No limitation on MW-50? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-15-2018, 02:44 AM   #1
J13 Serenity

Default No limitation on MW-50?

Map with standard pressure and 15C temp

Bf 109 with full fuel and ammo
Full power with 2800RPM and >1.8 ATA
Limitation is 10 minutes, but after >40 min airplane run out of fuel, but engine was fine
Altitudes were between 4-8K meters

Is it normal?
DCS 2.5
J13 Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
razo+r
Veteran

Did you turn it on and confirmed that MW-50 is loaded and not fuel?

Rig: Maximus VII Ranger, 4790K @ 4.00 Ghz, MSI GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, 250 GB SAMSUNG EVO 850 SSD, 2TB HDD, Win 10 64-bit
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
saburo_cz

J13 Serenity is right.
I tried it on default map, i think with 20°C, and plane flew with MW ON and engine setting 2800/1,8 until MW tank was empty.
It took slightly more than 30 minutes, after 25-26 MW pressure started to go down slowly and after 30 engine started to shake because MW pressure was too low.
I flew mostly above 500km/h, for several times i slowed down under 400km/h.
Oil and coolant temperatures were on theirs upper limits the whole time.

IMO something here is wrong...
Old 10-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
saburo_cz

Anything about this troublesome bug?
MW system of 109 seems to be totaly unrealistic, but contrarily to MW of 190...
Old 10-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
jcomm

Definitely something wrong.

Wasn't aware of it and reproduced yesterday. 30 min non-stop full emergency power! No consequences.
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
rogonaut

wasnt aware either but this needs to be looked at - aaand the mw50 of the dora.
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
DefaultFace

This probably has to do with the “thermodynamic engine model”. You can usually vastly exceed the officially listed time limits in all the warbirds in dcs. It’s better than setting time limits till an engine explodes as the other sim does it, but obviously it discounts the fact that irl you would have to use the engine again and as such would significantly reduce the service life of such an engine by abusing it in that way.

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
saburo_cz

No one here is asking for engine dead during 11th minute MW running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultFace View Post
This probably has to do with the “thermodynamic engine model”.
No probably but definitely!

If i fly 25 minutes with MW ON with speed range betwen 375 and 550km/h TAS and ends with several 360° turns at speed 450km/h TAS and my coolant flaps are nearly close, then yes, it is conected with “thermodynamic engine model”.

Question is if it is modeled yet or it is modeled oposite way?

When engine is running with MW ON, it consumes (burns) more fuel, and it means increased temperature, not decreased...
Old 10-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
DefaultFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by saburo_cz View Post
No one here is asking for engine dead during 11th minute MW running...
I didn't think you were .

I don't know if its accurate or not either. Its hard to say when and how exactly an engine like this will fail, and is obviously very dependent on a large number of variables. Even with pilot reports or stories, you never know the entire story about what condition an engine was in or what the pilot or other pilots did to it beforehand. Engines (as well as anything else designed by Engineers) are designed based on assumed loads and usually with a certain safety margin. Basically the engines are designed to last x number of flying hours before being replaced/overhauled, but since we get a brand new factory fresh, perfectly manufactured and maintained engine for every flight we can abuse our engines alot more than the manual says we should and get away with it.

MW also has a certain cooling effect on the engine obviously, which may help things here...

Maybe we will see some improvements in this area with the new DM? I have always felt like you can get away with being quite lazy as far as taking care of your aircraft/engine in DCS, and ignore all sorts of IRL procedures or not ever bother checking temperature gauges. Even when flying manual prop pitch and overspeeding the engine a bit by accident doesnt have much effect as long as you dont do it too long. Ive flown the mustang with a broken governor for 10 minutes with 4500rpm as well..... Funnily enough back when I was very new to DCS I managed to break the engine in the 109 quite regularly, but as I got better at flying it seemed to happen less and less... Same thing with the Mustang for me. I don't think anything changed with the modelling though (except in the spitfire, which used to overheat much more easily).

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
saburo_cz

I just think, with my limited knowledge about it, that MW 50 on DB605 is not correctly simulated.
And I'd rather hear something from ED, doesn`t matter if i am correct or not.
Only ask for, it is OK because.. or we will check it.