1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

The OB is the same as the full release NOW, as I also mentioned. But it won't stay the same. The OB will only be updated as a beta and not receive the same updates as the full release and vice versa.

As for the command prompt, I do now recall reading about that (perhaps from your own mention of it at some point when I was researching how to deal with the various iterations of the sim once before this recent update). You didn't mention that, though, in your initial response to me. And it's hardly a user friendly method of updating.

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks. A bit late (through no fault of your own).

My query as to where you were was in response to your tone, not your content. Perhaps I read you wrong, but you seemed to be indicating, after pages of contradictory information being given by others, mostly to the contrary of your statements, that I should have just known how to do what you were suggesting. Of course, I didn't, hence my repeated queries lately in this thread (beginning on the 6th in this thread).

And if you can be forgiven for not monitoring the thread 24/7 (of course), I think I can be forgiven for not reading all 100 pages of it again, since I did try to follow it pretty closely when it was started, trying to get ready to do the updates in the sanest possible way.

I'll stand by my main point, however, which is that this sim, and its multiple versions, and the official support on how to deal with those leaves a great deal to be desired.

And I'll thank you for your help.

EDIT: Just for other's information, I attempted the update of my Open Beta version as described above and it worked quickly and well. Hard to tell how it would work for someone not already having installed the full release, since it found all the files it needed from there on my hard drive, of course. So it might still involve some significant downloading. It appears to have gotten roughly 16gb of files from my full release install.

Thanks for the clarifying words :)

My tone was a result of you (rightly so) calling it a stupidity to download something again that you have already downloaded. At first I wanted to start my first response to you with "It's very stupid indeed", but changed it to "It's not very smart indeed", which was not supposed to be an insult to you, but rather my consent to you that doing so is not something that should be necessary, which it isn't. I see how this can be taken as an offensive though, (which is the reason why I refrained from using softer words than the ones you used in the first place). I'm sorry if this was the case here. It was really not meant as an insult to you.

I'm glad the actual problem is sorted out now, but I just want to clarify something you just said:

The OB is the same as the full release NOW, as I also mentioned. But it won't stay the same. The OB will only be updated as a beta and not receive the same updates as the full release and vice versa.

The usual process is, that ED will update the OB with a new version (then OB and Full Release will be different) and 1-2 weeks later the Full Release will follow and get the same update (then OB and Full Release will be the same untill the Ob gets updated again). So the OB and the Full Release will be on the same version at times (like now), while beeing at a different version at other times. The current version can always be seen here: https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updating to version 2.5

Hi,

I just have a few questions about updating to DCS World 2.5. Do I just delete the Saved Games/DCS/Config/options.lua file in my current 1.5 stable version before I update to 2.5 Stable then do the update? Also when updating do I just make a new folder anywhere on the same Hard Drive and have the updater keep my current 1.5 there? Does this folder have to be in a certain place?

Thanks,

oztripwire

I got a question about the home folders, the DCS.release_1_5 doesn't seem to be created so here's what i had/did:

- Had (and still have) 1.5 release, 2.2 Open alpha and 2.5 Open beta, all with the correct paths in the registry

- Downloaded and installed 2.5 release, that copied 100+Gb from Open alpha, all peachy everything works no problems (although OA not tested, don't care)

- Ran the dcs_updater for 1.5 with the repair and update command line parameter, that hardly did anything but at least it's updated

- Started 1.5 release, works, started 2.5 release and it works

Now i still don't have that DCS.release_1_5 home folder under Saved games, did i miss a step here? Now i got 1 home folder for 2 DCS versions (1.5 rel. & 2.5 rel.)

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to update my DCS 2.5 Open Bata to the current version(2.5.1.58) since Monday evening and it is taking a VERY VERY long time. I had it downloading via the auto updater the other day and today is disconnected itself and I had to restart the updater again. It has been updating for 3 hours and sitting at 137.2 of 9025.0 MBytes. Is there another way to d/l and install this quicker? Please help, I want to get flying the F/A-18C Hornet in the Persian Gulf Scenery. Many Thanks, Wayne

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

Hi, After 24 hours is states: DCS Updater 2.8.1.58 Downloaded: 3% (317.0 of 9025.0 MBytes). I am stopping the download because this is excessive. Please help. Everything else that I have updated has been rather quick. Thanks, Wayne

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

• 2 weeks later...

buenas tardes, quisiera preguntar si al día de hoy 20/6/18 ya se termino la transición que comentan, ya que sigo teniendo instaladas 3 versiones, la 1.5.8 la 2.5.0 y la open beta 2.5.2, esto está bien, no entiendo si hay que desinstalar alguna o hay que esperar, muchas gracias.

Sorry, answering in spanish.

La 1.5.8 está ahora mismo descatalogada y no soportada por ED. Esto significa que no va a haber ninguna actualización ni soporte para ningún modulo nuevo en la 1.5.8

Respecto de la Open Beta 2.5.2 y la Release 2.5.0 eso queda a tu elección. Todas las novedades son traídas primero a la Open Beta y después de un tiempo pasan a la Release. Si tienes espacio en el disco duro puedes tener las dos. Si solo quieres tener una te recomiendo que escojas la que más encaje con tu perfil.

Aunque siempre puedes cambiar de la Open Beta a la Release a voluntad usando un comando de Dos.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

• 1 month later...
Good grief, I come to this thread and see utter chaos. You folks are making this sound much more complicated than it really is.

If you have a version of the game, ANY version, it will eventually update to 2.5, the only thing that is different is which one gets it first. So... you don't need to do ANYTHING. Sit back and wait for the prompt.

If you have multiple versions of the game.... DO NOTHING. It will do its thing when the time comes in the most efficient manner. When it's done, keep 2.5 and delete the others. If for some reason you want to keep 1.5, it will be made available as a separate download at a future date, but will no longer be supported.

Do you see the common thread in both cases? DO NOTHING. It's really simple. WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE UPDATE. Then you can worry about which installs you want to keep.

Extremely. Simple. Stop. Over. Complicating. Things.

You're all thinking... WAAAAAY too much. It's 2018, this stuff is mostly automated ;)

ON THAT NOTE, I'm pleased to see with my current setup all I have to do is sit back, smoke a cigar, and watch the madness while bemusedly muttering "You poor bastards..."

Switching the PC on and returning to DCS after a forced break (12 months) to undertake a house renovation ... I was expecting to spend a few nights updating Windows 10, DCS and other out-of-date stuff on my computer but... Jesus... (what happened!) 38 pages on and I am totally confused but, thankfully feel more at ease now that I have just read this post (see above) - many thanks :)

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

• 1 year later...
Thanks for doing this

For those that have missing reg keys and you are unsure how to add

them I have attached a zip file with an reg file in it. With all 3 DCS branches set

Just merge it with your registry and then open regedit to change the path as necessary, I hope this helps someone

Thanks for this post.

A question: I am confused about the registry entry "Version: 1.5" for "DCS World OpenBeta".

Shouldn't this be 2.5 instead of 1.5?

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1