too

Well second take off looks strange. I think 109 should stall like the hell after aribone with such wing drop and you should make big boom on the ground like it was with first take off.

Also looking at DavidRed landing i saw that during approach before touch down at speed below 200 kph and nose up position slats were still closed - i think they should be full open. ( in 109 slats open about 200 kph with increasing angle of attack)

Last edited by Kwiatek; 12-03-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Kwiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #29
Aginor
Veteran

I was pretty sure he'd crash in that second attempt, but he managed to just get the AOA so he'd still fly.

Cool vid!

But you really shouldn't yank like that on the stick at takeoff. That's what caused the crash on the first attempt I guess.

As for your landing: If your approach isn't good you shouldn't force it. You should have aborted, especially after you bounced the first time. On grass.
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #30
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiatek View Post
Well second take off looks strange. I think 109 should stall like the hell after aribone with such wing drop and you should make big boom on the ground like it was with first take off.

Also looking at DavidRed landing i saw that during approach before touch down at speed below 200 kph and nose up position slats were still closed - i think they should be full open. ( in 109 slats open about 200 kph with increasing angle of attack)

They work not for the dynamic pressure but for AoA. If you do not see them out with flaps it means that the AoA is not high enough.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote